Best D&D "Style" Movies
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:24 pm 

Personally I think it would make more sense to make an AD&D television series (not that it will ever happen) rather than an actual movie.

Even hoping for such a series is more fantasy than the fantasy itself but I think an ongoing AD&D campain would be better suited for a TV series.  The series Lost seems to work.  

I wouldn't mind seeing a television adaptation of something like In Search of the Unknown (with a plot of course).  I can't think of many movies with dungeon exploring other than Moria in LOTR.

But even if they could produce such a show I'm sure they would want to use the 3rd edition  :pukel:  rules with a party of superheroes.  Best to be careful what you wish for.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:01 pm 

ATOM wrote:an adult style Dungeons & Dragons movie

Isn't this a contradiction in terms?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:41 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
Isn't this a contradiction in terms?

No.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:37 pm 

bclarkie wrote:No.

I mean besides "Fear of Girls."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:40 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
I mean besides "Fear of Girls."

So are you here for some other reason than just to bait people or is that it?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:50 pm 

bclarkie wrote:So are you here for some other reason than just to bait people or is that it?

You & I bid on the same auctions, so you know whether your question is valid. But I can't help noticing a resemblance to a previous comment on this thread:

FormCritic wrote:What are you doing here then, sauromatian? I'll have to call all the engineers, officers, executives and professionals I played D&D with and let them know I won't be at this year's party because they are losers. Don't blame everyone else just cause you couldn't get a girlfriend.

Exactly who is baiting who, & why? That sounds like a threat to gang up on someone for no reason at all.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:56 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
Exactly who is baiting who, & why? That sounds like a threat to gang up on someone for no reason at all.

No threat at all.  I will say that the crap you keep posting, insinuating that D&D is "only" for kids and that gamers are all losers who also can't get laid is getting mighty tiresome, mighty quickly.  Thats also not a threat, but if you continue at this pace, people around here are either going to start treating you like a troll or they will flat out ignore you.  Or both....

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
No threat at all.  I will say that the crap you keep posting, insuinating that D&D is "only" for kids and that gamers are all losers who also can't get laid is getting mighty tiresome, mighty quickly.  Thats also not a threat, but if you continue at this pace, people around here are either going to start treating you like a troll or they will flat out ignore you.  Or both....

If he believes this to be true, then what is he doing here? I can't believe someone would join a forum just to poke fun at people. But personally, as a gamer, I have no problem whatever with poking fun at myself and my hobby.

Getting this thread back on topic, there is a Dragonlance movie coming out next month. It's animated, though.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:09 pm 

bclarkie wrote:the crap you keep posting, insuinating that D&D is "only" for kids and that gamers are all losers who also can't get laid is getting mighty tiresome, mighty quickly.  Thats also not a threat,

That was a threat, denial or not. None of my comments on this thread have varied from anyone else's; like all others they have been sarcastic & critical of the movies described. Do you mean this one:

sauromatian wrote:First Knight was a low-quality film made to appeal to a very limited 13-year-old audience.

If the point of all this has been offense to fans of the movie 'First Knight,' then I apologize. I'm sure it's really a fine film in some way or another that I just overlooked. Other than that, you can bait me all you want. I'm a better writer than you are & I can handle it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:11 pm 

silver_beetle wrote:
If he believes this to be true, then what is he doing here? I can't believe someone would join a forum just to poke fun at people. But personally, as a gamer, I have no problem whatever with poking fun at myself and my hobby. .

Your guess is as good as mine, but take a look at some of the posts in this thread.  I am really not looking to argue, I am not. :)

silver_beetle wrote:Getting this thread back on topic, there is a Dragonlance movie coming out next month. It's animated, though.

Excellent idea. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:12 pm 

sauromatian wrote: I'm a better writer than you are & I can handle it.

Okay then, if you say so.  Just please feel free to PM me and let me know when it starts okay?

Moving on....

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:28 pm 

silver_beetle wrote:Getting this thread back on topic, there is a Dragonlance movie coming out next month. It's animated, though.

I haven't seen any previews or read any blurbs on it, so what's the animation style?  Who wrote the script?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:30 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:I haven't seen any previews or read any blurbs on it, so what's the animation style?  Who wrote the script?

Here's the IMBD page on it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825245/

I had read several months ago that is was supposed to hit theaters next month(September), but looking at its IMDB page(and its Yahoo page for that matter), it doesn't look like thats going to be happening.

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:35 pm 

sauromatian wrote:The problem with the D&D movie is that it's too accurate. It's like the experience of sitting through an actual grueling six-hour gaming session. Although the film itself is much shorter than that, the dramatic flair of the actors is such that you really feel like you've spent all day waiting for it to end.

In fact it might even inspire a bit of nostalgia for that time in your past, perhaps ripe with young adulthood, when you decided to abandon gaming for the first time. Was it that special girl, or a favorite rock 'n roll combo, or just the realization that you were hanging out with a bunch of losers?

So what you are suggesting is gaming, rock 'n roll and girls are mutually exclusive?  This wasn't my experience. Maybe this was yours.  I feel sorry for you if it was.

sauromatian wrote:I once played it often enough to know every single 1st edition rule in existence, but don't know if I can return to proper 6-hour sessions. My recent return to interest in these games is because of my son. He's played D&D for a few years but is just getting into the Players Handbook-level of gaming [11 years old]. Besides helping him out with that, I've been returning to the old books I remember from the 70s.

Aren't you worried your son will miss out on girls and rock 'n roll?

Sauromatian, I can clearly see why you have irked a few members of this board.  I am hoping that was not your intention ...

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:40 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Several have mentioned 13th Warrior and I must add my agreement. That movie is Classic D&D throughout and was well acted, well directed, and well written.

How can you miss with a character named:

Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan Ibn Al Abbas Ibn Rashid Ibn Hamad

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:56 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Here's the IMBD page on it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825245/

I had read several months ago that is was supposed to hit theaters next month(September), but looking at its IMBD page(and its Yahoo page for that matter), it doesn't look like thats going to be happening.

Ah, ick.  It looks like another CGI movie.   :x

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:01 pm 

improvstone wrote: I am hoping that was not your intention ...

No it has not been, & I think I'm being held to a double standard. There are many satirical depictions of gaming on this forum which you could have chosen to police. Stuff like Knights of the Dinner Table is some of the very best there is -does it offend you?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:33 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
No it has not been, & I think I'm being held to a double standard. There are many satirical depictions of gaming on this forum which you could have chosen to police. Stuff like Knights of the Dinner Table is some of the very best there is -does it offend you?

Not in the least! Troll boy! You come across in such a rambling fashion no one can really discern what you are trying to say? What point are you trying to put across? Bar disagreeing with everyone here?

PreviousNext