Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 63 of 111123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:59 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Actually, 007, most ball clubs have the loss of season ticket rule now. I think it's a fantastic idea. It prevents these ticket scalpers calling themselves "ticket agencies" from buying season tickets.
Other than the fact that they have the shittiest coach in the NFL, I have always liked the Giants. A little. I am, of course, a 30 year Patriot fan and will remain so wherever I may go.

i dont even live in the US but will always like the NY jets no matter what. whether they be good, bad or indifferent - they will always be my team :)

Al

ps. one of my "things to do" on my list, is to go and see the jets at home someday!

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:22 pm 

Deadlord, you and Badmike both got that right about Coughlin.
And you know, I used to like him alot, too.  When they hired him, I really thought he'd turn things around.  Guess not.  :roll:

ETA -- I just read the Cowboy Cheerleaders are in Iraq doing a USO tour visiting the troops.  Apparently they do this on a regular basis.  Very cool!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:53 pm 

Well, Tiki Barber is actually quite a nice and forgiving guy. It should have been pretty clear when he left pissed off that Coughlin was killing the team.
I used to be an adamant believer that the Falcons would never amount to shit with Vick as quarterback. I hated him in college, I lambasted Atlanta for picking him (and guess who they DIDN'T pick), and I loved the fact that they based the entire team on him ala Peyton Manning. I was actually bummed when he got canned; now they HAVE to get someone else, and might be contenders.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:56 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:The "kneel-down TD"?  Details, please--can I guess that the kneel-down itself was a fake (since the play is blown dead as soon as the knee touches down) and then there was a score?  
(I'm thinking along the lines of the "fake spike TD" that Dan Marino once pulled on the Jets in the Meadowlands a few years back . . .  .)

In the last minute of a already decided game in 1987 (1988?), Buddy Ryan called a "fake" kneel down on the last series of downs.  It's customary for the QB to kneel down and let the clock run out in games in which you are comfortably ahead, to avoid injury, and generally the losing team obliges by only putting on a half hearted rush of the QB.  However, on this play, Cunningham faked the kneel down, then threw a TD bomb to his uncovered and ignored wide receiver that had raced down the field undetected.  Like I said earlier, I've never seen nor heard of this happening in any level of football since this happened 20 years ago....it was a purely vindictive, classless act by a coach who never won a playoff game and was fired for his incompetence.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:18 pm 

Badmike wrote:
In the last minute of a already decided game in 1987 (1988?), Buddy Ryan called a "fake" kneel down on the last series of downs.  It's customary for the QB to kneel down and let the clock run out in games in which you are comfortably ahead, to avoid injury, and generally the losing team obliges by only putting on a half hearted rush of the QB.  However, on this play, Cunningham faked the kneel down, then threw a TD bomb to his uncovered and ignored wide receiver that had raced down the field undetected.  Like I said earlier, I've never seen nor heard of this happening in any level of football since this happened 20 years ago....it was a purely vindictive, classless act by a coach who never won a playoff game and was fired for his incompetence.  

Mike B.

You must have missed the fake punt that Sam Wyche called when coaching the Bengals called back in the late 80's/early 90's against Houston late in the fourth quarter of a game that Cinnci was leading 51-7.    Needless to say it worked like a charm and they scored a TD on it.  Sam Wyche wasn't much of a fan of Jerry Glanville at the time and did this to prove it. :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:54 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

You must have missed the fake punt that Sam Wyche called when coaching the Bengals called back in the late 80's/early 90's against Houston late in the fourth quarter of a game that Cinnci was leading 51-7.    Needless to say it worked like a charm and they scored a TD on it.  Sam Wyche wasn't much of a fan of Jerry Glanville at the time and did this to prove it. :lol:

Whoo boy I did forget that one, LOL.  1989 and the Benglas put up over 60 in that game I believe. Not that I blame Wyche, Glanville was a clown, he probably said something idiotic to deserve that.  And IIRC, didn't the Bengals tack on a FG after that to further rub it in?????  Needless to say that was pretty bush league also, although if it happened to Glanville, pretty appropriate also.

Mike B .

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:59 pm 

Anybody watch hockey here?  Training camp has started and a few pre-season games have been played.  I already got 5 games booked for the frozen winter. :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:45 am 

Cattledog wrote:I'm an Eagles fan. Philadelphia is a great city and fans are rated as the most devoted. Unfortunately, they have a bad reputation that's really not deserved.

If you can't order a cheesesteak I'd say you've got some deep-seeded emotional issues to work out.

LOL!  You took the bait, Cattledog!   :D

We Cowboys fans do have deep-seated emotional issues.  Being Cowboys fans drives us nuts.

The Cowboys have won five Superbowls...which means that they have lost big playoff games...like...1000 times.  I don't have the energy to go see how many times the Cowboys have lost the NFC championship game, but it has to be a lot.  When your team goes to the playoffs every year for more than two decades you wrack up a hell of a lot of playoff frustrations.

The Cowboys' playoff defeats are on the highlight films of every other championship team.  Just hearing the phrase, "The Catch," still gives me facial tics.

The thing is, it is no fun being Aragorn without Sauron to defy.

It is no good being Dudley Do-right without Dick Dastardly.

Bugs Bunny would be nothing without Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Marvin the Martian or that construction guy who tries to build a freeway over his rabbit hole.

We Cowboys fans need the eagles the way Ali needed Frasier or Fonzi needed nerds.

So long as there are Dallas Cowboys to play Frodo, we will always need the eagles to play Smeagol, plotting and struggling to grasp the One Ring.

You go, eagles!  Make philadelphia proud.  :D

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:50 am 

Badmike wrote:
Unsolicited advice: You guys need to fire Coughlin TOMORROW.  The team is a reflection of their coach...rigid, uncreative, and unfun. I bet if they got someone in their that would loosen upa  bit, the entire organization could take a breath and start playing football....

Mike B.

I can't figure out why Coughlin wasn't fired last year.  He certainly deserved it.

However, the Giants are not in the bin for 2007 just yet.  They played a tough Cowboys team and a Green Bay team that has built a powerful defensive line.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:49 am 

well Cattledog, i have the eagles QB in my team, so i will support them dude :) as long as he feckin performs that is (feckin useless pile of dog-dammit dung-eating....) :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 am 

FormCritic wrote:
I can't figure out why Coughlin wasn't fired last year.  He certainly deserved it.

However, the Giants are not in the bin for 2007 just yet.  They played a tough Cowboys team and a Green Bay team that has built a powerful defensive line.

Well, maybe not.  I hope things get better, but our defense looks really bad right now.  The secondary is swiss cheese, pressure on QBs is nonexistent and nobody seems motivated to actually tackle anybody.  
And the penalties!  Coughlin is supposed to be about discipline, but it seems to me we've had more penalties in the last couple of seasons than ever.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:05 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote:
Well, maybe not.  I hope things get better, but our defense looks really bad right now.  The secondary is swiss cheese, pressure on QBs is nonexistent and nobody seems motivated to actually tackle anybody.  
And the penalties!  Coughlin is supposed to be about discipline, but it seems to me we've had more penalties in the last couple of seasons than ever.

If Coughlin were about discipline he would have set a deadline on his star defensive end showing up in training camp...and then fined and cut him when he did not show.

My suspicion is that Coughlin is so tough that he is getting the opposite reaction out of his players.  

He has taken a team with playoff personnel and turned it into a losing franchise.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:39 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:well Cattledog, i have the eagles QB in my team, so i will support them dude :) as long as he feckin performs that is (feckin useless pile of dog-dammit dung-eating....) :D

Al

381 yds, 4TD. Thats pretty good. Lord, I hope they don't wear those unis for luck now.

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:39 am 

ROMO...MARION THE BARBARIAN.....T.O......3-0!

DOWN GO THE BEARS!  

I'm started to get a little excited by the Boys.  In the pitiful NFC, they seem to be one of the best.  Romo picked the vaunted Bears defense apart with strikes to Witten and T.O, and Marion the Barbarian absolutely used the Bears line for toilet paper in ripping off 100 yds and two TDs. On the defensive side, the Dallas D made Grossman look like the pathetic below average schmo he really is (how on earth did this guy lead his team to the Superbowl last year? Sheesh!!!) with three picks and several sacks.  

Should be a great matchup against the Pats in Week Six...both teams may come into the game undefeated.  Heavy props to the Pats, but the game will be in Dallas, so maybe the Boys have a chance...we'll have to wait and see.

So far though a nice season for America's Team....!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:07 am 

mike...

...whatever you do, DONT say "only in America"

i mean it, the next time i hear someone say that, i will literally throttle them.

sheesh man :)

Al

ps. i watched SF v Pittsburgh - good game - man the steelers defence is tough. they will take a lot of breaking down them, especially on rushing.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:58 am 

Only in America, Mike!  :D

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:18 am 

Hey, my G-Men actually pulled off a win!
I don't see them beating the Eagles next week, though.  Not unless they have a VERY good game and Philadelphia makes some mistakes.

Right now, Dallas looks like the team to beat in the NFC East.  I think it's going to end up between them and the Eagles this year.

But it's early yet.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:22 am 

Agent Cooper wrote:Hey, my G-Men actually pulled off a win!
I don't see them beating the Eagles next week, though.  Not unless they have a VERY good game and Philadelphia makes some mistakes.

Right now, Dallas looks like the team to beat in the NFC East.  I think it's going to end up between them and the Eagles this year.

But it's early yet.

i was tracking the philly game - was damn exciting stuff in the 1st half. 2nd half was a bit of a damp squib really in comparison, but they kept detroit scoreless which was pretty cool.

Al

ps. and WAHAY the jets won! YAHOOO!! :)

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 63 of 111123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 109110111