Basic Set dice colors
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:26 pm 

I love the early dice sets. For the most part the sets I've seen are blue and occasionally yellow. Does anyone have any idea how many colors were actually produced for the basic/expert sets? I'm refering to the fairly fragile probably called "low impact" as well dice sets. Also if anyone has any extras blue or otherwise I'd be interested in buying some.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:36 pm 

I'm aware of the following colors:

red
orange
yellow
green
light blue
navy blue

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:00 am 

Pink  - D20
Orange - D6
Yellow - D4
Green - D8
Blue - D12
White - D20

There has been some discussion earlier about what colors were printed and which dice were included in each set.

The answer is that there might be some uniformity by time period, but essentially TSR was buying and shipping dice by the truckload and shipments varied.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:09 am 

I'm interested in the single color sets moreso than the multi sets. Although did TSR produce multi sets of the exact same material as the early sets?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:11 am 

The single color sets I am familiar with were from slightly later than 1978.  They were all very light blue...and smaller than the original sets.

They were of similar...yet perhaps slightly higher quality...material as the multi-color sets.

Mark   8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:15 am 

red
orange
yellow
green
light blue
navy blue

Now were all of these available with basic or expert sets? I've seen light blue and yellow. The acaeum has an image of red with the dragon dice from 1981 which appears to be the same material.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:26 am 

Cattledog wrote:
Now were all of these available with basic or expert sets? I've seen light blue and yellow. The acaeum has an image of red with the dragon dice from 1981 which appears to be the same material.

i had a red set the came with a basic set i purchased in 1980/81

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

-Thenraine the silver magus

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:59 am 

Cattledog wrote:

When I bought my Metzer basic and expert sets back in the 80's, both came with a light blue d20, d12, d10, d8, d6, d4 and in one instance an extra red d10 and in the other an extra dark blue d10.  

None of the bagged sets I've come across recently have had more than one d10 and the illustration on the back of the Basic and Expert sets only show 6 dice.  This would imply my memory is faulty but I still have my original dice and I have no idea where the extra two would have come from.

In more recent times I recieved a bagged set of green dice (with a green crayon?!?!) in a Moldvay basic set, a bagged mixed set of light blue, yellow and orange dice in a Metzer basic set, a loose set of red dice in another Metzer basic set.  All of these boxed sets had been opened previously so I have no idea if the dice were original to the set.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:12 am 

viewtopic.php?t=5094 has a picture of the typical multi colored dice from the early sets.
I have a 1st print basic box set though that has a red d20, dice are not in a bag. Moldvay basic sets have light blue dice sets (none of mine are in the bag though). My 1st print expert set (was bought SWed) has a light brown dice set with white crayon (in bag of course).
From the dice in later red basic sets/blue expert sets (the dice I have in a tray, but can only go by memory also as I have others in there besides) were a black or white d20, white or pink d12, red or white d10, yellow or blue d8, green d6, black or white d4 (you can kind of tell the dice were made by the same company with the size of the numbers and edges of the faces)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:14 am 

Yep, I love these dice too though I can't resist opening them, coloring them in and using them 8O I've seen various color combos sealed in the bags, even ones where the D6 is a small with with black pips rather than the one with molded numerals.

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:20 am 

So brown and possibly white were also colors. How frequently do the dragon dice (1981) come up for sale? Presumably most colors were sold through that venue.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:42 pm 

In the Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert sets, I remember a set of olive green dice and a set of light brown dice. Both were fairly 'ugly' colors, though I remember them fondly.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:23 pm 

Anyone have any idea where I could procure these various colored dice? Any resellers or net merchants that might have some stored away?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:13 pm 

Two places to look, Cattledog:

1)  Inside of old boxed sets...a lot of times the old dice are included.

2)  Second hand stores like St. Vincent DePaul.  Often, junk and secondhand stores will have a bin for old dice and odd bits that come through their stores.  Look in those bins of old dice.  Often, the old low impact dice turn up there.

Mark   8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:59 pm 

NetRodent wrote:
When I bought my Metzer basic and expert sets back in the 80's, both came with a light blue d20, d12, d10, d8, d6, d4 and in one instance an extra red d10 and in the other an extra dark blue d10.  

None of the bagged sets I've come across recently have had more than one d10 and the illustration on the back of the Basic and Expert sets only show 6 dice.  This would imply my memory is faulty but I still have my original dice and I have no idea where the extra two would have come from.

This is the configuration I remember as well for the Mentzer sets.  Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:54 am 

deimos3428 wrote:This is the configuration I remember as well for the Mentzer sets.  Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

I've only lived in Canada for the last seven years.  Prior to that I lived in the US and bought the sets I mentioned in Williamsport (at Walden Books in the Lycoming Valley Mall specifically).

--H.L. Mencken

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:06 pm 

Well I won these for a reasonable price... Are those brown dice the color being referred to earlier in the thread?

bag o' dice

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:14 pm 

Cattledog wrote:Well I won these for a reasonable price... Are those brown dice the color being referred to earlier in the thread?

bag o' dice

I'll dig my out in a bit, but they look about right (the dice got smaller from those that came with the early Basic sets)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Next