Mentzer "Red Box" Basic Set 18%       18%  [ 13 ]
AD&D - 2nd Edition 4%       4%  [ 3 ]
D&D - Rules Cyclopedia or later Basic Set 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
D&D - 3rd Edition 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 73

Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 pm 

Come to think of it, I am sorry to say the first set I actually owned, so to speak, was a photocopy of the 4th print.  I paid Kerry Lloyd (later of Thieves World fame) $3 for it in about 1976 or so.  I picked up my OCE and 2nd print woodgrain later.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:11 pm 

improvstone wrote:Shouldn't that have been ...

'Set? What set? We didn't have sets in our day'  :wink:

That would be the two people who recently voted for "Chainmail"?

(Of course, could just as easily have been 3e Chainmail, given the wording of the poll... ;))

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:18 pm 

faro wrote:That would be the two people who recently voted for "Chainmail"?

(Of course, could just as easily have been 3e Chainmail, given the wording of the poll... ;))

Those same people could also be 2 of the 6 people that have voted that they have all 4 Strategic Previews in my poll.  Funny that 6 people have voted for all 4 yet only 2 of those six have confimred as much. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:14 am 

The vast majority (70%) of those polled to date started with some form of the Basic set.  I don't know why that surprises me, but I thought 1E would be higher.

YIM  

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:36 am 

I was hoping that Rob K. would come on here and vote for Chainmail (or maybe he needs an earlier option?)

The poll software did limit the number of options I could include. I had to take out AD&D - post UA & then forgot to edit out the pre-UA.

3E Chainmail didn't even cross my mind!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:34 pm 

Moldvay Pink

My parents got it for me for Christmas when I was about 12.  I didn't have the slightest idea what D&D was and had never even heard the term before, at that point, I think.

Soaked that up like a sponge.  Much easier to digest than the big and separate AD&D books.

For a long time my group used to alternate between Basic/Expert and Advanced campaigns because of the scarcity of modules.  Eventually, when more were available, we went to just 1E Adv and later 2E Adv, which I was happy about, because once I got used to Adv, I thought it was vastly superior to B/E.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:01 pm 

The Basic and Expert Box sets, with the Erol Otus artwork.  (I'm guessing that's what's meant by the "Pink Box" basic set-- That was my vote.)

I had been playing a kind of ad hoc hybrid mix of basic and 1st edition advanced with friends at school, but these were the first real rulebooks that I owned and played consistently.  Good times!!

Previous