Within 300 Miles of Columbus, OH
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:14 pm 

I think it must have been the Guard Tower - it sounds familar. Like I said, it has been more than a few years since I was there. It was close to the river opposite Upper Arlington area...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:32 am 

I started with the Moldvay/Cook basic and expert set JUST before the Mentzer basic came out. I learned enough to start a small (me and two others) group in sixth grade in 1983. Maybe the Mentzer set was already out but hadn't made it to rural Kentucky yet. I got the 1st DMG and S4 for Christmas that year. At that time, I was the first person to ever hear of D&D at my school (or, for that matter, in my county). Hell, we thought "Advanced" must be what came after "Expert". The Mentzer sets were very helpfull in getting new players as I could lend someone the Basic player's book and they could learn a lot without intense tutoring. Thanks to them, by 8th grade our group was sanctioned by the school and had grown 10-12 members (as well as becoming one of the "cooler" clubs at school). So, while not "starting" with Mentzer, most of the guys I've gamed with since '83 did. In fact, one of my first two players is starting a BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia game for his kids and me while I run 3.5 for them

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:44 am 

spades1013 wrote:Rules Cyclopedia

I love that book! - it could well be the most complete ' game in a book' that exists. You could buy that and genuinely never buy another product (wow - how surreal would that be , NOT buying D&D stuff! 8O )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Previous