D&D - Rules Cyclopedia or later Basic Set 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
D&D - 3rd Edition 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 73

Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:46 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:
The first module we bought other than B2 and X1 that came with the boxed sets was S1 Tomb of Horrors. It was a great starter adventure for AD&D!  :twisted:

Get everyone up to 3rd level or so, then massacre them!!!!  :twisted: Well, back then there wasn't a lot of modules out, you had to use whatever.  We also ran S1 pretty early on but used the pre-gens.  I remember everyone except for the two lowest level characters dying horribly...
     It's funny to look back how how many marketing "mistakes" were made in the early days compared to how games are released nowdays.  First, the three AD&D books weren't even released at the same time; then, there were no low level AD&D adventures to introduce your characters to the game until T1 in 1979.  In 1978 all we had were the G series and S1!  Although most groups I know of, us included, used B1 and just converted it to AD&D.  I'm sure I made up a bunch of stuff to get the group high enough level to jump from B1 and T1 to the G-series, but it was pretty bad stuff.  I know the Tower of Zenopus got a workout, and I think I just jumped the characters to level 7 so they could start on G1 after T1.  Nowadays, the level of support is unbelieveable.  You could start 100 1st level parties, and run each one through a completely different adventure and campaign world....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:44 pm 

The pink Moldvay set.  A friend introduced me to the game sometime in 1981 and I got this set for Christmas that year.  Good thing too, since a couple years later my Dad would start lecturing to me about how people who played that game would murder others or commit suicide (all a bunch of BS).   :roll:
Anyway by that time at least I didn't need their money/help to buy more D&D stuff.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:34 pm 

Moldvay.

You know what I like about the Acaeum?  It's the only gaming site on the Web where I get to be one of the youngin's.

WWW ICQ  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:40 pm 

I started with the Mentzer red set.

The first adventure was N1, and it was all just so cool. It was exciting, literate, action filled.....to this day the summer where I learned to play D&D is my favourite childhood memory.

Bree-Yark!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:44 pm 

bombadil wrote:Funny no one's entered woodgrain yet.

(count 1)

viewtopic.php?p=8105&highlight=#8105

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:50 pm 

bombadil wrote:Funny no one's entered woodgrain yet.

Bombadil,

By the way, we started with the White Box (mounted knight), but Acaeum describes all those as "woodgrain". I do not remember if the box was woodgrain, but it definitely was an all white cover with the mounted knight. Just curious if you know if there was a white box as I described.

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:58 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:
Bombadil,

By the way, we started with the White Box (mounted knight), but Acaeum describes all those as "woodgrain". I do not remember if the box was woodgrain, but it definitely was an all white cover with the mounted knight. Just curious if you know if there was a white box as I described.

Heh, I am glad you actually borught that up.  I have never heard of such a thing and apparently neither has Foul. :)   Was the set yours that you guys used or was it someone else's?  Also, do you happen to know where it came from whoever's it was?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:22 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:By the way, we started with the White Box (mounted knight), but Acaeum describes all those as "woodgrain". I do not remember if the box was woodgrain, but it definitely was an all white cover with the mounted knight. Just curious if you know if there was a white box as I described.

There's at least one possible prototype/test run/??? box out there back in OCE territory, but that's a new one on me 'twixt 3rd & 4th... :)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:56 pm 

I started with Mentzer "Red Box" Basic Set, one of my brothers got it for me on Christmas. I'd borrowed modules from him, but I don't recall which one I ran first, I think it may have been B5. I ran the Bargle dungeon first though and some other homemade ones prior.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:08 pm 

I started 9th grade in the Fall Semester of 1978 and learned about D&D from a guy who'd transferred from another school district.  He told us about it while we were out practicing football, of all things.  He ran us through a month-long campaign and we were hooked.

A couple of months later, we began playing on our own using the MM, PHB, Greyhawk ... and Metamorphosis Alpha  :!:

My crowd was big into science fiction ... we didn't care for fantasy at all ... so after we learned to play D&D we scrambled to find a way to make D&D fit into a sci-fi setting ... MA was perfect for that.

I bought the DMG in 1979 and was really bummed that they'd removed "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" from the top center of the cover.  I don't know why this bothered me, but I still don't like that yellow stripe in the upper corner.  I've always wondered why TSR did this.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:16 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:
Bombadil,

Paul, this is a total stretch, but if you weren't the owner, how about trying to track down the person who owned that box to see if you can get a photo or confirm the description.  If it was yours, have you lost/sold/given it away, or do you by chance have it packed away somewhere?  Would be a fascinating addition to the current SOK.

If none of the above, then let's work from memory.  Do you recall if it was simply a white box with the original woodgrain sticker on the front?  I guess there might be a possibility - however remote - that someone had removed the sticker from a worn-out woodgrain and glued it onto a new white box (perhaps 4th print?).

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:29 pm 

bombadil wrote:I guess there might be a possibility - however remote - that someone had removed the sticker from a worn-out woodgrain and glued it onto a new white box (perhaps 4th print?).

That would be fun to steam off and I'm not trying! Pity that John no longer has his spare copy.... ;)

Applying any "left-over" labels to "blank" white boxes sounds less likely since there weren't even enough of those to go around the woodgrain boxes. *jk*

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:31 pm 

No votes yet for 3e or the missing pre-pub ms option... ;)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:36 pm 

I bought my white box set in fall of 1978. We had been using the Holmes set starting around Summer 78 and were looking for more stuff. The only thing our local hobby store had was the geomorphs - who needs them, the M&T assortments - I bought the 4-6 so I could make an adventure greater than 3rd level.

I decided to buy the white box because it was the only thing left on the shelf. Of course, a week later I went to Wintercon 1978 and there were was all this stuff inlcuding...a Monster Manual and Players Handbook... 8O

I probably had about $75 saved up from my paper route and I spent every last dime in the first couple of hours at the TSR booth. I had to bum lunch and dinner money from my friends and then raided my secret money stash that night to spend on Saturday and Sunday.

To make this long story short...finally...I never even read the white box set until many years later. To this day, those books are minty mint.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Heh, I am glad you actually borught that up.  I have never heard of such a thing and apparently neither has Foul. :)   Was the set yours that you guys used or was it someone else's?  Also, do you happen to know where it came from whoever's it was?

bombadil wrote:Paul, this is a total stretch, but if you weren't the owner, how about trying to track down the person who owned that box to see if you can get a photo or confirm the description. If it was yours, have you lost/sold/given it away, or do you by chance have it packed away somewhere? Would be a fascinating addition to the current SOK.

If none of the above, then let's work from memory. Do you recall if it was simply a white box with the original woodgrain sticker on the front? I guess there might be a possibility - however remote - that someone had removed the sticker from a worn-out woodgrain and glued it onto a new white box (perhaps 4th print?).

Hey Guys,

I am strictly going from memory, such as it is :? , but I could swear that it did not look the one in this auction:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

It looked more white and I thought covered the top cover, but I can not remember if the sides or bottom were white or plain. The box was highly guarded & protected from myself & my friend, as we were intensely curious about the books inside, drawings, and the rules. It belonged to the friend of my friend's older brother, who was about 6' tall at the time (7th grade), so we were rather . . . subjugated :(

I will make some calls tonight and see if anyone has a better recollection than I do :wink:

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:19 pm 

Holmes set. As I was fairly young, it is very vague what else was available at the time. Only that there were 'older' sets out there. Our group as a whole ignored those items. I guess those would have been OCE's or something like that....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:22 pm 

Holmes set with B2. Had a blast and never looked back!!  :D

Eulaliaaa!!!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:07 pm 

The remnants of a Holmes blue box.  One of my good friends introduced me to D&D as a week-long youth retreat.  It was a blast!  We played into the wee hours of the morning for the whole week.  I ran four characters, a mage, fighter, thief, and cleric through B2.

We still have, and use, the original module.  Even have the characters but they have been in retirement for a few years.

PreviousNext