Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:43 am 

WOW 8O  Why can't I get people like this to bid on my stuff?  :wink:

Devon

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:07 pm 

I saw those too!

(I believe that's Newbay)

I had to check on the Acaeum about the Chainmail to see if I wasn't missing something!!!   :roll:

More power to the sellers!!!

:D

Dere Fritoad, Two badd yoo copped outt so sooon lazt nighgt. Mised som grooovy trps. Hoap th rring thinng wurcs out awrighgt. Peece, Timm  PS Hear ar som outt of sihgt stash I'm laying onn yoo guyz. Must sine off as rush iss cocomcoming ohgodohgod$#%*@!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:33 am 

sorry wrong forum

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:50 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44114

This guy stole my picture and description.  It's as if he's relisting my item.  he must be hoping to get the same $300+ bid with it.  What would you do in this situation?  It kinda makes me mad.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:57 am 

I don't think there is much you can do.  Once an auction goes on e-bay it is pretty much public domain.  Unless you have copyrighted pictures or text.

I guess you could always e-mail them and tell them to stop.   :roll:

In the future, I'd try making your descriptions more unique to the item so that it is difficult or impossible to re-use the information for a similar item.

That does suck though!   :x

Dere Fritoad, Two badd yoo copped outt so sooon lazt nighgt. Mised som grooovy trps. Hoap th rring thinng wurcs out awrighgt. Peece, Timm  PS Hear ar som outt of sihgt stash I'm laying onn yoo guyz. Must sine off as rush iss cocomcoming ohgodohgod$#%*@!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:14 am 

I seem to remember reading somewhere on ebay that plagiarism by using someone else's description or picture without permission is forbidden but now that it's happened to me I can't find it!  Grrrr!  

I feel like writing an email to the guy and saying, "Hey nice couch!"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:25 am 

I think there may have been a rule like that a while back.  E-bay changed all their rules recently to a format that makes determining the rules much more subjective.  You used to be able to quote a particular rule and send your complaint to ebay, but now the rules are more or less whatever ebay wants them to be at any particular moment.

I feel that their new policy of keeping people who make reports out of the loop discourages people from making reports, because they never know if the report does any good.  Why bother if it doesn't make any difference?

In my opinion, ebay really has dropped the ball on the whole community watch system.  Just trying to figure out how to make a report is very frustrating and then it is just sent off into the ether with no way of knowing what happened.   :x

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:00 pm 

Uhhhhh, you got $307 for a $75 boxed set. I wouldn't complain TOO loudly. Just be glad you landed a fish. Look at it this way, the idiot who bid $307 on your set won't be buying the other one.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:01 pm 

Used Chainmail for $129.50?

Woah.

I got a mint, shrinkwrapped copy for $14. Regards.

--

Michael Falconer - http://www.dwarvenmilitia.com/falconer/greyhawk/

"Because by fate even the gods are cast down, weep ye all with me."

WWW ICQ  

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:18 pm 

The eBay policy against copied item descriptions is currently hidden under Help:Topics:Safe Trading:Protection Programs:Protecting Intellectual Property:Item Description and Picture Theft.  I'll copy and paste it here to save you the hassle.

8O

Item Description and Picture Theft

What it is and how to report it

eBay members are not allowed to use another eBay user's pictures or descriptions in their listings or About Me page without the owner's permission. Listings that violate eBay's Picture and Description Theft policy may be removed early. Multiple violations of this policy can result in suspension.

The following examples are not allowed on eBay.

A seller doesn't know the best way to describe an item. The seller copies a substantial amount of another's description and pastes it into a listing.

A seller takes someone else's picture and includes it in a listing since it looks very similar to the item the seller is offering.

A seller likes the way a competitor's About Me page looks. The seller copies the look and feel and a substantial amount of the text and creates an About Me page.

Report another member who is using your text or images without your permission

Related Help topics

Protection Programs: Overview

Prohibited, Questionable and Infringing Items

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:56 pm 

ds- Thanks for the info!  I knew that was there somewhere.

eyeamgod- You seem a little jealous about the $307 white box.  Just because somebody way overpays for an item doesn't give the rest of the world permission to steal my words and pictures in hopes of a repeat fluke bid.  

The thing that really annoyed me was him stealing the line, "This is a must have for any D&D collector and it kills me to be selling it.  I hope it goes to a good home!."  That's just plain plagiarism.  I also wonder what his stuff actually looks like, if he even has the stuff at all.  I'm betting somebody's going to be very disappointed.  Lastly I'm a little afraid the guy who overpaid for my set will see that and feel foolish, perhaps thinking I lied in my description when I sadi the line quoted above and as a result I could possibly get an undeserved negative feedback.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:11 pm 

Not jealous at all. It's only money, and I have plenty of that. I'm glad you got a chunk of change for it. Report him if it bothers you that much. My experience with eBay, though, has taught me that it is useless to "bother" them with things like this. They are too busy calculating profits to chase down plagiarizers.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:26 pm 

god-  I don't plan on reporting him though I did grab the text from ds's post and emailed it to him.  I also asked him to edit his picture and text.   :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:10 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2545

Hey nice couch dude!  :roll:

Another plagiarizer!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:19 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 44112&rd=1

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:15 am 

You gotta be shitting me...........might have to part with the shrinked WG4.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:55 am 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 44112&rd=1

Yikes!  That's a 5th print too!

I guess Andyaction really knows where the action is at!   8O

Next