Cougarrinard is now using Ebay ID of littleprincessfreya
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 82 of 111123 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:01 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I have read that felons who get caught often try to cover their shame by claiming that they deliberately left clues for the police.

I suspect this ruse is used quite a bit in various ways. By the time it filters down the press to readers, the accounts fall into two major categories:

1. the unbelievably dumb criminal. Criminals [particularly those who get caught] tend to be too dumb to function normally in society, so this one seems plausible. But it often sounds like they are simply covering their tracks by omitting relevant details.

Cop: "So after robbing the bank, you just stood around on a street corner. Were you waiting for an accomplice with a getaway car? Criminal: "I didn't have an accomplice. I waited there because I'm dumb."

2. the criminal mastermind. Those too dumb to cover their tracks, or too egotistical, invent narratives in which they demonstrate absolute mastery over their victims. If the victims are dead, they won't be around to say otherwise.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:03 pm 

Dave's claim about 1500 emails per day could be true.  Technically.

He might be emailing to a large list of people every day...and counting his list as replies to queries they made in the past.  It isn't exactly the same thing, but it does fit his demonstrated way of thinking.  The key word in Dave's known thinking is "technically."   For instance, "I never said the map was included," may be technically true while it is clearly a violation of accepted business practice and is, morally, a lie.

In the mind of a guy with Dave's demonstrated behavior, the normal rules of expected, polite behavior do not apply when he cannot see the face of his customer.  He acts in ways he would not dare when face-to-face because "technically," he is in the right.

Dave's story of owning three houses may also be true.

Dave's demonstrated behavior also fits the general pattern of a person who (on a subconscious level) believes himself entitled to what he wants.  That is why he does not blink online when making some of his more outrageous shady deals.  He is in the right, so why shouldn't he defend himself and use any means possible...because that is right and normal in his view.

This pattern is consistent with a person who inherited wealth...such as three houses.  Many (not all...so don't flip out) people who inherit wealth have the subconscious assumption that they are wealthy based upon their own merits.  After all, poor people are poor because of their own, bad choices...(right?)...therefore I am wealthy because of my own good choices.  Never mind that my father worked hard and left me three houses...I have them now because I deserve it.  After all, our kind of people deserve to be wealthy.

Back when he was governor of Texas, a former governor of Texas (Baker?) said about George W. Bush:  "He was born on third base, but he thinks he hit a triple."

Whether this is fair or not to Bush, it does illustrate the pattern consistent with Dave's demonstrated behavior.  The all-important gap between having inherited the houses and having earned the houses might be a small distance for Dave's mind to cross.  If he rents the properties, lives on the proceeds and supplements with game sales, then he has "earned" them, hasn't he?

The two mindsets described above seem to be related.  They are the thought patterns closely associated with shady businessmen.

Of course, all of this is hypothetical because everything Dave says is true.  Technically.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:20 am 

Here's the bottom line with Diamond Dave: he is a complete non-factor in terms of selling D&D items. And he loses money every single day that he insists on remaining an active eBay seller. I mean that literally: every day that he wakes up and decides to stay on eBay, he loses money.

The proof is not that hard to find. Just examine two sets of numbers: all of the large lots he buys up, and his subsequent sales. Or, more accurately, no-sales.

Here's a typical page from DM Dave's completed-items history. I've had to shrink it down a bit so as not to destroy the formatting of this forums page, but the only real detail that matters is that long column of red. That's right: it's an entire page of no-sales.

But wait, there's more! The page before this one was also exclusively no-sales. As was the page after. And the one after that. The one after that had like two sales.

And, let's face it, even his sales are nothing to get too excited about. The vast majority are for .99 of a British pound. Cougie makes some of that back, of course, with his "ask for shipping quote, but I'll never, ever reply" scam, but it's not nearly enough to set off all of those listing fees ... not to mention all the cash he's put out to win all of these large lots.

As an eBay seller, Diamond Dave is a complete joke. As a so-called "businessman," he's even worse. There is no "three houses." He is absolutely not a factor in the world of D&D collecting.

We never would mention the guy at all here if he wasn't such a lying, thieving scumbag that gives the entire hobby a bad name.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:55 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:
And, let's face it, even his sales are nothing to get too excited about. The vast majority are for .99 of a British pound. Cougie makes some of that back, of course, with his "ask for shipping quote, but I'll never, ever reply" scam, but it's not nearly enough to set off all of those listing fees ... not to mention all the cash he's put out to win all of these large lots.

As an eBay seller, Diamond Dave is a complete joke. As a so-called "businessman," he's even worse. There is no "three houses." He is absolutely not a factor in the world of D&D collecting.

We never would mention the guy at all here if he wasn't such a lying, thieving scumbag that gives the entire hobby a bad name.

Jeez that's just pathetic.  But Mark may be right..if he somehow came into money, he might be able to support his consistently losing money on ebay schtick.

A few years back, there was a game and comic shop in my neighborhood. This was during the big comics boom/bust of the early 90s.  It was run by a gun and his mom, who had absolutely zero clue how to run a business period, much less a bookstore or comics store.  They absolutely lost money hand over fist month after month after month....and it didn't matter.  The husband/father had died a couple years earlier leaving the mon and son a nice million dollar insurance policy.  They could continue to mismanage the place...and they did...for quite a long time before it came time to finally close the doors.  The absolute worst comic/game store in town lasted for many years before they finally got tired, sold off their stock, and bought a ton of beanie babie and baseball cards to open another craptastic niche store somewhere in Dallas.  For all I know they may still be trying to cut a chunk out of that million dollars with a store selling magic cards and World of Warcraft crap.

I think there's a good chance Cougie is a trust fund baby, or the UK equivalent, and what he makes or doesn't make on ebay isn't a concern of his.  May explain the absolute lack of profit, lack of customer service, and shitty attitude the guy seems to exude in all instances.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:37 am 

A gun and his mom? You mean they decided to take a shot at it? Yikes, Mikey, seems like the mere mention of Cougie causes interesting Freudian slips!
Most likely he is an inheritor. It would explain everything.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:20 am 

Badmike wrote:
Jeez that's just pathetic.  But Mark may be right..if he somehow came into money, he might be able to support his consistently losing money on ebay schtick.

I think there's a good chance Cougie is a trust fund baby, or the UK equivalent, and what he makes or doesn't make on ebay isn't a concern of his.  May explain the absolute lack of profit, lack of customer service, and shitty attitude the guy seems to exude in all instances.

Mike B.

If this is true, and it makes sense to me, then we are merely entertainment to him.  Of course, if he gets caught or shut down, we'll be a nightmare.

I still think a key to eBay shutting him down is when he loses his PowerSeller status and that hasn't happened yet.  And since they just changed the PowerSeller requirements to include not only dollar requirement levels but number of item requirements levels, we may be waiting a long time.  Even with all the non sales, he apparently had almost 500 feedbacks given last month which means he probably had about 600 sales.  There's a sucker born every minute and Dave is right there to help them take their money.  :roll:   Sad.

Still, even though it's depressing to see people ripped and yanked and potentially turned away from our hobby, I'm pleased we are doing all we can to warn people and provide this running commentary for future reference.  At least when someone kills Dave or burns one of his houses down, the police will know what happened and why (not that I am advocating that at all). :(

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:07 am 

Hi,

actually, Archerongames http://members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI. ... herongames

sells more rpg stuff in the UK than Dave does, even tho he's only been on Ebay for half the time Dave has.

Better feedback as well.

So Dave, I think your attitude has lost you first place.

Cheers,

Malc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:17 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

sells more rpg stuff in the UK than Dave does, even tho he's only been on Ebay for half the time Dave has.
Better feedback as well.

Cheers,
Malc

Wow!  Archerongames is kicking the CRAP out of Cougie's online business!

More feedback than Coug...and a fraction of the negs/withdraws!  All hail UK's best online seller (volume and quality), Archerongames!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:28 pm 

Who else joined in on Ogreden's fun?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:27 pm 

I am unsure of Ebays fourm policy but I can tell you that anyone, who wanted to write a guide could do so. Just keep to the facts of what to do and what to look for from sellers.

It may not be seen as much but it would be one other way to get it out there. The forum method may be a way, but again. The best is to keep from getting into it as we often have in this thread. Keeping it clean and remember that even kids would be able to see it.

The one reason Dave is still around is because all of us have been online for years now. But there are new people who have never experienced the internet signing on today as I type this for the first time. a portion of that percentage will be people who have never seen ebay. Although most in the world have now heard of it. Thus they will arrive there, and see items that we are used too. They are not. And these same people will buy there first items from whoever. Sometimes it goes OK and sometimes not. They learn as we did and it continues.

Bruce Thibodeau

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:56 pm 

Badmike wrote:All hail UK's best online seller (volume and quality), Archerongames!

Wow, that's pretty interesting stuff.

Dave, would you care to comment here? I mean, seeing as how you tie your entire sense of self-worth into your eBay statistics, this seems like a fairly serious setback. I'm guessing more therapy sessions are on the way, at the very least.

Dave? Comments?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:17 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Wow, that's pretty interesting stuff.

Dave, would you care to comment here? I mean, seeing as how you tie your entire sense of self-worth into your eBay statistics, this seems like a fairly serious setback. I'm guessing more therapy sessions are on the way, at the very least.

Dave? Comments?

Archeron has more sales than Coug....a much lighter neg total...and there's no way on Earth they'll ever catch up to Coug's Mutual Withdraw record setting pace. Not to mention looking at the Seller Ratings (Daves are, to be charitable, awful).  

When Coug continues this "largest online seller in the UK" crap someone needs to start sending him the link to Archerongames....

Mike B.

Last edited by Badmike on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:00 pm 

Better feedback as well.

Cheers,
Malc

to keep so many feedbacks down to so few negs, indeed shows that the seller is damn good.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:25 pm 

Better feedback as well.

Cheers,
Malc

super professional outfit - a pleasure to deal with (and their on-line prices outside of ebay are worth checking too!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:01 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Who else joined in on Ogreden's fun?

I did! :lol:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:12 am 

You know, Ogre's auction may shoot down the theory of an inside man at eBay. I am surprised it wasn't taken down, given the obvious references in the questions.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:16 pm 

LOL  I was surprised it wasnt too.

Actually I figured it was going to be. But as I said I wasnt worried.
I figured so longs as I avoided actually getting vulgar or useing slanderous language. I figured it may stand.

Which is why I had to do a bit of tongue in cheek comments and searching for creative words and means to say what I wanted but sound as polite and well mannered as I could.

I dont mind but come on guys dont bait me too bad when yas do that.  :lol:

Bruce Thibodeau

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:09 pm 

I tried to tone down my usual sarcasm..........

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 82 of 111123 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 109110111