Dragon Magazines
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:44 am 

I'm going to be selling some issues of Dragon magazine starting from 1993 up to 2000 (years that is). Are they more collectible with the various inserts in them? Like the conspectus' or the Trivia contest that I never touched? Fast play rules, that sort of thing?

Thanks for the help.

"Good, remember that when next we meet. For I have marked you loudmouth and my axe knows the name of your spirit" ~ Druss the Legend

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:13 am 

Frankly most are good for nothing!
Many issues you will have trouble giving them away, though the inserts can make them slightly more valuable. (148 with the deck of many things will always sell (£3-£8 approx)
As far as the conspectus' go - they are probably more valuable than the magazine they are contained in  -so possibly list them as conspectus first, magazine second!

(BTW if anyone wants any Dragons from about 130 - 230 then you can have them for the price of shipping - I wasn't joking about giving tham away :D )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:41 am 

gyg wrote:(BTW if anyone wants any Dragons from about 130 - 230 then you can have them for the price of shipping - I wasn't joking about giving tham away :D )

As mentioned briefly on another thread, I just threw away dozens of issues between roughly #130 and #250. I did save a couple that had really neat inserts, but that's about it. Seriously, you can't give the damn things away, and I need the space back.

Druss, I don't mean to be negative ... but, well, "good luck," I guess. Maybe you'll make some sales; stranger things have happened on eBay.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:57 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:As mentioned briefly on another thread, I just threw away dozens of issues between roughly #130 and #250. I did save a couple that had really neat inserts, but that's about it. Seriously, you can't give the damn things away, and I need the space back.

I'm seriously thinking of doing the same (or rather recycling them of course - throwing them in the trash would be unthinkable).

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:27 am 

I just went through a bunch of Dragon magazines too and cut out various ads and things and tossed out the rest.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:53 pm 

The Dragon Magazine Archive sure saved me alot of space. Incidentally, you can image the discs to a dvd and the program will still install and run.
The same with the Forgotten Realms Interactive and the Core Rules 2.0.
With the CR2.0 you can put all the CR2.0 files in a folder then copy all the Expansion files to a mock folder. Insert the CR2.0 folder into the list of CR2.0 Expansion files, then burn everything WITHIN the mock folder to a cd.  Install CR2.0, then install the expansion and the program will run from the cd you created.

Of course, most of you owners have already done that right?  :wink:

I'm not saying that I have, but theoretically......

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:06 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Of course, most of you owners have already done that right?

Are you implying that the people who own this actually use it?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:20 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys. I pretty much thought they were useless I was just wondering about the inserts. Thanks again.

"Good, remember that when next we meet. For I have marked you loudmouth and my axe knows the name of your spirit" ~ Druss the Legend

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:04 pm 

Mars wrote:I just went through a bunch of Dragon magazines too and cut out various ads and things and tossed out the rest.

erf... :?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:28 pm 

Mars wrote:
Are you implying that the people who own this actually use it?

Are you implying you don't?  :o

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:58 pm 

Maybe I should start a poll on this.  I've installed them both once or twice and  poked around them for about 10 minutes then never used them again.  Do people really use these?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:07 pm 

Mars wrote:Maybe I should start a poll on this.  I've installed them both once or twice and  poked around them for about 10 minutes then never used them again.  Do people really use these?

Same here.  Call me old fashioned but I still like reading large articles in print rather than on a screen.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:11 pm 

I can't stand reading large amounts of text on a screen either.  I print out my own work to edit it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:05 pm 

gyg wrote:Frankly most are good for nothing!
Many issues you will have trouble giving them away, though the inserts can make them slightly more valuable. (148 with the deck of many things will always sell (£3-£8 approx)

Great. That explains why only two of about twenty I had on Ebay sold. I bought about 100 of them, thinking I'd keep the ones I wanted and sell the rest. Big mistake...

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:38 pm 

improvstone wrote:Same here.  Call me old fashioned but I still like reading large articles in print rather than on a screen.

Ditto. I use the CDs for rapid browsing of the earlier issues, though.

Besides, the scans of the ads ain't good enough for JG research and the cover art looks so much better in hard copy... ;)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:09 pm 

There are a number of ads for nonTSR D&D stuff that I haven't seen and aren't listed on Afterglow1 or 2 or any of the other such lists.

At some point I'm going to have to dig out my boxes of these and go through them one at a time.  I haven't looked at the Dragon archive in a long time but I didn't think they scanned in the ad pages.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:16 pm 

Mars wrote:I just went through a bunch of Dragon magazines too and cut out various ads and things and tossed out the rest.

8O   OMG!!!!!!!!!!   8O

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:30 pm 

Aneoth wrote: 8O   OMG!!!!!!!!!!   8O

Its only a dragon magazine ... its not like he was chopping up some strategic previews  8O

Next