Cougarrinard is now using Ebay ID of littleprincessfreya
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 76 of 111123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 am 

forkbeard wrote:Here are some links to give you an idea about Portsmouth...

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/modules.php? ... e&sid=2273

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/modules.php? ... e&sid=1901

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... portsmouth

http://www.upsu.net/forums/v/message,3,634.htm

And for those who don't know what a chav is like, this link should give you some sort of a clue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FolrHmhwggo

Excellent posting, funny amusing and enlightening for our American cousins.

Now you all know what a shithole Portsmouth is, and that a "CHAV" is a UK version of yer basic American "Trailer Trash" type.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:23 am 

I guess if I ever get over to the U.K. I will have to make sure and stay out of the chav-infested parts of the country.  :D

In the meantime, anyone can sharpen their "chav-hunting" skills here:  http://www.maniacworld.com/Chav-Hunter-game.htm

It is rumored that cougarrinard is the boss on the last level of the game.  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:48 am 

Man, you Brits are the best. Now I can say I scored a Chav last week and rogered her proper. Feed me more terms!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:02 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Man, you Brits are the best. Now I can say I scored a Chav last week and rogered her proper. Feed me more terms!

naa, that should read "pulled an Essex Girl and shagged her" !
  :wink:

Cheers,
Malc

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:11 pm 

Man, British slang is the best. It makes our watered-down American version look pathetic and useless.

Speaking of which, here's one I've always wondered about: as a casual soccer fan, I often see Portsmouth referred to as "Pompey." For instance, "Pompey rarely crossed midfield in getting blanked by Chelsea, 7-nil."

Is that historical in some way? A play on words? Another piece of UK slang? This dumb American just doesn't get it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:24 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I often see Portsmouth referred to as "Pompey."..Is that historical in some way?

Wishful thinking, they mean Pompeii.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:08 pm 

Apparently its not really known why:

http://portsmouth.rivals.net/default.as ... id=7974813

Cheers,
Malc

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:12 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Man, British slang is the best. It makes our watered-down American version look pathetic and useless.

Well, to be fair, it IS our language.

And we've had a lot longer than you to corrupt it  :lol:

Cheers,
Malc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am 

sauromatian wrote:
Wishful thinking, they mean Pompeii.

No, "Pompey" is the correct spelling.  The soccer/football club Portsmouth has seen more ups and downs much like the town; the book I am looking at, The Rough Guide to English Football (1999-2000 edition; Portsmouth's thumbnail sketch is pages 413 to 418) doesn't say when, how, or why "Portsmouth" is a.k.a. "Pompey", unfortunately.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:13 am 

A win for the seller here, seems Dave (TURD) wasnt able to get the M Bag option and even left a positive as appreciation :roll: , (good to see he is being held to account by some sellers). :pukel:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The Fringe Dweller looks to West, narrows his eyes to focus on the figures protecting the Castle walls and begins his stealthy advance.

Keeper of the Arcane

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:36 pm 

I wonder if the Ctard uses this company to deliver his goods....could explain the disappearing items maybe!   :lol:

http://www.cougar-couriers.co.uk/

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:27 pm 

I love his follow up remark!!

Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:53 pm 

Bad move, sending to the US address. Paypal would not cover it, since the payment was from the UK.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:15 pm 

So let me get this straight...

Whitfield is PAYING for these auction items, PAYING for the items to be shipped to a US Address, and then allegedly PAYING a "mate" to ship them to him overseas via M-bags?

That means Mr. Whitfield is paying TWICE to have lots shipped to him from the US to overseas. To me, that is truly a REMARKABLY intelligent way to make money.

Especially when you sell 90% of your items for .99 pounds sterling.

:lol:

But hey, if it works, maybe we should all take some business lessons from him. I wish I could figure out how to pay twice to have resale items shipped to me, then sell them at a loss, and still own 3 houses!

:roll:

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:30 pm 

Dave's business model is to make cash from handling fees.

On the lot here, he paid $50 for what - 30 books, all in poor shape. He'll pay media mail shipping to his mate, and M-bag it over to the UK (I'm betting the M-bags from his mate never go missing). Factor in another $50 for shipping total, but it would probably be less.

Those 30 items will all get listed at 99p, and described as being in VGC. They'll sell for somewhere between one to five quid each, say an average of 2.50 - thats 75 pounds in, so he's already showing a profit over his outlay (what's the pound/dollar conversion rate like atm?).

Then he charges shipping on each item, which is where he pays his mortgage(s). I've never bought from Dave so I'm shooting blind, but from what I've read I'll be conservative and estimate he charges triple whatever the PO charges him - so 2 pounds postage equals 6 pounds passed on to the buyer. As Natalie found out, not much in the way of combined shipping available. I'm guessing he'll make AT LEAST 100 pounds profit from posting the items out.

Factor in some returns from disgruntled buyers when they receive items that are torn, water stained, highlight-heavy and/or missing maps etc - returns that are less handling charges, less paypal fees, less ebay fees.... and he'll make at least 150 pounds profit over and above his original $100 USD outlay.

That's the business model he uses.... I can understand people getting suckered with the 99p opening bids and the VGC description... but why anybody buys from him twice is beyond me.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 pm 

If the dollar was not worth half a pound, this type of scheme would be much less available. Lots of individuals and companies use the difference in currency to make money. Its a classic trick.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:39 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Dave's business model is to make cash from handling fees.

On the lot here, he paid $50 for what - 30 books, all in poor shape. He'll pay media mail shipping to his mate, and M-bag it over to the UK (I'm betting the M-bags from his mate never go missing). Factor in another $50 for shipping total, but it would probably be less.

Those 30 items will all get listed at 99p, and described as being in VGC. They'll sell for somewhere between one to five quid each, say an average of 2.50 - thats 75 pounds in, so he's already showing a profit over his outlay (what's the pound/dollar conversion rate like atm?).

Then he charges shipping on each item, which is where he pays his mortgage(s). I've never bought from Dave so I'm shooting blind, but from what I've read I'll be conservative and estimate he charges triple whatever the PO charges him - so 2 pounds postage equals 6 pounds passed on to the buyer. As Natalie found out, not much in the way of combined shipping available. I'm guessing he'll make AT LEAST 100 pounds profit from posting the items out.

Factor in some returns from disgruntled buyers when they receive items that are torn, water stained, highlight-heavy and/or missing maps etc - returns that are less handling charges, less paypal fees, less ebay fees.... and he'll make at least 150 pounds profit over and above his original $100 USD outlay.

That's the business model he uses.... I can understand people getting suckered with the 99p opening bids and the VGC description... but why anybody buys from him twice is beyond me.

Regards

Mike

Maybe that is what Dave is laughing about when he writes (paraphrasing slightly):   "I laff CUZ if U don no WHAT I m Doing an U caNt figur IT out."

Maybe he's laughing because he knows that he is not actually selling game materials at all...he's selling postage.  (Which makes his alleged stamp sale schemes  a double irony.)

But then...nowadays Ebay RPG sellers are not really making money on the auctions anyway.  It costs $1.99 for the auction and $7.95 (if the buyer is lucky) to ship a single module.  The $1.99 pays the Ebay listing fees and the profit is obviously in the shipping.

So, Dave is just an early example of what is now the basic Ebay scam.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:43 pm 

Also...double irony that Dave harps about "RELIABLE M Bags" since he is the one who is infamous for claiming that they never arrived.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 76 of 111123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 109110111