Within 300 Miles of Columbus, OH
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:56 pm 

I stumbled across this thread on a site known as "Giants in the Playground", and their discussion about 1E D&D.

I'm guessing these players must be college students (perhaps younger).

Here's one of the quotes:
"I know of only one person who has 1st ed stuff, and he's probably the only person several hundred miles from columbus OH to have it. The books are not very common."

The site is

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30788

My point here is not to make fun of them.  Far from it.  I simply think it was interesting and enlightening to look at our hobby from the perspective of gamers who are not serious collectors.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:01 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
My point here is not to make fun of them.  Far from it.  I simply think it was interesting and enlightening to look at our hobby from the perspective of gamers who are not serious collectors.

Keith

To be honest, looking at it from a non-serious collectors stand point, I think that if they are having trouble finding 1st edition D&D material either real printed material or even fan based stuff , they are not looking very hard for it.  Aside from Ebay there is a ton of fan based sites that cover 1st edition D&D and that continue to support and play the game.  IMO they are really not that hard to find, especially in these days of the internet. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:05 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:I stumbled across this thread on a site known as "Giants in the Playground", and their discussion about 1E D&D.

These are the same guys that produce the incredibly funny comic "Order of the Stick".  (It's funny no matter which edition you play, incidentally.)

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:06 pm 

I agree that they are probably not looking too hard, but there also seemed (to me) to be a lack of understanding of what to look for.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:09 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:These are the same guys that produce the incredibly funny comic "Order of the Stick".  (It's funny no matter which edition you play, incidentally.)

Well if thats the case the it must be being done as a satirical piece. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:53 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Well if thats the case the it must be being done as a satirical piece. :)

Totally.  It is wickedly incisive to all editions - 3e is spared not a whit.

A personal favourite of mine is the sequence where the heroes run across an area in the dungeon housing all the critters that haven't been converted over to 3e.  Issue #55, iirc :D...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:17 pm 

Brilliant.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:30 pm 

This is great!  I was laughing my ass off and I was only on #5  :lol:

The Bard singing to inspire competence......OMG my sides hurt!

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:38 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:These are the same guys that produce the incredibly funny comic "Order of the Stick".  (It's funny no matter which edition you play, incidentally.)

OOTS is great. Well, usually — the latest storyline is developing at the pace of a lethargic green slime.

Anyway, I've used OOTS avatars here before, along with OOTS quotes in my signature line, and whatever else I could think of. It really is a "gamer's" comic.

And how about this for a healthy set of forums? The latest strip that was posted (#406) is currently on page 32 of its discussion thread. 8O Now, admittedly, most OOTS forums posts are along the lines of "Funny strip. I laughed." ... but still, that's a pretty healthy community.

Page 32 of a looooooong thread

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:08 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
To be honest, looking at it from a non-serious collectors stand point, I think that if they are having trouble finding 1st edition D&D material either real printed material or even fan based stuff , they are not looking very hard for it.  Aside from Ebay there is a ton of fan based sites that cover 1st edition D&D and that continue to support and play the game.  IMO they are really not that hard to find, especially in these days of the internet. :)

Reading throught the posts, their problem seems to be that they do not have a clear idea of what is "1st edition."  They do not seem to even have  a clear concept of OD&D, AD&D, D&D, 2nd Edition AD&D and 3rd Edition D&D.

One guy talks about the "1st edition" books...when what he clearly means is OD&D.  The other guys answer as if he were talking about AD&D...and then confuse it with D&D.

Clearly, they are also not Ebay rats.

They appear to be a species I have never actually encountered in real life...players of Mentzer Set D&D.  I have never met a gamer (face-to-face) who played the Mentzer sets...

I think you had to be about 5 years or so younger than me to start with Mentzer Basic D&D and progress through the Expert and so on....

I find the discussion refreshing, since these are guys who seem to actually play the game...somehow overcoming their lack of expertise in how tall or how green various printings of the Players Handbook might be.    :D

Order of the Stick is very funny...and dead on.  I love the scene where the characters sense that they are being upgraded to 3.5 edition...and the halfling thief gets boned.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:27 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
They appear to be a species I have never actually encountered in real life...players of Mentzer Set D&D.  I have never met a gamer (face-to-face) who played the Mentzer sets...

I think you had to be about 5 years or so younger than me to start with Mentzer Basic D&D and progress through the Expert and so on....

Mark

If you ever go to GenCon, then we should meet up, and you will finally have meet someone who started with the Mentzer Basic D&D set. :wink: (Age: 29) Made it as far as Expert set before switching over to 2nd ed AD&D..yadda, yadda.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:45 pm 

That would be a nice example of the age differences, Shane.

If you were not a collector you would logically be entirely ignorant of AD&D, and the tectonic (techtonic?) shifts that created it.

(Which is it...tectonic or techtonic?)

It is 2nd Edition AD&D that stinketh in mine nostrils.  

I played 2nd Edition, but I never warmed to the doofy art and the plethora of splatbooks (new vocab word this week!).

(I have mentioned this before, but anyone who has not read it, try this:

Leaf through the 2nd Edition Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide.  They will be those books on your shelf that are missing the spines. Beginning with the cover of the PH, there seems to be a silly hat festival going on.  Everyone seems to be competing to see who can wear the most ridiculous headgear.  That is what the dwarves on page 19 of the PH are contemplating.    Page 16 of the PH shows the beginning of a silly hat festival, with the festival action really heating up on page 69 and going full tilt on page 114...during the silly hat modeling event.

The winners of the silly hat festival (as I recall) were an anti-paladin whose evil helmet is actually wearing its own evil helmet....and a dwarf wearing a stool upside down on his head.  Try it...you'll see.)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:48 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:<clip>...and the plethora of splatbooks (new vocab word this week!)....<clip>

Yeah, you're welcome. :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:09 pm 

that's funny, i know someone IN columbus ohio who has quite an extensive collection...  :wink:

Keith the Thief wrote:I stumbled across this thread on a site known as "Giants in the Playground", and their discussion about 1E D&D.

I'm guessing these players must be college students (perhaps younger).

Here's one of the quotes:
"I know of only one person who has 1st ed stuff, and he's probably the only person several hundred miles from columbus OH to have it. The books are not very common."

The site is

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30788

Keith

-dave

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:12 am 

Order of the Stick is brilliant! I'm only up to 21 and I'm hooked - classic stuff!
2 of my favourite bits - our heroes yelling 'expeditious retreat! as they flee and the ghost of one of the character's fathers haranguing him for not staying in touch ('are there no clerics where you live,it wouldn't kill you to speak with dead once in a while') - Priceless :lol:  :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:44 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Leaf through the 2nd Edition Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide.  They will be those books on your shelf that are missing the spines.

:lol:
Oh god, how true.  Thankyou for starting my day with a chuckle!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:48 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:

I found this unique as well.  

Back in the day, I bought all the Mentzer sets but we never used them.  

In fact, I think I was the only one of my group who owned those rule books.  My reason for buying them was rooted in nostalgia: "Well, if these books are the descendents of OD&D, regardless of quality, then I should at least have them on my bookcase."

We did use several of the modules, but like you, I have never met players who used the Mentzer sets.

I'd be curious to see the statistics (which are probably unavailable) of the Mentzer sets sales compared to AD&D rulebook sales.   Perhaps the figures would be surprising.

Keith

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:34 pm 

My gf started with the Mentzer Basic set, and a couple of gamers in my group bought it after we had been playing for a bit (because the Moldvay one had gone out of print by then).  We switched over to AD&D shortly thereafter, though, so I don't really know if they would have continued buying stuff from that line.  When I worked in the game department of a local bookstore, though, I do recall that the D&D game was still selling strong (of course, the line had moved into the bewildering series of seemingly neverending different versions of the Basic game by that point, so it's largely academic as far as Mentzer is concerned).  It did seem to be a pretty good introductory set, though, for those who were completely new to gaming in its entirety.  Not so hot on ease of reference, but great as a primer.

Next