D&D Art Collecting Help
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:09 pm 

Here are some pics of the folders etc. I dont know if I have any individual pics or not. I will check when I get a chance.

I have one more 3 ring binder that has completely different artwork from any of the others.

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:22 pm 

Wow! Thank you!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:09 am 

Take a look at how much of the original paintings are cropped with this example of the DM's Guide.
Here is the book placed over the painting.
Anybody have a pic of the other original paintings to the 1E AD&D hardcovers?
Here's the painting for what was to be T2 but was used for AC5.
Here's a question completely unrelated. These are both listed as Boot Hill 1975. Are these different printings?

Last edited by kevin mayle on Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:37 am 

Thats interesting, I only have one known Boot Hill GK logo product list and from the time it appears to when the GK logo becomes the lizard logo is not much apart. So I'm curious as to this as well.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:30 pm 

That DMG cover painting is simply magnificent.  
I would love to see the entire PHB Trampier painting.  
The AC5 cover is a beauty by Caldwell as well.  Wish the owner would put that one up for sale some day...  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:53 pm 

Plaag wrote:Thats interesting, I only have one known Boot Hill GK logo product list and from the time it appears to when the GK logo becomes the lizard logo is not much apart. So I'm curious as to this as well.

ShaneG.

I think I sent you both of these catalogs Shane.  They would have been labelled BH1c and BH2c.

Yes these are two different printings.  The one on the left is a 1st print and the one on the right is a 2nd.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:55 pm 

Mars wrote:
I think I sent you both of these catalogs Shane.  They would have been labelled BH1c and BH2c.

Yes these are two different printings.  The one on the left is a 1st print and the one on the right is a 2nd.

Ah, didn't know the 2nd also had the GK logo..Thanks.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:24 pm 

Mars wrote:

Cool, thanks for clearing that up, but now which one of those were drawn by Tracy Lesch and who drew the other? I know the 1979 cover was done by Elladan Elrohir. How's that for a name?

VermilionFire wrote:That DMG cover painting is simply magnificent.
I would love to see the entire PHB Trampier painting.

Those 5 hardcovers are unique in the fact that the art covers the front, binding and back of them, they are so iconic, and though most of the pre-1983 original art no longer exist, These 5 still do, and yet we only have this one photo of the DMG as proof. I had to straighten it out in photoshop so that it's the right perspective and size, as if you were looking at it head on, and color correct it. You can see what I mean by looking at the photo I used of AC5 and the more symmetrical and vibrant image I made below it. Why can't the owners of the other 4 hardcovers take some pictures so we can see how much of those were cropped off. I mean look at that DMG. Did you know there were stairs leading up to the Efreet?

Last edited by kevin mayle on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:09 pm 

kevin mayle wrote:Those 5 hardcovers are unique in the fact that the art covers the front, binding and back of them, they are so iconic, and though most of the pre-1983 original art no longer exist, These 5 still do, and yet we only have this one photo of the DMG as proof. I had to straighten it out in photoshop so that it's the right perspective and size, as if you were looking at it head on, and color correct it. You can see what I mean by looking at the photo I used of AC5 and the more symmetrical and vibrant image below it. Why can't the owners of the other 4 hardcovers take some pictures so we can see how much of those were cropped off. I mean look at that DMG. Did you know there were stairs leading up to the Efreet?

Rumor is that Gygax  himself has the PHB cover and perhaps the Monster Manual cover as well.  The other two wraparound art covers are the Fiend Folio and Deities and Demigods, right?  I recall hearing that the Fiend Folio cover is in the hands of a UK collector who wishes to remain anonymous.  The Deities and Demigods cover, I believe, was sold by Aaron at Noble Knight to the guitarist of some rock band who is a big fan of D&D.  I think it was the Deities cover, but perhaps it was the Legends and Lore cover.  Whatever it was, Aaron gave me first crack at only $2,000 and I passed on it... I didn't collect the art back then and I kick myself now.  I'll have to ask Aaron to confirm the details again.  
And, yes, it is much clearer that the stairs lead to the Efreet in the complete cover.  Of all the covers, the DMG cover is the one I covet the most.   :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:03 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:Rumor is that Gygax  himself has the PHB cover and perhaps the Monster Manual cover as well.:

He also owns the DCSIII art for Gateway to Adventure, but which of the 3 versions, he did not say. He told me (online Q&A) that they are put away, so we probably aren't going to see them anytime soon.
The other two wraparound art covers are the Fiend Folio and Deities and Demigods, right?

Correct.
I recall hearing that the Fiend Folio cover is in the hands of a UK collector who wishes to remain anonymous.

I heard this as well and I don't understand why the anonymity. At least anonymously throw us a digital pic to admire.  
The Deities and Demigods cover, I believe, was sold by Aaron at Noble Knight to the guitarist of some rock band who is a big fan of D&D.

I heard bassist, but I can't remember if the band name was mentioned.
I'll have to ask Aaron to confirm the details again.

Could you see if he has a picture of it he could post?
Thanks,
Kevin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:00 am 

You're right, I think it was bassist.  I just placed my quarterly order with Aaron so I'll send him an e-mail to ask.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:27 am 

kevin mayle wrote:Here's a question completely unrelated. These are both listed as Boot Hill 1975. Are these different printings?
[ Image ]

I believe the Boot Hill on the left is the first printing...I would have to check...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:39 am 

Kevin: I did the same thing as you with the AC5 in Photoshop (great minds and all...):

This picture represents the Ruined Moathouse in T1 Village of Hommlet. Someone should make a "what-if" mock-up of T1-4 with this as the cover.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:25 am 

VermilionFire wrote:I just placed my quarterly order with Aaron so I'll send him an e-mail to ask.

Cool. Thanks.
IttyBitty wrote:I believe the Boot Hill on the left is the first printing...I would have to check.

Thanks but Mars answered it 6 posts up. Though if you do have them, could you check to see which one of those were drawn by Tracy Lesch and who drew the other?
zhowar wrote:Kevin: I did the same thing as you with the AC5 in Photoshop (great minds and all...):

That's cool. I think it's amazing that photoshop can do that.
This picture represents the Ruined Moathouse in T1 Village of Hommlet. Someone should make a "what-if" mock-up of T1-4 with this as the cover.

I was under the impression that it was painted to be used as the cover to T2 - The Temple of Elemental Evil, as written by Gary Gygax. When the module eventually came out as T1-4 by Frank Mentzer, it was not used.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:56 am 

kevin mayle wrote:I was under the impression that it was painted to be used as the cover to T2 - The Temple of Elemental Evil, as written by Gary Gygax. When the module eventually came out as T1-4 by Frank Mentzer, it was not used.

That's what I thought, too. But why would they put the ruined moathouse from T1 on the cover of T2: Temple of Elemental Evil? It makes more sense for a module including T1 (either a revised T1 or a compilation like T1-4). Of course, perhaps this is why they ended up going with a different painting when T1-4 actually came out.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:09 pm 

Wow, those paintings (DMG and AC5) are AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting. Does anyone have server space they would temporarily dedicate to hosting the full res image of them (esp AC5) for download? Apologies in advance if this is not a legal request...

Cheers  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:46 pm 

zhowar wrote:
That's what I thought, too. But why would they put the ruined moathouse from T1 on the cover of T2: Temple of Elemental Evil? It makes more sense for a module including T1 (either a revised T1 or a compilation like T1-4). Of course, perhaps this is why they ended up going with a different painting when T1-4 actually came out.

Good point.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:15 am 

Noble Knight sold the Legends & Lore cover art to Mark Tremonti, formerly of Creed.  Aaron is the owner of the original Deities and Demigods cover art, and says he'd trade it for a new Ferrari and nothing less.  I don't blame him...

PreviousNext