Foreign editions of Dragon Magazine
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:01 pm 

I recently picked up the first 2 issues of the French Dragon magazine.

#1 has the cover from Dragon #143 but was released for September-October 1991 (while Dragon #143 was March 1989)

#2 has an Easley cover but I don't think it was originally a Dragon Magazine cover - I've seen it somewhere else but can't remember where right now.
This one is for Nov-Dec 1991.

The articles and advertisements also appear to be different.

I was wondering if anyone knows how many issues in French were produced and if Dragon magazine was put out in any other language.  I have a couple of UK issues but the only difference in those seems to be the price in pounds.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:47 pm 

I have issues 0-2 of the french Dragon Magazine, issues 1-17 of the German version and issue 7 of the D&D Magazine in Japanese (Don't know if this is marked as DRagon I'm pretty sure its D&D Magazine)

Brette:)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:39 am 

Mars wrote:I recently picked up the first 2 issues of the French Dragon magazine.

I was wondering if anyone knows how many issues in French were produced

46 I think, from #0 to #45, but loki would be able to confirm (or not) that.

I think that a Dragon magazine in french was not a word for word translation of a specific number of Dragon US, but picked interesting subjects from various US Dragons.
That is why covers didn't match the US Version.

And original topics were certainly developped by the french team.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:41 am 

Around 1998-1999, there was a Hungarian edition that lived a dozen issues or so. It contained a mix of translations and original material. Apparently, people greatly preferred the latter, and the license was eventually abandoned. On the other hand, the publisher didn't follow it up with their own thing, so I don't know how profitable it was at all. Probably not that much.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:34 am 

Dragon magazine, the french one, is not a french copy of Dragons magazine. In fact they are totally different magazines with no relation between each others.

And yes, "Rabbi Jacob" (;)) has right, there was 46, from 0 to 45.
After the last issue, the magazine changed his name to Multimondes.

This magazine is particularly written to describe fantasy world and to give gaming aids related to them, and of course designed for games like AD&D and especially AD&D2 but not only for them.

You can find cover pictures and contains here
http://chg96.free.fr/grenier/imaginaires/index.htm

And I put a bunch of copies on ebay actually :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:54 am 

Mars wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows how many issues in French were produced and if Dragon magazine was put out in any other language.  I have a couple of UK issues but the only difference in those seems to be the price in pounds.

There is an Italian edition of Dragon and Dungeon magazines at the moment, combined on one bimonthly publication aptly named Dragon & Dungeon (D&D - got it?  :oops: ). It's of course strictly devoted to 3.5 material and for the most part it has translation of original articles.