Inflated ? Auctions
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:52 am 

Hello All,

Check out what this X7 (War Rafts of Kron) went for:

** expired eBay auction **

I won a few items of the seller's at the start of his auction for reasonable prices, but now I have been seeing low FB bidders come in and run up the prices of several items that I had hoped to win. I honestly thought this item would go for $17 to $18 and I was willing to pay that, but NOT $26.75, which is not double or anything extreme.

What is a "reasonable" price for an X7 in this condition? The only sources I use to help me determine a reasonable price are Noble Knight Games and Troll & Toad, which I know a lot of you have problems with, but at least they have listings & descriptions for most, if not all, D&D items and I just use their prices as gauge and then adjust for availability & what I have seen items sell for in the past. I have been watching and trying to capture several items for a while now. Still can't seem to get a GAZ-9 in VF+ condition with both booklets & map.  :cry:

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:41 am 

PM-Knight wrote:Hello All,

Check out what this X7 (War Rafts of Kron) went for:

** expired eBay auction **

I won a few items of the seller's at the start of his auction for reasonable prices, but now I have been seeing low FB bidders come in and run up the prices of several items that I had hoped to win. I honestly thought this item would go for $17 to $18 and I was willing to pay that, but NOT $26.75, which is not double or anything extreme.

What is a "reasonable" price for an X7 in this condition? The only sources I use to help me determine a reasonable price are Noble Knight Games and Troll & Toad, which I know a lot of you have problems with, but at least they have listings & descriptions for most, if not all, D&D items and I just use their prices as gauge and then adjust for availability & what I have seen items sell for in the past. I have been watching and trying to capture several items for a while now. Still can't seem to get a GAZ-9 in VF+ condition with both booklets & map.  :cry:

T&T is at the highest end of the spectrum. NK is a little high but not outrageous.  I would think you could get most modules like that in decent condition for $20 or so if you are willing to wait.  Patience is the key...those who want everything NOW will always end up paying a premium.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:57 am 

Badmike wrote:
T&T is at the highest end of the spectrum. NK is a little high but not outrageous.  I would think you could get most modules like that in decent condition for $20 or so if you are willing to wait.  Patience is the key...those who want everything NOW will always end up paying a premium.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike, I have made some good & reasonable purchases from and have been very happy with the items. It is difficult to be PATIENT 8O , as I do not always have the time to search for these items and when I do happen to come across them in VF+ condition, I guess that I get anxious and want to win . . . just part of my competitive nature, which has cost me in some auctions.

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:22 pm 

Patience is the key...those who want everything NOW will always end up paying a premium.

That's one way of thinking about it. Certainly in the nominal price paid, the premium is evident.

Conversely, those who buy it quickly don't incur the costs of 1) time spent endlessly searching through 1000's of eBay pages trying to get a better deal; 2) driving around looking for it at a flea store; 3) not having the satisfaction of having the module in your hands.

Incidentally, you also have some prices spike like the X7 you describe due to buyers looking to combine on shipping from the same seller, or local buyers who don't have to pay s/h.