Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 6 of 111123, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:37 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Only five years....I don't know where I got 20  :oops: . Still, pretty mindboggling. Just think, if you hadn't minded rooming with a corpse, someone could have had five rent free years living there......!

Mike B.

Not doubt....but it would be hard to explain to your girlfriend why you lived with your mummy  :lol:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:34 am 

FormCritic wrote:Only five days to the Daytona 500!

Well, Formcritic, what a finish!!!

And, sure enough, there are fans who are already saying:
A)  Stewart got taken out by Kurt Busch;
B)  It's a conspiracy against the little teams--this is regarding no yellow flag on the last lap crash;
C)  NASCAR favors Jeff Gordon/Dale Jr./whoever else;
D)  Mark Martin got screwed by no yellow flag; etc.
E)  Insert your favorite conspiracy here or somehow blame it on GW Bush and global warming :D  :D  :lol:  :lol: .

OK, my $.02:  While I do ask where was the yellow flag in the last-lap carnage, had one been thrown, who would've won would've depended on WHEN.  I think I counted at least three or four lead changes from mid-turn four to start/finish;  had this been Talladega, there could have been at least one more!!

[For those not familiar, Talladega is a near-twin to Daytona, but longer, wider, more banked.  Start/Finish line is at the end of Pit Road instead of the middle of the tri-oval at Daytona.]

Of course, given all that's happened this week at Daytona, maybe it would be fitting if Harvick's car was found to have something wrong enough for a penalty severe enough to give the race to Mark Martin.... :oops:  :oops:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:51 am 

ohhhhh yeah this is that car race isnt it where the cars just go round and round and round and round and.... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:roll:

hehe

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:04 am 

killjoy32 wrote:ohhhhh yeah this is that car race isnt it where the cars just go round and round and round and round and.... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:roll:

hehe

Al

Much better watching someone get lost in a desert and go round and round and round and round and....  :lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:11 am 

....foreigners  :roll:  :roll:

Isn't soccor (that's french for 'Soccer') and rugby actually FOOTBALL?  :lol:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:41 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:....foreigners  :roll:  :roll:

but then isnt a ball ROUND?

and what is it with the wusses running round with like armour plating on or what ? :D

and oh yeah, we were playing FOOTBALL when you lot were still playing cowboys and indians so  :P

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:43 am 

improvstone wrote:
Much better watching someone get lost in a desert and go round and round and round and round and....  :lol:

hey i didnt get lost! :)

and you dont go round and round either....

dunno if you heard that story about the Italian guy some years back who got lost? he appeared 2 weeks later in Algeria. They still dont know to this day how the hell he survived :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:07 am 

..But Al he did die.  He was just too stuborn to lay down and admit it.  :wink:  :lol:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:23 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:..But Al he did die.  He was just too stuborn to lay down and admit it.  :wink:  :lol:

actually no he didnt  :P

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:24 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:....foreigners  :roll:  :roll:

and anyway...why do you call it football when most of the game is based around using the hands?

shouldnt it be called American Handball?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:42 am 

Just another example of the long-standing and very successful process of appropriating a popular event or concept to promote a new idea.

Much like the early Christians taking the Heathen celebration of the winter solstice and renaming it Christmas.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:54 am 

Well, I am from the States and I also think NASCAR is  ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz......

I can think of lots of things that I would rather watch then watch a bunch of cars drive around an oval for ac couple of  hours, things like watching the grass grow, the paint on the wall dry, etc.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:54 am 

just out of curiousity....does anyone know when the 1st american football game was played?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:58 am 

killjoy32 wrote:just out of curiousity....does anyone know when the 1st american football game was played?

Al

Sure....the day the Dallas Cowboys put on their uniforms and hit the field in the early 60s....nothing else before that really matters... :wink:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:02 am 

killjoy32 wrote:just out of curiousity....does anyone know when the 1st american football game was played?

Al

Well, according to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football

"Rutgers University and Princeton University played the first game of college football on Nov. 6, 1869 in New Brunswick, N.J.  . From the 1820s to around 1890, Dartmouth College students played a football-like game now known as "Old Division Football," to which they published rules in 1871."

Now I am not sure if that is the absolute first time that it was ever played, but I would imagine that it would not be too far off then.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:24 am 

bclarkie wrote:Well, I am from the States and I also think NASCAR is  ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz......

I can think of lots of things that I would rather watch then watch a bunch of cars drive around an oval for ac couple of  hours, things like watching the grass grow, the paint on the wall dry, etc.

I know what you mean....puts me to sleep.  But you ought to see all of the crazy nutjobs during race weekend here in the DFW area.  You dont want to be anywhere within 20 miles of the speedway the day of the race.  You will either get run off the road by some redneck yutz or stuck in the worst gridlock east of Los Angeles that will take you hours to get out of.

Speaking of nutjobs, this guy is probably what most people in the world think of when they think of NASCAR:

http://www.cybersalt.org/cleanlaugh/ima ... ascar3.htm

8O

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:00 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Well, according to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football

"Rutgers University and Princeton University played the first game of college football on Nov. 6, 1869 in New Brunswick, N.J.  . From the 1820s to around 1890, Dartmouth College students played a football-like game now known as "Old Division Football," to which they published rules in 1871."

Now I am not sure if that is the absolute first time that it was ever played, but I would imagine that it would not be too far off then.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I saw an exhibit in the pro football hall of fame showing a document that makes the first mention of a football match, and it was in Pennsylvania.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:49 am 

bah thats nothing....

"Documented evidence of what is possibly the oldest activity resembling football can be found in a Chinese military manual written during the Han Dynasty in about the 2nd century BC. It describes a practice known as cuju, which involved kicking a leather ball through a hole in a piece of silk cloth strung between two 30 foot poles."

what were the americans doing back then?  :P

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 6 of 111123, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 109110111