Best D&D "Style" Movies
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 712, 3 ... 567
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:02 am 
 

Hero, Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon, Iron Monk -- they all fit the Sean Summers Samurai rules addition rather well (imagine if fighters had spell like abilities just like mages.  Let mages regenerate their spells faster and fighters have a timer of sorts for their abilities and you've got Sean Summers Cathay setting).

Fun list.


Regards,



Stephen

  

User avatar

Active Collector

Posts: 35
Joined: Oct 05, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:25 pm 
 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Stargate
Waterworld
Cutthroat Island
The Mummy Series
The Shadow
Spawn
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
The Brothers Grimm
Van Hellsing

Underworld I&II
Predator
Pitch Black
The Thing
Mimic
The Cave (Excellent Delver movie)
Hellraiser (to a point)
The Fifth Element


I'll go out on a limb and say:

Flash Gordan
Back to the Future
Heavy Metal
Heavy Metal 2000
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Lost Voyage (Bermuda Triangle type horror movie)
Eight Legged Freaks (My 4 year old likes it :) )
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai


 No offense, but aside from the movies I removed from the list, I'm not sure really how any of these are like a "D&D Style" of film. The ones I bolded I can kinda see, but not really ;) (Cutthroat Island?....8O ) And the italicised ones I just don't get the connection :? . Aside from perhaps have the same theme of exploration (as a lot of action oriented films/books and in general, stories, have) I wouldn't think of most of these as D&D-esque. Just my 2 cents.


" I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!  My life is my own"- The Prisoner

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 772
Joined: Feb 21, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2018
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:07 pm 
 

Rhone Ethenkhar wrote:
 No offense, but aside from the movies I removed from the list, I'm not sure really how any of these are like a "D&D Style" of film. The ones I bolded I can kinda see, but not really ;) (Cutthroat Island?....8O ) And the italicised ones I just don't get the connection :? . Aside from perhaps have the same theme of exploration (as a lot of action oriented films/books and in general, stories, have) I wouldn't think of most of these as D&D-esque. Just my 2 cents.


I look at the storyline and imagine it in a D&D style context. Stargate is one of the best storylines ever and making it into a D&D 'Style' adventure would be one of the absolute best D&D modules.

Sometimes you have to look beyond the film setting and see the story.  :wink:


"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 339
Joined: Sep 09, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 26, 2017
Location: 8000 feet below the summit of Pikes Peak, Colorado

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:37 pm 
 

There have been times when I'm reading a book or watching something, not even D&D-related, and find myself slipping into a "D&D mode" of sorts;  that is, I find myself thinking as I'm reading/watching that my mind is converting the story into a D&D format (maybe without the specific dice rolls, stats, etc., but definitely D&D) without thinking about it. Happen to anyone else?

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 772
Joined: Feb 21, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2018
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:49 pm 
 

sleepyCO wrote:There have been times when I'm reading a book or watching something, not even D&D-related, and find myself slipping into a "D&D mode" of sorts;  that is, I find myself thinking as I'm reading/watching that my mind is converting the story into a D&D format (maybe without the specific dice rolls, stats, etc., but definitely D&D) without thinking about it. Happen to anyone else?


Ditto! My whole point for the posts above.


"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 474
Joined: Nov 25, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2021

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:03 pm 
 

Prince of Darkness, with the priests, zombies, ancient sect and artifact, and Gate.

Image

:twisted:

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 772
Joined: Feb 21, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2018
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:13 pm 
 

brute wrote:Prince of Darkness, with the priests, zombies, ancient sect and artifact, and Gate.


Gate definitely!


"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5626
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:41 pm 
 

POD has always been one of my all-time favorites. John Carpenter is amazing.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1026
Joined: Jun 05, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 31, 2021
Location: Huntsville, Ala.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:15 pm 
 

I was hoping that the Sci-Fi Channel's Grendel would actually be a good D&D-style flick.  After all, the poem fits the bill, right?

Once again, the network lived down to its expectations, and that's a pretty low bar.

Unfortunately those are two hours of my life I'll never get back.  Thank God it didn't cause anything to be deleted from my TiVo box.

Of all the movie's terrible elements (and they are legion) the dialog was so utterly awful that it made the rest of the film (I use that term loosely) seem mediocre by comparison.  

I find it difficult to find the right metaphor for the dialog.  It was like breeding the flowery language of an egotistical Civil War General with the ramblings of a dimwitted contemporary teenager.

If you get the chance to watch a rerun, pass it by.

Keith


"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 754
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 31, 2021

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:24 pm 
 

Howdy All,


Always thought Legend was a pretty good one!


Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 772
Joined: Feb 21, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2018
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:50 pm 
 

Check out "300"

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/home.html?s=undefined

It will give you chills of anticipation


"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 414
Joined: Mar 26, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 30, 2007
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:25 pm 
 

brute wrote:Prince of Darkness, with the priests, zombies, ancient sect and artifact, and Gate.



Don't forget the gooey monster... :lol:

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:01 am 
 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Check out "300"

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/home.html?s=undefined

It will give you chills of anticipation


I watched the movie trailers.  

I suggest the title, "300 Guys Fight Naked...For Some Reason."

I especially like the historical accuracy...I distinctly recall crab men at Thermopylae...also that it was night the entire time the battle was going on.

The trailer seems to ask the musical question:

"What if Leonides had led the 300 Spartans to a gay disco instead of Thermopylae and the Persians showed up for a video game audition dressed as their favorite characters?"

Apparently hoplites fighting in ranks involves a lot of leaping around.

I kept expecting Tony Curtis to turn up somehow...and possibly Elvis...he was at Thermopylae, wasn't he?

This is a nice example of what Hollywood thinks of us.

Mark  :?


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4748
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:32 am 
 

Deadlord39 wrote:POD has always been one of my all-time favorites. John Carpenter is amazing.


Yes, where else can you watch a movie where a man is consumed from the inside by bugs and another man is killed with a rusty bicycle frame by none other than Alice Cooper?

Genius.  :D

I wish he had never made Vampires or Ghosts of Mars though.  He must have been on a serious bender when he wrote those two.  Did you see where Rob Zombie is making a remake of the classic Halloween?  Someone oughta shoot that bastard.  You would think that people would learn a lesson after the crappy remakes of Psycho, The Amityville Horror, and The Fog.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 414
Joined: Mar 26, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 30, 2007
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:45 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Yes, where else can you watch a movie where a man is consumed from the inside by bugs and another man is killed with a rusty bicycle frame by none other than Alice Cooper?

Genius.  :D

I wish he had never made Vampires or Ghosts of Mars though.  He must have been on a serious bender when he wrote those two.  Did you see where Rob Zombie is making a remake of the classic Halloween?  Someone oughta shoot that bastard.  You would think that people would learn a lesson after the crappy remakes of Psycho, The Amityville Horror, and The Fog.


Alice Cooper was in the movie... :o  :o  :o

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4748
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:32 pm 
 

IttyBitty wrote:
Alice Cooper was in the movie... :o  :o  :o


Yep...and Rowdy Roddy Piper was in They Live.  Carpenter loves using those "A List" actors in his movies.  :roll:

  


Active Collector

Posts: 11
Joined: Jan 18, 2007
Last Visit: Feb 08, 2007
Location: Bridgewater, MA

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:51 pm 
 

PM-Knight wrote:10.) Hawk the Slayer
I love this movie, but really it is pretty bad and doesn't belong on a best of list.  More of a guilty pleasure I guess. I remember looking forever for a copy of this movie (this was before eBay) and now it holds an esteemed place in my meager video collection.

Maybe I will try to come up with my own top 15 list (not right now - must go to bed!)

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 414
Joined: Mar 26, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 30, 2007
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:16 pm 
 

Keir wrote:I love this movie, but really it is pretty bad and doesn't belong on a best of list.  More of a guilty pleasure I guess. I remember looking forever for a copy of this movie (this was before eBay) and now it holds an esteemed place in my meager video collection.

Maybe I will try to come up with my own top 15 list (not right now - must go to bed!)


This movie (as I yet to own a copy - it is on my list) has a place in my early D&D days.

The gamemaster had a Heartbow in her campaign that I guess was similar to the one that Hawk had (if I am getting my movie correct).

Plus, doesn't it have Jack Palance in it (playing the bad guy)?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:14 pm 
 

IttyBitty wrote:
This movie (as I yet to own a copy - it is on my list) has a place in my early D&D days.

The gamemaster had a Heartbow in her campaign that I guess was similar to the one that Hawk had (if I am getting my movie correct).

Plus, doesn't it have Jack Palance in it (playing the bad guy)?


I thought that the Heartbow was from a TV pilot called "Fugitive From the Empire."  

It was a movie-length show meant to kick off a series, but it never got off the ground because the network was unable to find a slot to sell it in.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 414
Joined: Mar 26, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 30, 2007
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:27 pm 
 

MShipley88 wrote:
I thought that the Heartbow was from a TV pilot called "Fugitive From the Empire."  

It was a movie-length show meant to kick off a series, but it never got off the ground because the network was unable to find a slot to sell it in.


Your right!

I think all these movies are blending together but now I remember "Fugitive From the Empire" (never saw that one either).

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 712, 3 ... 567