Strategic PREview. Who has any? Yes PREview. :)
Poll: Which Strategic Previews do you own?

I do not currently own any of these. 72%       72%  [ 33 ]
I currently have a #3 4%       4%  [ 2 ]
I currently have a #4 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
I currently have a #5 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
I currently have a #6 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
I currently have 2 different ones. Please elaborate which they are below 7%       7%  [ 3 ]
I currently have 3 different ones. Please elaborate which they are below 4%       4%  [ 2 ]
I currently have all 4 different ones. 13%       13%  [ 6 ]
I currently own multiple copies of one them. Please elaborate below. 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
I currently own multiple copies of more than one of them. Please elaborate below. 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 46

Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:34 pm 

Hey all, I was just digging my stuff looking for my copy of Boot Hill when I ran into my 2 copies of Strategic Preview and it reminded me of something that I have been looking to find out for awhile now.  I am curious to see who out there has copies of this thing.  

The reason that I ask this is because it seems to me that it may be one of the rarest things out there that is not unique.  In the last 3 years or so on Ebay, I have only seen 3 copies of these up for sale, 2 of which I was able to pick up(#'s 3 & 5) and the third one I think Paul won a couple years ago, just edging out Scott(IIRC it was also a #5).  I also remember reading somewhere on the site here that the burntwire brothers sold off at least a couple of these privately some time back.  So, my question is this, who out there has one or more copies of these things and if you have one or more which ones do you have?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:39 pm 

That was an awesome win, Brian.  Still green with envy over that one.   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:44 pm 

Alright, who answered all 4 without specifying?  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:01 pm 

Probably the guy who just popped in after a long absence.   :D

BTW, welcome back!

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:16 pm 

Thanks, Stephen. Just passing by, alas, as I shouldn't have been here this week.

Not me, but I know who it is (if he's voted). Unless there are two complete sets (quite likely, phps ;)).

Picked up a copy of #3 as an unlisted bonus in a 3rd print woodgrain box "as originally purchased" (interesting in the context of the stated printing dates!) and have another (#4?) kicking around in poor condition from a mixed lot purchased off-eBay.
Brian pipped me on one of the others, IIRC. #5 was the one that was bid-out rather than BIN'd, no?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:53 pm 

We have two issues - #3, and #5. I've personally only seen these two issues, and I wasn't sure if the other two issues #4 and #6 truly existed. If someone has either of these could you post a scan or photo.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Faro wrote:

Picked up a copy of #3 as an unlisted bonus in a 3rd print woodgrain box "as originally purchased"

David, how's it going mate? It's been quite sometime. Sources said you were still around and operating under a new handle.

My question is was the #3 folded up in the digest size woody box? If so was it done by the TSR staff, or more likely this seller just folding it himself and putting it in the box?

It would seem "as originally purchased" implies TSR inserted it?

and have another (#4?) kicking around in poor condition from a mixed lot purchased off-eBay.

8O  like I said, I've never seen a 4 or 6. Could you post a pic?

Thanks

Edit- I wrongly entered my vote. As stated we have 3 and 5, and I only voted having #3. Sorry Clarkie…   :oops:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:00 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Hey all, I was just digging my stuff looking for my copy of Boot Hill when I ran into my 2 copies of Strategic Preview and it reminded me of something that I have been looking to find out for awhile now.  I am curious to see who out there has copies of this thing.

I believe you earn one copy for every 2000 Acaeum posts.  Isn't that how the incentive program works?   :D

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:16 pm 

*g* Yep; apologies, Brian; making quite a mess of your poll here, too! :)

invincibleoverlord wrote:David, how's it going mate? It's been quite sometime. Sources said you were still around and operating under a new handle.

My question is was the #3 folded up in the digest size woody box? If so was it done by the TSR staff, or more likely this seller just folding it himself and putting it in the box?

It would seem "as originally purchased" implies TSR inserted it?

Heh, heh... Had heard you were lurking somewhat, too... :)
Apologies for not giving you a run for your money on Mr. Pumpkinhead: Frank gave me the impression that there was already a $1k proxy on the table so I didn't bother going over the top of that just in case anything else on my list turned up.

The seller never did "recall" whether purchased directly from TSR or otherwise, but all they had for sale was the 3rd print plus 1st print supplements (possibly 2nd for GH?) with the implication that they were originally purchased together. No other mail order catalogs or suchlike... Could believe that a reseller might still have had a woodgrain for sale, but TSR would surely have been clear of woodgrain stock by then? Filed under "interesting find; but of no definite proof".

Given the supplements, however, it should come as no surprise that that's not #3, but #5. :)

(A very snug fit indeed in most 3rd print boxes, with a single fold).

I'll have a dig around for the other copy - could be #14 given my memory on the one with the 3rd print woodie. It wasn't in the stack of items still being flattened... there was some nice stuff in that bundle from 1975-1977, but tempered by the likes of MA and various other goodies being bent into right-angles. :?
Have found the other email, though, and there is at least one "complete set".

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:05 pm 

Alright people aren;tosting what they have, so this isn;t helping me much.  Anyone can just put, "I have all four".  I am looking for confirmation of who actually has these things.  If you do not feel comfortable posting it in public, please PM me that way I can get a clear picture of rare these things are.  If I can't get a clear confirmation one way or another on them on then I will have disqualify any of them that are unaccounted for in the poll.  :)  Please understand that I am not trying to be intrusive here, but without actual confirmation on who really has what, my poll is effectively useless.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:47 pm 

I had #5 at one time, but it disappeared along with several other things a long, long time ago.

Now I have none.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:53 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Please understand that I am not trying to be intrusive here, but without actual confirmation on who really has what, my poll is effectively useless.

*chuckles*. No poll option on these boards to log who voted for what. ;)

I can guess pretty well where the second complete set came from judging by who's been signed on recently, but I'm far from sure 'bout the third.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:44 am 

As stated on our page, I think there were only four issues released -- #3 through #6.  We only have scans of #3 and #5, though, so if anyone has #4 or #6, I'll echo the request above for scans of the front page!

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:27 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:As stated on our page, I think there were only four issues released -- #3 through #6.  We only have scans of #3 and #5, though, so if anyone has #4 or #6, I'll echo the request above for scans of the front page!

Foul

Four issues released and they started with #3 :?:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:49 pm 

IttyBitty wrote:
Four issues released and they started with #3 :?:

I didn't like to ask about that staring at number 3 thing - I thought I was being thick :(

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:49 pm 

Foul, I'll see what I can do re scans.

(I have all 4. I concur that there were only those 4, starting with #3.)

F

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:53 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Foul, I'll see what I can do re scans.

F

Awesome!! Welcome back Frank. :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:10 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Foul, I'll see what I can do re scans.

F

So there must be a story behind start with #3?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:12 pm 

ExTSR wrote:(I have all 4. I concur that there were only those 4, starting with #3.)

F

Cool - but why did they start at 3?

(And it's great to see you post again :D )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Next