Dragon Magazines
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:06 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'm puzzled by this reaction; I've done the same thing. I've saved not only inserts but favorite advertisements from yesteryear. I'm not seeing what the big deal is. :?

Its the collecting bug.  Once you start collecting in one area you start seeing everything else in terms of its collectability even if it is utter rubbish.  

There are some days when I feel like getting rid of everything and stopping this obsession.  Then on other days I think to myself ... I need a larger room ...  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:26 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'm puzzled by this reaction; I've done the same thing. I've saved not only inserts but favorite advertisements from yesteryear. I'm not seeing what the big deal is. :?

I knew a dealer during the pre-Ebay days (he sold on the old games marketplace and Aol forums) who got so frustrated trying to sell the hundreds of useless Dragon mags he had piled up, he started using them as packing material    8O  Tore the pages out, wadded them up, presto, colorful packaging for his items.  Worked out for him; got rid of the Dragon mags, and didn't have to buy any styrofoam peanuts for awhile!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:31 pm 

Aneoth wrote: 8O   OMG!!!!!!!!!!   8O

Aneoth, you should see some of the things I do . . . I've just given my daughter (not quite 3 years old) a stack of extra maps (I've got dozens and dozens of extra poster maps from box sets, accessories, etc.).  I let her spread them out and play Dora the Explorer (which means she walks on them).

I give her markers to color in the maps .  We took a stack of old Dragons and colored in the black in white pictures.  We took other Dragons and cut out the pictures and glued them onto a piece of poster board.

(Hey, I'm Mr. Mom Mon-Fri in the afternoons - there's lots of time that needs to be occupied!)  8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:04 am 

Badmike wrote:I knew a dealer during the pre-Ebay days (he sold on the old games marketplace and Aol forums) who got so frustrated trying to sell the hundreds of useless Dragon mags he had piled up, he started using them as packing material

I think I might "borrow" that idea, actually. I mean, seriously, what the hell, right? I need these damn things out of the house! :)

Sidebar: I hope I'm not alone in feeling that the Dragons between roughly #130 and #250 or so were ... hmmm, what's the term I'm looking for? Oh, right:

Sucky.

I'm a pretty big fan of D&D history, but I actually get bored reading most of these issues.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:43 am 

OK Folks, I can understand recent issues and even more those that first started coming out after the introduction of 3ed. But how many of you trash the early issues?  8O

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:47 am 

If its between #60 and #260 and I already have a double then I would probably cut it up and trash the rest.  I normally bring them in to my local used bookstore but he had enough left over from the last time I was dumped a load.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:03 am 

Mars wrote:Maybe I should start a poll on this.  I've installed them both once or twice and  poked around them for about 10 minutes then never used them again.  Do people really use these?

Same here.  Everything about those CD's is a pain in the butt.  :|

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:27 am 

I copied them to my hard drive and use them a fair bit, actually.  I prefer hard copy, but I don't have all the early issues.  Plus the search function is very handy, as is the ability to copy/paste.  On top of that, it allows me to store my actual magazines out of the way, which keeps the gf happy :D.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:00 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Same here.  Everything about those CD's is a pain in the butt.  :|

The actual interface is horrible but the files themselves as pdfs can just be copied onto your hard drive without installing the software and you can use Adobe Acrobat reader to view them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:00 pm 

Aneoth wrote:But how many of you trash the early issues?  8O

For now, anything under about #125 is safe with me. I might eventually lower that to #100, since I feel the overall quality of the magazine really began a sharp decline around that time. I'll also save individual issues with really nice inserts (the Deck of Many Things comes to mind).

Anything over #125 might as well be kindling (although the values pick up again with the early 3e issues).

Previous