Best D&D "Style" Movies
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:51 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:10.) Hawk the Slayer
I love this movie, but really it is pretty bad and doesn't belong on a best of list.  More of a guilty pleasure I guess. I remember looking forever for a copy of this movie (this was before eBay) and now it holds an esteemed place in my meager video collection.

Maybe I will try to come up with my own top 15 list (not right now - must go to bed!)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:16 pm 

Keir wrote:I love this movie, but really it is pretty bad and doesn't belong on a best of list.  More of a guilty pleasure I guess. I remember looking forever for a copy of this movie (this was before eBay) and now it holds an esteemed place in my meager video collection.

Maybe I will try to come up with my own top 15 list (not right now - must go to bed!)

This movie (as I yet to own a copy - it is on my list) has a place in my early D&D days.

The gamemaster had a Heartbow in her campaign that I guess was similar to the one that Hawk had (if I am getting my movie correct).

Plus, doesn't it have Jack Palance in it (playing the bad guy)?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:14 pm 

IttyBitty wrote:
This movie (as I yet to own a copy - it is on my list) has a place in my early D&D days.

The gamemaster had a Heartbow in her campaign that I guess was similar to the one that Hawk had (if I am getting my movie correct).

Plus, doesn't it have Jack Palance in it (playing the bad guy)?

I thought that the Heartbow was from a TV pilot called "Fugitive From the Empire."  

It was a movie-length show meant to kick off a series, but it never got off the ground because the network was unable to find a slot to sell it in.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:27 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
I thought that the Heartbow was from a TV pilot called "Fugitive From the Empire."  

It was a movie-length show meant to kick off a series, but it never got off the ground because the network was unable to find a slot to sell it in.

Your right!

I think all these movies are blending together but now I remember "Fugitive From the Empire" (never saw that one either).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:36 pm 

IttyBitty wrote:Plus, doesn't it have Jack Palance in it (playing the bad guy)?
Yup!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:02 pm 

The Dreamers.

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thedreamers/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309987/

OK, no monsters, dragons or wizards, but it is about three people staying up all night, drinking a lot and talking rubbish (kind of like a lot of games I once played).  Although, sadly no-one I ever played with looked quite like Eva Green.  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:04 pm 

Someone mentioned the Brother's Grimm movie. I have to emphasize this one is very well done. Especially the take on lycanthrophy as well as the use of illusion in the film.

You could basically turn it into a module with little effort, have a lot of fun doing it, and it would work really well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:29 pm 

Rented 13th Warrior the other week, it was good and has been mentioned in this thread.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:22 pm 

I thought that The Chronicles of Riddick had D&D written all over it (necromongers, elementals, clerics etc etc).  Moreso than Pitch Black.  Not surprising, really, given Mr Diesel's love of the dice...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:20 pm 

Kamelion wrote:I thought that The Chronicles of Riddick had D&D written all over it (necromongers, elementals, clerics etc etc).  Moreso than Pitch Black.  Not surprising, really, given Mr Diesel's love of the dice...

And there is a sequel in the works ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:50 pm 

In the boxed set for these two they also did a 38 minute movie to bridge between them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:22 pm 

Kamelion wrote:I thought that The Chronicles of Riddick had D&D written all over it (necromongers, elementals, clerics etc etc).  Moreso than Pitch Black.  Not surprising, really, given Mr Diesel's love of the dice...

Say what you will about Vin Diesel's acting skills (or lack thereof) but The Chronicles of Riddick is definitely one of my top 5 science-fiction-action movies.  As for a sequel, I hadn't heard anything about that yet but I will be looking forward to it if it does happen.

In the boxed set for these two they also did a 38 minute movie to bridge between them.

Wasnt this the animated Dark Fury?  Pretty cool but of course it wasnt nearly long enough.  :)   I have heard that the video game Escape from Butcher Bay has some background story in it as well but I never played it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm 

I'm sorry to say but I always thought the TV series Wizards and Warriors was rather hilarious for a D&D type show. I always thought it funny how the strong man strangles the green slime. Funny  :D

Anyway, for nostalgic purposes:

http://www.wizardsandwarriors.org/

Did you know that it was directed by Bill Bixby?

Also, there are avatars out the wazoo on that site  :D

More info here:

http://www.tv.com/wizards-and-warriors/ ... bs;summary

Does anyone have copies of the series?

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:01 pm 

Volkodav a recent Russian film and soon to be a series.
Hexer, avoid the movie like the plague but the series is great. Elves, dwarves, gnomes and abominations its all there.
Tristan and Isolde.
Berzerker.
Brotherhood of the wolf
Ravenous
Pirates of the Caribbean
Gearge and the dragon
Deathstalker 2-4
Beastmaster 2

So many Japanese films azumi, princess blade etc
So much anime its silly lodoss etc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:07 pm 

Brotherhood of the Wolf

A movie that asks the musical question:

"What if the French were attacked by a monster and it turned out that nobody cared?"

This movie has a nice, creepy beginning...somewhere amidst the kung fu Indians, the dude with one arm who actually has two and the fact that it is all just a lion with a mask...and all has to do with French Revolutionaries and fighting with bone whips....?   :?

When the bone whip came out my best friend turned to me and said, "Did the director of this film just go f**kin' buck wild crazy while he was making it?"   8O

A silly film...and a nice example of what they think of us.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:19 pm 

Just look at the weapons in some of the D&D books though. I think brotherhood of the wolf hits pretty close to the mark.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:25 pm 

lacedaemon wrote:Just look at the weapons in some of the D&D books though. I think brotherhood of the wolf hits pretty close to the mark.

Yes, but in D&D you seldom have those weapons hidden under your shirt, along with your supposedly missing right arm.

Why is the guy pretending to have only one arm?

How is it that all of his relatives did not notice an arm under his clothing during all the years they've been around him?

How did he manage to bring home and hide a lion on his estates?

Since no one sees the lion when it is killing things, why is the lion wearing armor and a mask?

Given all the effort this guy went to try fomenting a revolution, why couldn't he come up with a plan that did not involve using a disguised lion to kill virgins and small children?  I mean...one lion attack aimed at...you know...the king might have been a better idea.

Just asking....

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:51 pm 

Has anyone besides me seen Nightwatch?  I watched it for the first time the other night.  The reviews were extremely positive and the trailer was promising so I decided to get it on Netflix.  I was a bit disappointed in the visuals but I guess I am just spoiled by Hollywood's standards.  When it was made in 2005 it was the most expensive Russian movie ever made but is still considered "low budget" by American standards.  I believe the sequel [/i]Daywatch was released late last year and the last movie Duskwatch releases next year.  You can check out the plot and trailer on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403358/

PreviousNext