Cougarrinard is now using Ebay ID of littleprincessfreya
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 85 of 111123 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:40 pm 

Then it might be good idea to write down who gives Dave feedback for those auctions.

It would identify the other scammers, right?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:06 pm 

I have gone ahead and reported a couple of these "sales" to Ebay as feedback abuse.

Does anyone know how to just send an Email to someone at Ebay without using the "report this auction" tag...that will only really accept listing numbers?

It is high time that ordinary, honest Ebay customers began asking Ebay what they plan to do about Dave Whitfield.

1)  Frequently uses deceptive listings, including overstating the quality of the items he sells.

2)  Claims that critical components that are missing from an item are the fault of the customer for not asking...as if he'd answer, and as if completeness of a product were not the seller's duty to report.

3)  Charging excessive postage...and refusing to quote postage in advance specifically for this purpose.

4)  Offering a fraudulent refund policy that does not include his excessive shipping charges.

5)  Opening false NPB claims in order to have negative feedback removed.

6)  Offering fraudulent auctions for the purpose of boosting his feedback.

7)  Posting abusive and fraudulent negative feedback in retaliation for any negative feedback he may receive.

8)  Re-listing items he has supposedly sold and shipped.

9)  Falsely claiming that he has not received a shipment and then offering the items for sale, even though he supposedly never received them.

Surely, Dave has left a suitably wide trail of nasty emails, sordid deals, fraudulent auctions and the like for Ebay to be highly self-interested in having him gone.

I just spent 10 minutes or so trying to loop through Ebay's reporting system to see if I could send an email to a real person.

I think it's time all of us started clearly voicing to Ebay the large number of problems with this seller.

Mark

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:07 pm 

How important is feedback to you? - Discuss.

Do you have a cut-off percentage or just go with a gut feeling, or something else entirely?
(For example, If I see a feedback below 99.5% I would probably try and see ther reason why, and sometimes there are good reasons)

(And I was really pissed when my feedback dropped to 99.9. In hindsight it was just one of those things that was out of my hands, but it really did niggle me for a long time, do much so I nearly jacked in buying/selling completely). But having realised that my feedback is never going to go back up to 100, and is unlikely to drop much below 99.9 I don't sweat it any more.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:10 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Do you think Coug just learned this trick or have we just not noticed it?

Oh, no, he's done it before ... this is at least the third go-around where he's been spotted by an Acaeum member. But I'll admit to never even having heard of this scheme before he was first spotted doing it a couple of years ago. Then, once I saw it in action, I just had to shake my head ... yet another Cougie scheme that takes advantage of eBay's loopholes.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:13 pm 

Hands up all those who could be bothered buying feedback for a penny a time?

I've got better things to do with my time...............but then again we are talking about DM Dave :D

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:22 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Then it might be good idea to write down who gives Dave feedback for those auctions.

It would identify the other scammers, right?

Not a really good use of anyone's time, though, especially in the context of what we talk about on this site. The Penny Auction Idiots are not people who are involved in any form of D&D collecting ... they are more of a network of like-minded scammers that Diamond Dave can go to for a feedback boost. You and I (and every other normal person here) will never have to deal with these people.

That's not to say that reporting them can't be fun. But it can be frustrating to see no real action taken on eBay's part. And I suspect that these sorts of "feedback farms" are full of resourceful people who find it easy to open new accounts if they find their original account locked.

Not to get too far off-topic, but DM Dave has honestly had one good use: he is living proof that eBay's rules and regulations are riddled with loopholes. I'm now convinced (for all the good that does) that the entire rulebook needs to be re-written top-to-bottom.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:25 pm 

There must be a way to contact Ebay and have them deal with a renegade seller.

Somewhere, somehow it must be possible for the goodguys to point out an entire string of evil behavior by the badguys.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:34 pm 

For starters, why doesn't everyone here revisit those fake listings and report them as

1) Violations of policy
2) Feedback related
3) Offer to purchase feedback.

By the way, the second auction, called "secret ebook" is interesting, in its own way.  :wink:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:37 pm 

gyg wrote:How important is feedback to you? - Discuss.

Do you have a cut-off percentage or just go with a gut feeling, or something else entirely?
(For example, If I see a feedback below 99.5% I would probably try and see ther reason why, and sometimes there are good reasons)

(And I was really pissed when my feedback dropped to 99.9. In hindsight it was just one of those things that was out of my hands, but it really did niggle me for a long time, do much so I nearly jacked in buying/selling completely). But having realised that my feedback is never going to go back up to 100, and is unlikely to drop much below 99.9 I don't sweat it any more.

To be honest, I do have a feedback cut-off point.  However, it's not a set value.  Rather, it varies based on how much feedback the seller has total; I know it's odd, but I'm actually more hesitant to bid from a seller with thousands of feedback and a 99.2% rating than I am one with less than 100 feedback and a 98.7% rating.  The latter could just be a single bad transaction, the previous is a notable pattern -- and, given that many people don't seem to leave negative feedback, I can safely assume the 99.2 is likely lower.  Yeah, it's still less than 1 or 2 in a hundred in that case, but I don't want to be that 1 or 2. ;)

If there's a power seller icon, I'm even more wary -- simply because I know that if it comes down to a dispute between myself and the seller, I'm not likely to win regardless of how in the right I may be.

I know, not entirely logical, but that's me.  Now on the other hand, if I've had good dealings with someone in the past, I'm more likely to ignore their feedback rating and just hope the pattern holds. :)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:38 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:

That's not to say that reporting them can't be fun. But it can be frustrating to see no real action taken on eBay's part. And I suspect that these sorts of "feedback farms" are full of resourceful people who find it easy to open new accounts if they find their original account locked.

Dave Whitfield would consider it a disastrous loss.  His whole online personna is based upon his powerseller status and how he dominates the games sales market.

It would also be disastrous for Dave because once he is banned, it would be possible for Acaeum members to detect his new incarnations and report them one by one.

It would affect his PayPal status and his ability to withdraw funds.

Mostly, it would be a near-brainbusting blow to his ego.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 pm 

gyg wrote:Hands up all those who could be bothered buying feedback for a penny a time?

I've got better things to do with my time...............but then again we are talking about DM Dave :D

I belive that most pople that buy feedback are doing it for 1 thing.. to lull the purchaser into a false sence of security so that they can be ripped off either through fake products or no products (Gee my 105 inch plasma TV I bought for $1000 didn't arrive and the person has vanished with my money and a couple of other peoples $$ what a surprise). You have to remember that this is some peoples business, ripping people off.. I don't know how many emails I have gotten telling me that $100mil us is just waiting for me to claim because blah blah blah...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:43 pm 

I also look at the feedback when I consider buying. And like go26r I am more hesitant on the higher ones in the mid to low 90's. However I read everything negative I can find as often I am dealing with camera items and such in these cases it is often just someone who didnt know what they were buying and got ticked at the seller.

Now as far as Daves  mental feedback issues. Its obvious his pattern of this is when he has gotten himself into a corner and is about to lose his POWER SELLER<said in an anouncers voice of a superhero cartoon> status. Then he feels the need to pad the feedback to protect himself.

Oh its so funny it hurts the gut to think about this. Someone who would spend what three dollars for every 10 feedback scores in listing fees alone. so for 30 dollars you get 100 feedback. 300 for 1k feedback.
Hos plain stupid would one have to be. Oh wait sorry we are talking about Dave. We all know rationality is not his strong point, then again nrither is

Spelling (I have my own issues with this)
Punctuation
Common Scense
Honesty
Integrity
Professional conduct in business
Oh forget its easier to just say

Dave your a MORON!! One who should stop wasting the oxygen on the rest of us. Do us a favor and hold your breath forever.

I will lay money on the fact he thinks he could hold his breath until he dies.  :lol:

Bruce Thibodeau

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 pm 

Hey, Ogreden!  Found out any information about his "house(s)?" :?:   You had a friend who had been there, right?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:22 pm 

Ogreden wrote:Dave your a MORON!! One who should stop wasting the oxygen on the rest of us. Do us a favor and hold your breath forever.

Don't beat around the bush - tell us exactly what you mean :lol:  :lol:

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:38 am 

leggi wrote:Hi all,

As you can see I'm a newbie here. I've visited the site quite a few times in the past but never looked at the forums until yesterday when the first thread I spotted had a familiar name in the title - yes, your friend and mine Mr Whitfield.

About 4 years ago I used to buy and sell a fair amount of D&D stuff on ebay. A friend of mine had dealt with Cougar, even visited his house but eventually got burned and warned me off him. Naturally I ignored him as I couldn't resist a few 99p bargains. Now nothing really terrible happened to me but I still got fed up with him. His postage was obscene and several items didn't come complete with maps as I'd expected. Now to be fair, I'm pretty sure he refunded me for those items - maybe being someone not that far away from him, he was afraid of repraisals, I don't know but still, I learned my lesson. My friend and I used to joke about this guy quite a bit so I remembered his name.

Anyway, about a month ago I started the collection up again and then this week ended up watching an item that cougar was selling. I started recalling what a terrible seller he was...and then just a day or so later came across this thread. At first I thought it was an amazing coincidence then I read all 75 pages of this hilarious thread and realise that no, it won't be long before anyone who likes D&D and uses ebay will know of this tool.

So hello! And I must say I am tempted to use my decent feedback and 100%+ score to inflict some blows on this idiot.

Hi - I'm Leggi's mate...I first got into eBay because of a sudden resurgence in my interest in D&D back in 2001, and as you might expect, quickly found that the Coug seemed to have a copy of everything, and at great starting prices.

So I bought a few things, all of which turned up OK, and mutual positive was left in every case. But then a Ravenloft box set arrived with £15 postage, which I queried with him but was assured was correct, I wasn't too happy, but again mutual positives were exchanged. By this time I had started to become irritated with the badly worded Terms and Conditions that accompanied each win, the pressing for feedback and the lack of Paypal.

At that time I had a job that allowed me free reign to travel through the UK with my company picking up the bill, so the next time I won some items I arranged to pick them up from his house. This wasn't the address that he seems to be at currently, though it was still in Portsmouth. It was a typical "two-up two-down" (for our non UK cousins this is a very small and pokey style of house built for labourers in the 19th Century - two rooms upstairs, two rooms downstairs). The entire front room was floor to ceiliing D&D stuff, there is no way that anyone could have used it as any kind of living space.

The deal was done, and I went away, and bought a couple more things once he started using Paypal. My feedback to him was always on the lines of "Great you're using Paypal now", in case he ever went back on it so people could see.

All in all, I never got a bad product, never had too bad an experience, and never had anything other than a mutual positive, but dealing with him left enough of a nasty taste in my mouth that I no longer bid on his auctions, and in moments of idle spite, would occasionally bid on things he was going for just to drive the price up.

As Leggi says, we've occasionally joked about it since, and when Toolhaus first came to the fore, his was certainly the first name that I checked.

Have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, well done to everyone for making life difficult for unscrupulous eBayers.

---------->Warhead<----------

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:25 am 

No that woul dhave been leggi who had a frined who had been there and I do believe that frined was warhead.  :)

I just am a poor individule who enjoys ragging on a dispicable individule.
Hey some of us enjoy the aspect of being able to say it like it really is. LOL

I know I am a tad bit direct but thats why I am fun. Well for all of us who are honest and friendly. I am good entertainment.  :lol:

Oh hey Warhead, shh dont tell no one but that 2 up and 2 down sounds better then about a third of our American big city apts that people pay more then 1k a month too rent with two whole rooms. One bathroom,  and one kitchen, living, bedroom combined. Silly city dwellers.

Bruce Thibodeau

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:10 am 

Ogreden wrote:No that woul dhave been leggi who had a frined who had been there and I do believe that frined was warhead.  :)

I just am a poor individule who enjoys ragging on a dispicable individule.
Hey some of us enjoy the aspect of being able to say it like it really is. LOL

My bad!  Sorry about that.

At that time I had a job that allowed me free reign to travel through the UK with my company picking up the bill, so the next time I won some items I arranged to pick them up from his house. This wasn't the address that he seems to be at currently, though it was still in Portsmouth. It was a typical "two-up two-down" (for our non UK cousins this is a very small and pokey style of house built for labourers in the 19th Century - two rooms upstairs, two rooms downstairs). The entire front room was floor to ceiliing D&D stuff, there is no way that anyone could have used it as any kind of living space.

Well now, Dave lives in a "pokey" house.  It adds lots of credence to our initial suspicions that he really doesn't own three houses.  I mean, if the one he lives in is pokey, why own other properties?  And there's so much D&D stuff downstairs, it wasn't suitable for living.  Definitely a bachelor pad.  His identity is so wrapped up in D&D, he's got no other life.  Sad.

Come on Dave!  Wake up!  It's not too late to get a life and enjoy so much more.  Sure, other people lie and cheat and steal and are mean, but not everyone is that way.  I love D&D and I love collecting, but it's not what I live for.  Stuff is ultimately hollow.  Once you get what you want, you want more.  Collection creep is for real and it can make decisions for you. Possessions possess.  Having a few things in life to enjoy is fine, but when the things define who you are instead of relationships and values, you've gone too far.  Decide who you want to be and change.  You have become that which you didn't like to begin with.  Wake the hell up! :idea:   I am not being mean here, I'm trying to help you.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:27 am 

Hey warhead, glad you could join in.

Can you tell us as I'm not sure I ever asked you but what was he like in person? What did he look like? How did he act?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 85 of 111123 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 109110111