No 52%       52%  [ 33 ]
Maybe 23%       23%  [ 15 ]
What's GenCon anyway 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 64

Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:56 am 

Also, any hints on nice auction items this year Frank?

I was going to ask the same question myself...

Brette:)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:31 pm 

AdderMcOne wrote:Unfortunately not able to. Would be a major coup if I ever make it to one outside of Australia.

Brendon

What you have to do is stop buy so much and save the money for the plane flight  :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:33 pm 

'way too early for items for an August sale.

Most of the preregistrations don't hit until early August. :/ (procrastinators...)

F

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:19 pm 

Of course I live in Indy and will be at GenCon.  However, I plan on organizing a Acaeum Dinner around 5 pm on friday.  Will keep you informed.  I hope everyone would be able to make it.

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:05 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I hope it is not Troll and Toad guy who gets it, just a slight conflict of interest there

Politely disagree. Ken and I are collectors, and yet we ran it successfully for quite a few years.

In the 1990s there was a serious problem. The guy who ran both the GenCon and Origins auctions also had a CCG business. Unfortunately when the CCG craze started to die down he starting pushing his inventory real hard (personally auctioning off his stuff and giving it all glorious evaluations), to the detriment of items submitted by other sellers. Ken and I took over both auctions shortly thereafter. We were both collectors, and he was part owner of a game store. Was there 'conflict of interest'? (I don't think so.) Arguably, all the experienced and informed parties who may be both capable of and interested in running the auction will have such a 'conflict'. Can you have a non-gamer running a game auction? (Again I don't think so.)

If Jon of T&T gets GenCon, I don't think we'll see those '90s problems resuface; but there may be other problems. It does bother me that Jon's eBay auctions have used imagery belonging to Acaeum and then claimed trademark on same. While I hope that problem has been solved, I'm sure it has left a bad taste with some of you collectors, and that may (rightly or not) in turn reflect on the GenCon Auction if Jon runs it.

imho the biggest problems with the GenCon Auction center around its potential instability. Whenever someone of major importance leaves, the whole thing can fall apart, unless other key individuals (such as computer services) stay on. This MUST be fixed; GenCon should have software and duty station descriptions (and personnel notes) so this institution can make a seamless transition whenever these sort of changes occur. Nobody should be indispensable there... but that is not currently the case, and it is unlikely to change for the better if Jon (partnered with one of the 'indispensibles') is in charge.

F

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:22 pm 

Okay, I am 98% sure the wife will let me attend this years GenCon. We were in the house hunting mode last year so any extra monetary output was strickly a no-no (especially games/D&D stuff).  I wonder what my 2nd print alpha-error DMG would fetch in the auction? Hmm..... oh honey!!!

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:13 pm 

my wife and i will be there (and a 5:00 acaeum dinner meet sounds great as long as the collectables auction is starting late enough).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:18 pm 

stratochamp wrote:my wife and i will be there (and a 5:00 acaeum dinner meet sounds great as long as the collectables auction is starting late enough).

Have you ever missed one?

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:24 pm 

was there from 1978-2002 and 2004-current. my sister and brother-in-law (who started going at gencon 2 by the way although he now only goes about every 4th year) were going to take me in 1977 (i was 11) but my mom said i couldn`t go to the playboy club (where it was being held). bunnies and minis and dice oh my!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:49 am 

stratochamp wrote:was there from 1978-2002 and 2004-current. my sister and brother-in-law (who started going at gencon 2 by the way although he now only goes about every 4th year) were going to take me in 1977 (i was 11) but my mom said i couldn`t go to the playboy club (where it was being held). bunnies and minis and dice oh my!

Now there is a cool venue for a Gencon... Lateral thinking, thats what we need to increase Gencon numbers.  Call up Hugh we need a joint Playboy Bunnie / Roleplaying convention.  SoCal would have been rocking if I was running it.  :wink:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:14 am 

I have been thinking that the size of Gencon was making me not wanting to attend.

However, the idea of an Acaeum get together might get me to change my mind and to brave the masses.

Hmmmm ..... now how would I manage a kitchen pass for this .....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:05 pm 

I'll be there, as usual.  And I'm sure I'll be sitting next to Blackmoor until 4am Friday & Saturday for the auctions too.
I wish there was a way to keep the auctions from going later & later each year, but I don't know how it could be done without just moving a lot of stuff to the store.
Frank, any ideas for how to keep the auction from going past 1am?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:06 pm 

Gus Landt wrote:I'll be there, as usual.  And I'm sure I'll be sitting next to Blackmoor until 4am Friday & Saturday for the auctions too.
I wish there was a way to keep the auctions from going later & later each year, but I don't know how it could be done without just moving a lot of stuff to the store.
Frank, any ideas for how to keep the auction from going past 1am?

yes we will be there causing Havoc once again :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:08 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:yes we will be there causing Havoc once again :D

Try to keep the roar to a minimum this year.  You know how Frank hates telling the bidders in the audience to calm down. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:54 pm 

Gus Landt wrote:Frank, any ideas for how to keep the auction from going past 1am?

We've moved the start time for collectibles earlier almost every year, since they have expanded greatly. They start at 6 pm every night (Thurs Fri Sat) and go until done. We put most of the RPG semicollectibles (monochromes, non-TSR, etc) on Thursday. We moved a lot of the rare non-RPG (wargames, Games Workshop, etc) to their specialty slots to ease the burden on the evenings. The ultra-rares (Creme de la creme) still finish the Fri & Sat nights.

We got out okay (1 am ish) Thurs & Fri, but Sat got bogged down in a horde of miniatures that Tim brought (to his first GenCon in 20 years). Minis always go slowly.

I seriously think we'll get out before 1 am every night this year, in part by moving a lot of the semicollectibles to their slots during the day. But I also seriously doubt that it'll ever finish any earlier than 1.

F

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:27 pm 

Registration is tomorrow, for out of towners like me register early and get a good hotel.  Hotel registration start on Monday.

Good luck all

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:56 pm 

GOOD LORD!!!

That was 30 minutes of the most nerve-wracking crap I have ever had to deal with.  OK, maybe it wasnt that bad....but still....I cannot believe just how quickly rooms are eaten up for all of the hotels.  I would love to see the total number of hits the Gen Con and hotel reservation websites had in the last hour.  It took almost half an hour for me to complete my reservation.  8O

Anyway, I got my room with double beds so now I wont have to worry about Badmike cuddling up to me in the middle of the night.  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:08 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:GOOD LORD!!!

That was 30 minutes of the most nerve-wracking crap I have ever had to deal with.  OK, maybe it wasnt that bad....but still....I cannot believe just how quickly rooms are eaten up for all of the hotels.  I would love to see the total number of hits the Gen Con and hotel reservation websites had in the last hour.  It took almost half an hour for me to complete my reservation.  8O

Anyway, I got my room with double beds so now I wont have to worry about Badmike cuddling up to me in the middle of the night.  :D

Or maybe you STILL have to worry about that....... 8O  8O  8O  8O

I tried to make a reservation and it was ridiculous, although I still did get in but it took about an hour.  All that was left were King rooms at the Westin and connecting hotels.  I got an email this morning saying due to a snafu they had rented rooms last night be mistake, well they cancelled all those reservation this morning, I wonder how many people went to bed thinking they had a room and woke up today and didn't check their emails to find their reservations had been cancelled.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext