Llaurenela
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 31, 2, 3
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:28 pm 

Kinda makes it hard for the hubby to be included if he's worm food.
Hey, don't shoot the messenger!*

*=Copyright 2007, STD ltd.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:40 pm 

Well,

I hope that all of you out in Internetland take note:  The primary duty of your executor is to keep track of your friends and enemies on D&D related message boards.  That'd be my primary concern if I was terminally ill . . .

Call me a cynic, but I remain unconvinced.

At least I'm still #1 on the enemies list . . .

The Egg

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:16 pm 

In the "good guys" section, grodog is mentioned. Not Grodog, but grodog. Only someone familiar with dog would know the beginning letter is not capitalized, as are all the names listed except one.
Sorry, but this one reeks of deception. When was LlauraLiar booted off Dragonsfoot?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:35 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Not Grodog, but grodog. Only someone familiar with dog would know the beginning letter is not capitalized, as are all the names listed except one.

Hey I didn't even know that.  Why not capitalize gro?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:01 pm 

FoulFoot,

Perhaps you could email this Susie person back and tell her you'd like to make a donation in the deceased's name to the American Cancer Society.

That way, you'd (presumably) get her last name and could verify this information.

If she did indeed die, perhaps we could all chip in a dollar or two to make this donation.

If it's a hoax ... well, then we'd know ...

Keith

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:07 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:FoulFoot,

Perhaps you could email this Susie person back and tell her you'd like to make a donation in the deceased's name to the American Cancer Society.

That way, you'd (presumably) get her last name and could verify this information.

If she did indeed die, perhaps we could all chip in a dollar or two to make this donation.

If it's a hoax ... well, then we'd know ...

Keith

That really wont necessarily prove anything unfortunately.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:07 pm 

Mars wrote:Hey I didn't even know that.  Why not capitalize gro?

It's just not how grodog's spelled, when spelled properly, Mars :D  I can't say that I recall the original reasons, from back in the dim recesses of my brain-addled Penn State days, but it's always been lower case.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:17 pm 

I'm one of those that never had a problem with L.  If she truly is gone, then the world is much poorer for it.  If she isn't gone, then she seriously needs to have a check up from the neck up.

In general, message boards should not be used for witch hunts, and the moderators who patrol them should refrain from prosecuting said witch hunts.  They should be above such things.  I find that particular abuse of message boards and/or moderator power distasteful, and sufficient reason for me not to visit those boards in the future.

FIN

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:42 pm 

Great, now I get to sound like a grumpy old man.  Kids these days.  :roll:

Considering the possibility a person may have passed on, this thread is making the Acaeum look like a bunch of jackasses, frankly.  Or more accurately like a media circus.  Please try to have a little respect for the allegedly deceased, or at least err on the side of caution.  

There are times for finger-pointing, wild speculation and conspiracy theories, and times keep your opinions private.  PMs are great for this sort of thing.  I barely knew this individual, so please don't think this post is personally motivated.

Thanks for listening, anyway.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:52 pm 

It's not the possibility that she is gone, it's the circumstances, and the message itself. this person e-mailed Foul, yet didn't bother to join the forum and post the message, which contained information directed at several individuals. In order to e-mail Foul, she had to scan the forum and find his address. The part about "to all receiving" means she probably blind CCed a shitload of people, including the DF mods/owners, with the same message. How could she possibly know that Foul would post the message? If she had 1/2 a brain, and was on the level, she would have known that joining the forum and posting the message would insure its delivery.
I've spent considerable time analyzing written text and the individuals behind it, and this reeks like a stale dog turd. There is every possibility I am wrong, but the chances are as remote as the Colts winning the Superbowl.
Anyone have any LlauraLiar posting text perchance?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:01 pm 

I was e-mailed the message presumably because I had e-mailed Llaurenela about a week ago, asking for her real name for the site credits.  Susie's e-mail clearly states who she's sending it to, i.e. people who have e-mailed Llaurenela since she disappeared from the Internet a few months ago.

The e-mail does not say anything about her husband's status.  It doesn't mention him at all.

The person who mentioned that moderators can see poster's IP addresses is correct -- I was thinking of server logs.  In any case, from what I read on DF, none of the moderators actually came out and said that the IP addresses matched.  There was simply an accusation that the users were the same, which was then picked up by some forum members and expounded upon.  It was the *admin* who posted that the IPs were not the same, and that he did not believe the user(s) were identical.

Yes, IP addresses can be changed, simply by using another provider or by going through a proxy.  Most people don't bother, however, or they forget and use the same IP with both accounts at least one time.  I'd also imagine the admin at DF is smart enough to see if IP addresses are close, i.e., from the same address block / same IP provider.

I'm not any more convinced than I was last night that this is a fake.  I'm inclined to believe it's real.  The arguments and evidence presented so far have been circumstantial at best, and ludicrous at worst.  Especially since maybe three or so people in this discussion actually had any interaction with Llaurenela, do you think we could give her the benefit of the doubt?

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:59 am 

I'll give her the benefit of doubt, but the message is still pretty vexing. And I'm not even named in it. I find the "enemies" entry pretty childish. If they are truly enemies, my guess is they neither want nor need her forgiveness. I have no real involvement in this at all, I am just a bit peeved at people's names being bandied about as "bad guys" in the name of someone who ostensibly has passed away. Anyone reading that message will subconsciously red-flag the "enemies" names. It is human nature. And that is unfair.
As an aside, I think you do a great job of -not- moderating the forum, Foul. It's all too easy for a mod to go on a power trip, and it can be the death of a forum when they do so. I'm not licking brown onion, just stating what I think most people here feel.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:08 am 

Maraudar wrote:Yeah but cmon Sol its does get a little more than crazy there at times. Having to wade through 8 - 10 OT topics just to find one that actually deals with the game can be annoying.

You rang?

:wink:

Egg of Coot wrote:At least I'm still #1 on the enemies list . . .

It's a long list.

I am not allowed to stroke the Elf chick for any reason.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:49 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:When was LlauraLiar booted off Dragonsfoot?

She wasn't.  She was warned several times, by moderators and by rank-and-file members, that posting numerous "stub" posts and/or threads was considered rude; most of those on the "forgiven" list are those who so warned her.  A suspicious but evidently legitimate confluence of IP addresses led many of the moderators to believe she was one of several user accounts held by the same person... I followed the trail back to the proxy server causing the problem, and I don't hold that opinion for that reason.  But she was never "booted" from DF, indeed several people (including myself) tried to convince her to stay, with modified posting habits, but she wouldn't hear of it.  She left in a blaze of drama.

I'm not at all sure I believe that she has truly passed, though if it is true I am still sorry to hear it.  I find it amazing that she would give thought to thanks and forgiveness to a bunch of basically faceless forum users in her last days... were I facing my end in an immediate fashion, I'd pass out the thanks and forgiveness myself, not put it in a will or directive to my executor.  Were I in such condition that I couldn't do it myself, I doubt it would even enter my mind to have someone else do it (there being more important things to worry about, like my family and friends in the real world).  But just because I wouldn't do it that way, doesn't mean someone else would not.

So I won't pass judgement on the truth or fiction of it either way.  If she has truly passed on, I extend my condolences to those who knew her and cared for her.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 am 

Both Llaurenela and Cimmerthian the Great posted at the Knights and Knaves alehouse. The alehouse mods talked to their ISP and confirmed that both where posting from the same house.

So yeah,  it's a hoax.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:59 am 

mistere29 wrote:Both Llaurenela and Cimmerthian the Great posted at the Knights and Knaves alehouse. The alehouse mods talked to their ISP and confirmed that both where posting from the same house.

So yeah,  it's a hoax.

Which compounded by the fact that the individuals "alter ego" was actually based upon a real person life makes it even more disgusting. :evil:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:24 pm 

mistere29 wrote:Both Llaurenela and Cimmerthian the Great posted at the Knights and Knaves alehouse. The alehouse mods talked to their ISP and confirmed that both where posting from the same house.

So yeah,  it's a hoax.

Interesting . . . where is this information posted at Knights & Knaves?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:55 am 

So yeah,  it's a hoax.

And the world turns another strange turn.

mistere29 is apparently a troll.  There are no such posts on Alehouse.  The admin there has said no such thing regarding ISPs.

Since this has devolved into complete idiocy at this point, I'm locking this thread.  As far as I'm concerned, Llaurenela has indeed passed, and her presence and contributions will be missed.  Enough said.

Foul

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 31, 2, 3