Mentzer "Red Box" Basic Set 18%       18%  [ 13 ]
AD&D - 2nd Edition 4%       4%  [ 3 ]
D&D - Rules Cyclopedia or later Basic Set 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
D&D - 3rd Edition 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 73

Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:45 am 

Hmmm, kinda tricky to answer. Technically, I started with the original PH and the Holmes Basic Set. My older cousin introduced me to the game when I was in about 4th grade I think. My first character was a 1/2 Elf Fighter, Thief, Magic User. I still have the sheet somewhere.

However, I originally bought myself the Holmes set, and at some point soon thereafter the Greyhawk supplement. Eventually I got a PH and MM. The DMG had to wait, since my mom kinda freaked with the "demon" (i.e. Efreeti) on the cover... It goes without saying that getting Eldritch Wizardry was right out....  8O

I remember playing in S1 and S3. The former never really went anywhere - never did find my way to the nasty "instant death" stuff. S3 was a lot more fun - had one character get vapourised by veggie pygmies with a blaster!

Later I got into Metagaming's "The Fantasy Trip", which to this day I still consider the best game system out there, though it could use some tweaking to improve it.

Still like the older D&D alot, though.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:07 am 

Wood grain here, at The Little Soldier Shop in Wheaton, Maryland.  It seems like only a few years ago.  I can't believe I'm pushing 50!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:56 pm 

You shoulda listed "photocopy of an early set" as an option... ;>

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:10 pm 

ExTSR wrote:You shoulda listed "photocopy of an early set" as an option... ;>

Shouldn't that have been ...

'Set? What set? We didn't have sets in our day'  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 pm 

Come to think of it, I am sorry to say the first set I actually owned, so to speak, was a photocopy of the 4th print.  I paid Kerry Lloyd (later of Thieves World fame) $3 for it in about 1976 or so.  I picked up my OCE and 2nd print woodgrain later.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:11 pm 

improvstone wrote:Shouldn't that have been ...

'Set? What set? We didn't have sets in our day'  :wink:

That would be the two people who recently voted for "Chainmail"?

(Of course, could just as easily have been 3e Chainmail, given the wording of the poll... ;))

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:18 pm 

faro wrote:That would be the two people who recently voted for "Chainmail"?

(Of course, could just as easily have been 3e Chainmail, given the wording of the poll... ;))

Those same people could also be 2 of the 6 people that have voted that they have all 4 Strategic Previews in my poll.  Funny that 6 people have voted for all 4 yet only 2 of those six have confimred as much. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:14 am 

The vast majority (70%) of those polled to date started with some form of the Basic set.  I don't know why that surprises me, but I thought 1E would be higher.

YIM  

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:36 am 

I was hoping that Rob K. would come on here and vote for Chainmail (or maybe he needs an earlier option?)

The poll software did limit the number of options I could include. I had to take out AD&D - post UA & then forgot to edit out the pre-UA.

3E Chainmail didn't even cross my mind!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:34 pm 

Moldvay Pink

My parents got it for me for Christmas when I was about 12.  I didn't have the slightest idea what D&D was and had never even heard the term before, at that point, I think.

Soaked that up like a sponge.  Much easier to digest than the big and separate AD&D books.

For a long time my group used to alternate between Basic/Expert and Advanced campaigns because of the scarcity of modules.  Eventually, when more were available, we went to just 1E Adv and later 2E Adv, which I was happy about, because once I got used to Adv, I thought it was vastly superior to B/E.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:01 pm 

The Basic and Expert Box sets, with the Erol Otus artwork.  (I'm guessing that's what's meant by the "Pink Box" basic set-- That was my vote.)

I had been playing a kind of ad hoc hybrid mix of basic and 1st edition advanced with friends at school, but these were the first real rulebooks that I owned and played consistently.  Good times!!

Previous