Best D&D "Style" Movies
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:10 am 

First Knight! Ha Har! That had to be one of the worst Medieval themed movies ever made.Sean Connery aside alarm bells started ringing for me when i first learned Richard Gere (yawn) was in it. Now i have  a particular love for fantasy and Medieval themed movies.The worst thing for me in that abomination of a movie was the rediculous costumes and wardrobe.It was like versace designed the Armour! Poncey little shields on their silk robes as decoration? Please! Enough said.

Now thirteenth warrior was a movie! Excellent in every respect!

The main problem with any Dungeons & Dragons movies is they make them for kids and they turn out like a bad version of Hercules(ooerr).
You know the movies when you have a sword but instead punch or kick someone instead of stabbing/mutilating/decapitating or dismembering them.Dungeons & Dragons purists know well that D&D is far removed from a light hearted romp within the confines of the game.Your characters are constantly exposed to great dangers and possible horrid death at every turn.We want a proper adult D&D movie (cant see it happening though).All the light hearted kids D&D movies do is adversely effect the proper D&D game, as it puts off new interest in the game because young people then judge it like the silly movies!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:03 pm 

ATOM wrote:You know the movies when you have a sword but instead punch or kick someone instead of stabbing/mutilating/decapitating or dismembering them.

The really correct response is the tactic of Darth Maul vs. Qui-gon Jin. First distract your enemy with an unexpected punch in the nose, then go for a killing blow.

ATOM wrote:Dungeons & Dragons purists

Is that like an 'elite Game Master?'

ATOM wrote:know well that D&D is far removed from a light hearted romp within the confines of the game.Your characters are constantly exposed to great dangers and possible horrid death at every turn.We want a proper adult D&D movie

On the other hand, this isn't strictly realistic either. A video game-type character throws itself into death without reservation, or shrugs off damage like Wile E. Coyote.

Movies for adults require motivation from the characters. When someone gets badly beaten up, all the mundane effects of concussions & broken teeth must be dealt with plausibly.

From a military standpoint, a commander who squanders his forces in dramatic battles of anhilliation at first opportunity is incompetant.

Last edited by sauromatian on Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:09 pm 

FormCritic wrote: What are you doing here then, sauromatian? I'll have to call all the engineers, officers, executives and professionals I played D&D with and let them know I won't be at this year's party because they are losers. Don't blame everyone else just cause you couldn't get a girlfriend.

Oh yeah, & school-yard bullies, that brings back a lot of nostalgia too. 1981 forever!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:13 pm 

I wonder how you would translate 'levelling up' into film.

Three young adventurers from the village explore a local cave. Kill a few Kobolds, find a mysterious statue. Get a few gems and coins. Come back to the village and.......

Bzzzznnng. A column of light decends upon them from the sky. A mysterious voice rings in their ears. "Congratulations. You are now level 2."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:20 pm 

Every fantasy novel and movie follows the concept of leveling.

The heroes start out tentative and then do things like stab the Witch King of Angmar or gut a troll.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:33 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
Oh yeah, & school-yard bullies, that brings back a lot of nostalgia too. 1981 forever!

Oh..OK.   :idea:  

I haven't seen this particular type before, but now I get it.  :alien:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:08 am 

5 pages and not a single mention of

Robin Hood.... 8O

That adventure has been made and remade so many times as to make it seem common. Personally, I always liked the ancient Errol Flynn version best. Sure the story is missing fantastical monsters and magic, but it has all the medieval themes in their entirety. It features a young warrior type whose family was done wrong by a villainous system, a damsel in distress, villains galore with one truly powerful evil villain, thieving from the rich, giving to the poor (and the robbers keep some too of course).

Another oldie…. What about Chuck Heston in the Ten Commandments?
Sure it was a highly religious movie based on the bible (King James Version of course), but who can deny that he played a high level Priest? Do you remember the scene when he defeated several other priests in the famous Throne Room Battle of Sticks to Snakes (Using Staves)? Chucks snake ate the other priest's snakes.

There were many other magical actions as well. Almost by himself, with Gods help of course; he freed an entire nation from slavery, while his people were still slaves he helped them make bricks without straw (Transmutation: earth or mud to stone), he turned the river into blood, created an Insect Swarm, a plague of Frogs, the death of all first born with a seeping moving fog of death (some form of selective Cloudkill?), boils on the Egyptians skin (Cause Disease) (Along with many other plagues).

He parted the Seas and then drowned an entire army of Egyptians by canceling the spell after his people made it across, he even created an earthquake near the end when he brought the tablets down from the mountain and saw the people worshiping a false idol.

Appocalypto is a well done flick with many aspects of D&D, but do NOT allow kids to watch.

Several have mentioned 13th Warrior and I must add my agreement. That movie is Classic D&D throughout and was well acted, well directed, and well written.

A new movie came out that is most excellent IMO: Pathfinder.

It has shamonistic magic and fighting action along with some romance; it features a hunter gatherer nomadic people (American Indians) being sorely abused by villainous invading barbarian warriors (Vikings). There are swords, bows and arrows, daggers, knives, axes, and maces, traps and pitfalls and plenty of action.
OH MY!!!!!!!

The first 15 miutes or so is a bit slow; but it sets up the story background and is actually needed. Hang onto your seats for the rest of the film and dont go to the restroom. This movie is far better than the critics say.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:26 pm 

Chuck was at least a 15th level cleric, I'm sure.
13th Warrior is one of my all-time favorite films. It strays a bit from the book, but the best part about it is the complete lack of a love interest. He bangs the blonde chick, and then it's over.
Name me one other similar movie that doesn't have some sappy, Hollywood-driven romance.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:36 pm 

Been meaning to pick up Pathfinder myself.  I was originally going to rent it but now I may just buy it and be done with it.

And although it has little to do with D&D I had to mention Dino de Laurentiis' epic masterpiece Flash Gordon with the incomparable acting skills of Timothy Dalton, Max Von Sydow, and Sam J. Jones.  Galactic amounts of swashbucking action, magic mimicking technology, and high octane adventure enough to quench even the most die-hard action fans thirst.  The movie coupled with the unforgettable soundtrack by the band Queen is a classic.

Damn...I should be a movie critic.  :roll:   I did however pick the dvd up last week and it is still as fun a movie to watch as I remember it to be.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:26 am 

sauromatian wrote:
On the other hand, this isn't strictly realistic either. A video game-type character throws itself into death without reservation, or shrugs off damage like Wile E. Coyote.

Movies for adults require motivation from the characters. When someone gets badly beaten up, all the mundane effects of concussions & broken teeth must be dealt with plausibly.

From a military standpoint, a commander who squanders his forces in dramatic battles of anhilliation at first opportunity is incompetant.

If someone wanted to make an adult style Dungeons & Dragons movie they would be starting off badly to model the characters on Video game personas. Dungeons & Dragons goes one hell of a lot deeper than video games. There has been literally hundreds of D&D novels that could be used as excellent source material. The Clerical Quintet series of books by R.A Salvatorie would make brilliant adult D&D movies. And the characters are extremely well fleshed out and plausable.

Who said adult movies are plausable? If there is no real risk in a movie, it looses its edge. Heroes do die and get mutilated in R.A Salvatorie books.

From a military standpoint, a commander who squanders his forces in dramatic battles of anhilliation at first opportunity is incompetant.[/quote]

The above point is true...but has it any relevance to my posting?

And a D&D purist is anyone who has a long founded love and appreciation of the game. :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:24 pm 

Personally I think it would make more sense to make an AD&D television series (not that it will ever happen) rather than an actual movie.

Even hoping for such a series is more fantasy than the fantasy itself but I think an ongoing AD&D campain would be better suited for a TV series.  The series Lost seems to work.  

I wouldn't mind seeing a television adaptation of something like In Search of the Unknown (with a plot of course).  I can't think of many movies with dungeon exploring other than Moria in LOTR.

But even if they could produce such a show I'm sure they would want to use the 3rd edition  :pukel:  rules with a party of superheroes.  Best to be careful what you wish for.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:01 pm 

ATOM wrote:an adult style Dungeons & Dragons movie

Isn't this a contradiction in terms?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:41 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
Isn't this a contradiction in terms?

No.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:37 pm 

bclarkie wrote:No.

I mean besides "Fear of Girls."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:40 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
I mean besides "Fear of Girls."

So are you here for some other reason than just to bait people or is that it?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:50 pm 

bclarkie wrote:So are you here for some other reason than just to bait people or is that it?

You & I bid on the same auctions, so you know whether your question is valid. But I can't help noticing a resemblance to a previous comment on this thread:

FormCritic wrote:What are you doing here then, sauromatian? I'll have to call all the engineers, officers, executives and professionals I played D&D with and let them know I won't be at this year's party because they are losers. Don't blame everyone else just cause you couldn't get a girlfriend.

Exactly who is baiting who, & why? That sounds like a threat to gang up on someone for no reason at all.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:56 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
Exactly who is baiting who, & why? That sounds like a threat to gang up on someone for no reason at all.

No threat at all.  I will say that the crap you keep posting, insinuating that D&D is "only" for kids and that gamers are all losers who also can't get laid is getting mighty tiresome, mighty quickly.  Thats also not a threat, but if you continue at this pace, people around here are either going to start treating you like a troll or they will flat out ignore you.  Or both....

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
No threat at all.  I will say that the crap you keep posting, insuinating that D&D is "only" for kids and that gamers are all losers who also can't get laid is getting mighty tiresome, mighty quickly.  Thats also not a threat, but if you continue at this pace, people around here are either going to start treating you like a troll or they will flat out ignore you.  Or both....

If he believes this to be true, then what is he doing here? I can't believe someone would join a forum just to poke fun at people. But personally, as a gamer, I have no problem whatever with poking fun at myself and my hobby.

Getting this thread back on topic, there is a Dragonlance movie coming out next month. It's animated, though.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

PreviousNext