Dungeons and Dragons in the news
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:13 pm 

Thought this would be fun thread. Probably an old one somewhere, just too lazy to find it :)

Gamers in California find world's tallest tree.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/01/05/tall.treehunters.ap/index.html

And one of the guys also sells (silver) on eBay.

Cheers :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:16 am 

I am impressed with the original method of measuring.... lets climb to the top and drop a measuring tape.

Record trees
Tallest living tree: Hyperion (coast redwood), 378.1 feet, Redwood National Park

Tallest recorded tree: Unnamed eucalyptus, 500-plus feet, recorded in 1872 in Australia

Most massive living tree: General Sherman (giant sequoia), estimated weight 4 million pounds, Sequoia National Park

Largest tree canopy: A great banyan in Calcutta's Indian Botanical Garden covers three acres.

Oldest living tree: Methuselah (Bristlecone pine), estimated 4,650 years old, California's White Mountains

Source: Guinness Book of World Records

Now if we didn;t believe in cutting down all the trees we can find then we could have done the same here (Victoria, Oz)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:24 am 

improvstone wrote:I am impressed with the original method of measuring.... lets climb to the top and drop a measuring tape.

Now if we didn;t believe in cutting down all the trees we can find then we could have done the same here (Victoria, Oz)

Amazing - it's hard to fathom thje enormity of some of these figures.

But one thing - I've never really understood how one is supposed to climb to the top of a tree (a la Bilbo Baggins in Murkwood) - Mostly it's easy enough - but that last bit where there is no actual trunk poses a real problem - is it that easy to just stick your head above the canopy and sling a measure down?

Kudos to the guys who do it though - 300+ foot - holy shit - I get a nosebleed at 20 feet!

(And what's with the mention of D&D anyway - is it just keyword spamming to get more people to look at the article?)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:39 am 

I guess they were just trying to prove that only nerds would look for tall trees rather than tall blondes in mini skirts  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:14 pm 

I never got a chance to look at the coastal redwoods when I went to California, having visited friends who live about an hour from Sequoia National Forest.  I took advantage of the proximity to Sequoia to see the other monster tree, the General Sherman.  The largest trees in the world by volume, these things are just as impressive as the coastal redwoods.

I do have a videolog of the trip...makes for good memories.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am 

"With a few clicks, the device can calculate an object's height based on readings of its distance and the angle to the top. It accomplishes in seconds what had taken all day using old-fashioned surveying instruments and skill in trigonometry."

Bullchips!!!!!!

Actually that statement is partially correct. If using old-fashioned surveying instruments; from the 1800's.

With today's technology (Specifically in land surveying) I can measure the height of any visible object with less that one tenth of a foot error in less than 2 minutes; up to 1200 meters away and even further with some of the latest and more expensive surveying equipment.

His hand held device has an obvious defect insofar as a precise measurement would require in that he MUST hold the device perfectly still long enough to give accurate measurement to any true level of accuracy. While standing still, he takes a first reading at the base of the tree, and then while remaining perfectly still he MOVES the device to take a separate second reading at the top of the tree. In that short space of time, his entire body and most especially the hand holding his device MUST remain rigid at the base angle (IE. Where the device is in his hands): otherwise errors in measurement will compound to give false readings.

Still, I have little doubt that his measurements (If done correctly every time) are within a 5-10% degree of accuracy with the methods he is using. Meaning that if the tree is 400' tall, he should be able to obtain a rough estimate of the trees height, within 20-40' of the trees true height..... :oops:

Worse: Are you aware what the top of a 400' tall tree located on a high mountainous area is doing most of the time? It is almost constantly moving, with any slight breeze the top of the tree is swaying to and fro, back and forth. Add more error to his measurements.

However, more importantly my main point for this post is that modern handheld technology cannot replace TRULY accurate measurements using modern measurement (Surveying) technology; and more especially with that modern technology being in the hands of those skilled and knowledgeable in measurement technology (Professional Surveyors).

I emphasize the term ACCURATE MEASUREMENTS……

Another example of this is in the handheld GPS devices that are so popular these days. Folks think that the Wal-Mart GPS handheld unit that they bought will allow them to survey land, find boundary corners and even set missing boundary corners ………… as good as and just like a Professional Land Surveyor, and at a fraction of the cost………… :lol:

I could spend hours discussing the errors in that thinking.

Bottom line is this:  If you REALLY want to know the PRECISE location of your property boundaries, put the Handheld GPS unit back in the hiking gear bag and hire a professional land surveyor; and the same thing goes for measuring tree heights in your backyard; unless you decide to climb it to the very top branch and drop a tape down through the foliage. Best of luck hangin on to that swaying branch.  8O :lol:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM