Different sized maps in Greyhawk boxed set
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:10 pm 

Long-time lurker here with a question that has been nagging at me since about 1984... ;)

The two maps that come with my copy of the Greyhawk boxed set are slightly different in size to one another.  The western map is slightly larger, so much so that its hexes do not line up with those on the eastern map (it looks like the western map is printed on a slightly larger scale).  If you line up the tops of the maps, for example, the bottom of the western half extends beyond the bottom of the eastern half by a good half-dozen or so hexes.  Also, the colours on the maps are slightly different - the yellows of the deserts, for example, are of slightly different tones.

(I can post pictures, if that would help in getting what I mean...)

I looked on the Acaeum page covering the boxed set (and ran some searches in the forum), but didn't notice any mention of this issue.  Has anyone else run across this?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:06 pm 

I just did some more checking.  The eastern (right hand) map has the code listed as being present on the Acaeum page for the product (1015XXX0703).  The larger western (left hand) map, however, does not have the code (it should apparently say 1015XXX0702).  Instead it has a copyright note ("1980, TSR Hobbies, Inc" and "All Rights Reserved" in two lines).  There are no other codes on the western map.  Is this some kind of weird hybrid with one map from an earlier printing?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:43 pm 

Kamelion wrote:I just did some more checking.  The eastern (right hand) map has the code listed as being present on the Acaeum page for the product (1015XXX0703).  The larger western (left hand) map, however, does not have the code (it should apparently say 1015XXX0702).  Instead it has a copyright note ("1980, TSR Hobbies, Inc" and "All Rights Reserved" in two lines).  There are no other codes on the western map.  Is this some kind of weird hybrid with one map from an earlier printing?

Is there a chance one is from the folio?  I don't have one nearby so I can't check....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:56 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Is there a chance one is from the folio?  I don't have one nearby so I can't check....

Mike B.

It's possible (I don't have the folio version myself, so can't check either, heh heh).  The description of the map does match some of the information for the sixth printing (the last folio edition, afaik).  The Acaeum page on the set states this for the 6th printing:

"Both maps have "1980, TSR Hobbies, Inc" and "All Rights Reserved." on two lines in lower right corner.  In addition there is "106-M-9025" and "115-M-9025" on left and right maps respectively, on the same line and to the right of "All Rights Reserved" but in smaller lettering."

My copy doesn't have the additional "106-M-9025" code, however, nor does it have the "015XXX0702" code in place of the copyright notice that is supposedly on the 7th (boxed) printings of the set.

So my western map has some characteristics of the 6th printing folio map, but not all characteristics.  And my eastern map is definitely 7th printing.  Strange...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:42 am 

Paul Stormberg has some discussion on the Dragonsfoot boards, somewhere, comparing the size and paper quality of the maps from the folio vs. the box set.  It might be worth trying to dig up some info there.

My hunch aligns with Mike's:  you got have mixed maps.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:52 am 

grodog wrote:Paul Stormberg has some discussion on the Dragonsfoot boards, somewhere, comparing the size and paper quality of the maps from the folio vs. the box set.  It might be worth trying to dig up some info there.

Cool - thanks for the pointer.  I took at look at his posts on the subject and will break out my tape measure later on and double-check the dimensions.

My hunch aligns with Mike's:  you got have mixed maps.

Yeah, sounds like that is probably the case.  I'm still interested in finding out why my (apparently) folio western map doesn't quite match all the characteristics described on the Acaeum page for the set.

So no other reports of other members having mixed maps in their boxed sets?  I wonder how widespread this was.  I bought my copy at a toy/game store in Tokyo (just down the road from the Oriental Bazaar in Harajuku, iirc) back in late 1984, but I've no idea if that's relevant or not... :)