Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 11112, 3 ... 109110111
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:13 pm 

Thankfully, the self-policing members of this forum have seen fit to confine off-topic discussions to this single thread, for the most part.  Please continue this fine tradition.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:19 pm 

LOVE the ONE off topic thread...eliminates the clutter and makes for some crazy juxtipositions.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:25 pm 

So football season is over... :cry:

SO HOW BOUT THOSE DALLAS MAVERICKS!!!!

Choke in the title game last year, they have the best record in the league this year.  My question is for the euro/german members of the forum: with Dirk being the heart and soul of the team, does that actually make you follow the team any closer than you would (which would probably be not at all).  Do the French follow the exploits of Tony Parker and Pau Gasol?  What about any random giant Slavic player?  Just curious if there is anyone in Europe actually interested in American basketball with stars like Dirk, Parker, Gasol, Peja, etc playing here.  I know the Chinese are going ape-S over Yao Ming and the Rockets games are all broadcast over there.
 And wondering why there isn't a single pro basketball player from England....you poor, short, pasty skinned people!!!!  :P

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:46 am 

Badmike wrote:So football season is over... :cry:

Well our footy (pre) season will start soon (two weeks).  So expect to be inundated with tonnes of Aussie Rules posts.  I am sick ( :lol: ) of all the Grid Iron talk ...

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:25 am 

improvstone wrote:
Well our footy (pre) season will start soon (two weeks).  So expect to be inundated with tonnes of Aussie Rules posts.  I am sick ( :lol: ) of all the Grid Iron talk ...

I thought I heard there was going to be rules change(s) made to Aussie Rules this new season (term); I want to say it has something to do with a new score (besides the six for a goal and one for . . . rats, what's it called? I can't remember now), something similar to American football having the two-point conversion or the NBA having the three-point line.

By the way, when are the Aussie Rules teams going to put the player's name on the back of the "guernsey"?  (And if not soon, why not?)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:49 am 

Did our old off-topic thread get retired?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:52 am 

FormCritic wrote:Did our old off-topic thread get retired?

yes, rather like me it became old and cumbersome :o
(Actually, Foul locked at 100 pages!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:21 am 

sleepyCO wrote:
I thought I heard there was going to be rules change(s) made to Aussie Rules this new season (term); I want to say it has something to do with a new score (besides the six for a goal and one for . . . rats, what's it called? I can't remember now), something similar to American football having the two-point conversion or the NBA having the three-point line.

OK, two sets of goals.  The inner set is worth 6 points the other set is worth 1 point and is called a behind.  Which is the word I think you were looking for.  Although when one kicks a point you tend to here them say rats and lots of stronger language  :lol:  :lol:

In preseason, which starts in 2 weeks, you have a super goal ie outside 50m and is worth 9 points.  Plus I believe they are introducing 3 points for a rush behind.

sleepyCO wrote:By the way, when are the Aussie Rules teams going to put the player's name on the back of the "guernsey"?  (And if not soon, why not?)

Not likely.  I know who the players are by their number.  Much like I can tell the difference between vertical and horizontal stripes.  I hear a lot of complaints about some of the gurnseys looking the same.  Crap! Get better glasses.  :lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:21 am 

Bzr:

i thought ireland didnt look that convincing against wales. wales always play with lots of passion in their game, and always promise a lot but dont always quite deliver. ireland on the other hand have a very strong and settled team and you would always these days, expect them to consistently do well.

i agree, they should stroll it this year, but i wonder if they will? i think the game against france will be the one. gotta beat them to prove you are worthy of being champions imo.

i am not really bothered about whether england win it this year or not. all i want to see is a good chunk of improvement on the last few seasons. the games against scotland are always very tough and in key areas, i thought we competed a lot better than we have previously, so i remain more optimistic, but again, i will hold my judgment until we play the irish and the french....THEN we shall see how much they have improved. one things for sure, they now seem really up for a game, which is good to see....lots more spirit in their attitude.

should be a good 6 nations for a change methinks. the gaps between the teams are narrowing all the time and i think it makes for some great matches and much more entertainment for the punter.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:24 am 

killjoy32 wrote:Bzr:

... much rugby talk removed ...

Al

Maybe we should talk cricket?  eh Al  :lol:

Hey in all seriousness great chatting to you this morning.... don;t be a stranger.  We should do that more often!  8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:29 am 

improvstone wrote:
Maybe we should talk cricket?  eh Al  :lol:

Hey in all seriousness great chatting to you this morning.... don;t be a stranger.  We should do that more often!  8)

heh yeah man that was cool - much better than msgs eh?

if anyone has that MSN thing guys, get in touch!

cricket....sheesh well now thats another thing. been a really hard lesson in how to play the flippin thing it has. aussies shown how good they really consistently are. am glad in a way, as it will make us go back and sort it out properly (if they do, wheich they tend not to).

glad we got a win in the end, more for prides sake than anything. was well pleased for Ed Joyce. He's a good player and was good to see him get his chance...and he took it well - good on him.

that ponting though - what a player. hes like that steve waugh - you just cant get him out!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:43 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
heh yeah man that was cool - much better than msgs eh?

if anyone has that MSN thing guys, get in touch!

cricket....sheesh well now thats another thing. been a really hard lesson in how to play the flippin thing it has. aussies shown how good they really consistently are. am glad in a way, as it will make us go back and sort it out properly (if they do, wheich they tend not to).

glad we got a win in the end, more for prides sake than anything. was well pleased for Ed Joyce. He's a good player and was good to see him get his chance...and he took it well - good on him.

that ponting though - what a player. hes like that steve waugh - you just cant get him out!

Al

Cricket would be more interesting to Americans if all the players carried bats all the time.

Then Americans could adopt their own version of the sport and call it something like "Whack-It."   :D

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:17 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Does anyone on the other side of the pond know of a TV program called The IT Crowd?

Yeah, I think I ended up watching most of the series.  It had a guy in who was in Nathan Barley.  It was reasonably funny but not amazing.

Surprised it made it over to the States.  Not wanting to offend the Americans on the forum and I know it is a cliche but quite often they don't "get" English comedy.

I remember watching Blackadder (Two) in the States with some American friends.  I was rolling about while they were perplexed.

Oh well,  US comedy tends to be much more consistent than UK comedy, which can be very hit and miss.

The replies on Bekham and "Soccer" were as expected,  I looked at LA Galaxy and the attendances at their home games was fairly small for what I would imagine is one of the big teams of US football.

The Rugby was a good result, England are notoriously good at cocking things up but a good six nations should bode well for the World Cup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:58 am 

I have 5 of The IT Crowd episodes, but I understand there is a DVD with all 6. If anyone runs across one, please drop me a line! I pretty much herniated myself watching them.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:57 am 

Arena FOOTBALL
starts in two weeks...........

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 am 

Aneoth wrote:Arena FOOTBALL
starts in two weeks...........

they should change american football into bloodbowl...now THAT would be cool to watch!

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:03 am 

Thanks, improvstone--went blank and couldn't remember while posting.

So, let's see--six points for a goal, nine for a goal from outside the 50-meter line, one for a behind --- what is a "rush behind"?  A kick from "outside 50" which hits one of the two taller posts, maybe?  
And is this just a pre-season experiment or permanent changes?

Now you may know the numbers without the names--but as someone who tries to follow the game from the U.S., I can't find rosters with names and guernsey numbers even on the "official" AFL website!  Suggestions/ideas on where to find such info?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:49 am 

oh hey i just noticed something...

seems i am now a "grandstanding collector" :)

changed from that "long-winded collector" or whatever it was that it used to say...when did that change?

has anyone else got to that yet? or am i the only saddo here with it :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Next
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 11112, 3 ... 109110111