Best D&D "Style" Movies
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:17 pm 

So, on to that Viking/Indian movie, Pathfinder.

(Wasn't that the Viking/Indian movie?)

Aside from the stereotypes I saw on the teaser....virtuous Indians who somehow know kung fu...gigantic Vikings in a total rage...evil Europeans being insensitive to everything...how was it?

One thing that interests me is how many depictions I see of Vikings that don't resemble Vikings...even with a huge amount of historically accurate information available.

Take berserkers, for instance.  The implication is that lots and lots of Vikings were always going berserk.  In fact, the berserkers rated special mention because they were unusual...different from the other Vikings.

So...how was the movie, for those of you who have seen it?

Mark 8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 pm 

Hi, I remember hearing about a movie project that was in the works several years ago: a documentary about the history of D&D games called "Dragons in the Basement" (I think there was an article about it that appeared in Dragon Magazine)

Does any one have any info on this movie or what became of it? Thanks

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:43 pm 

Saw the sneak of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising at Dragonflight.

http://www.the-gamers.com/

Easily the best D&D based movie I've ever seen (never saw the first one -- but will have to find it now).  Of course non-gamers wouldn't get 90% of the jokes.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:51 pm 

tdewey10 wrote:Saw the sneak of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising at Dragonflight.

http://www.the-gamers.com/

Easily the best D&D based movie I've ever seen (never saw the first one -- but will have to find it now).  Of course non-gamers wouldn't get 90% of the jokes.

Looks better than the 1st.  There are two movies called The Gamers.  I believe the one on 2002 (not 2003) is the one by the same group.  

The girl is cute ....

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:59 am 

Afrika Corps wrote:Hi, I remember hearing about a movie project that was in the works several years ago: a documentary about the history of D&D games called "Dragons in the Basement" (I think there was an article about it that appeared in Dragon Magazine)

Does any one have any info on this movie or what became of it? Thanks

Last I read about it the movie had not gotten into production...or out of production.

I believe I read about it on Dave Arneson's website.  He was involved in it in some way.

Do a Google search for Blackmoor.  (there is a free pdf download of Blackmoor on the site as well)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:06 am 

Yeah, it's mentioned on his site.  I believe I heard rumours that it was all but finished, but something (don't recall what exactly) was keeping it from being released.

Previous