Binding Issues
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:33 am 

Grogdog wrote this in the UA thread...

"I have loose sheets of parchment that have better binding that UA and MM2, so it doesn't surprise me that the later UA printings improved in that regard"

So, out of curiousity, what books do we own that are *falling apart*, more so than normal wear-and-tear?

The binding of my 1st printing of Oriental Adventures (1985) is in quite a sad state, while the book itself only shows normal shelf wear...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:14 am 

Feanor23x wrote:Grogdog wrote this in the UA thread...

"I have loose sheets of parchment that have better binding that UA and MM2, so it doesn't surprise me that the later UA printings improved in that regard"

So, out of curiousity, what books do we own that are *falling apart*, more so than normal wear-and-tear?

The binding of my 1st printing of Oriental Adventures (1985) is in quite a sad state, while the book itself only shows normal shelf wear...

The first printing of Oriental Adventures was falling out of its binding almost before it was sold or even slightly opened.  We used to joke about holding the book away from your face as you opened it to keep the pages from exploding like a grenade in your face.

Also, the 2nd edition books in general were a horrible binding job.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:54 am 

MShipley88 wrote:
The first printing of Oriental Adventures was falling out of its binding almost before it was sold or even slightly opened.  We used to joke about holding the book away from your face as you opened it to keep the pages from exploding like a grenade in your face.

Also, the 2nd edition books in general were a horrible binding job.

Mark   8)

The 2nd edition PHBR series (Complete Book of Fighters, Book of Thieves, Book of Priests, etc. )..Some of the most horrific binding ever...open these the wrong way and the entire insides of the book fall out....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:15 pm 

My OA is in fine shape, likely because we almost never used it.  My original copies of UA and MM2 both suffer from broken binding, but I think that's about it among my books, offhand.

Now, if we start to jump into the 3.x era, I've had all sorts of binding/print quality issues with books from various publishers.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:50 am 

Oriental Adventures was almost as big of a can of worms as Unearthed Arcana.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:39 pm 

All my hardbacks (including UA) are in great shape except for my PHB (where the binding separated from the spine) and my OA (where the pages all fell out when the binding dry-rotted).