Best D&D "Style" Movies
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:35 am 

sauromatian wrote:That was not what I said, or even suggested. All I said was that these were distractions from gaming.

Is that so?

Should we analyse what you did say?

I especially like the line about "hanging out with a bunch of losers".  Those were your words.  Not mine and nor anyone elses.

sauromatian wrote:The problem with the D&D movie is that it's too accurate. It's like the experience of sitting through an actual grueling six-hour gaming session. Although the film itself is much shorter than that, the dramatic flair of the actors is such that you really feel like you've spent all day waiting for it to end.

In fact it might even inspire a bit of nostalgia for that time in your past, perhaps ripe with young adulthood, when you decided to abandon gaming for the first time. Was it that special girl, or a favorite rock 'n roll combo, or just the realization that you were hanging out with a bunch of losers?

Whatever the reason, Jeremy Irons' masterful 2000 performance is guaranteed to remind you of that feeling again. There's a whole big wide world out there- surely you must have something better to do.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:01 pm 

improvstone wrote:Should we analyse what you did say?

If you wish. My post did not imply that all gamers are losers, but that if you drift away from the circle of friends you've been gaming with, then you're likely to drop out of gaming for awhile.

bclarkie wrote:I nor anyone else here cares how long you have been gaming or collecting or whatever. We don't.

I was specifically asked why I am here by you & by one other person.

bclarkie wrote:Trying hanging around here for a little while and learning the ropes before spouting off at the mouth.

Hazing is generally considered impolite behavior.

bclarkie wrote:Again I ask you to stop clogging up this thread with this crap.  Start a new thread if you must, or start PMing people.

You are as much a participant in this discussion as I am, & are free to quit at any time. You've already made clear your intentions:

bclarkie wrote:you twit,..f*cking called you out..You want to get the Sea-to-sky-games treatment

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:09 pm 

sauromatian wrote:<clip>...More garbled paranoid nonsense..</clip>

Some people will never learn.  Whatever.  Your on your own my man, just don't say that you weren't warned...

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:45 pm 

Easy, guys, Saruman is entitled to his opinion too. Whether or not it matters is something else entirely.
I do sometimes wonder if newbies get harsh treatment for voicing differing opinions (not STD, he was a hammerhead). We need to keep in mind that there are many other people out there who don't necessarily think like we do. That doesn't make them wrong, and the forum is for voicing opinions after all.
It would be better to cool things off, and not let this heat up like a dogfight that Michael Vick would bet on.

Soooooooo, movies.......
I did like the D&D movie Wrath of the Dragon God. It wasn't exactly old-school style, but it did the trick.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:27 pm 

Sarumatian:

I think you may have honestly mis-understood what I said and thought it was some sort of threat.

I asked if I should call up all my old friends and tell them I won't be at this year's party because they are losers.  There is nothing else there and no implication at all.

There wasn't any threat and I certainly did not mean to imply one.  If you will re-read my posts you will notice that this is my second apology to you about it.

It's true that sometimes we joke about gamer stereotypes.  What you wrote did not sound like a joke, and it hurt.

If you didn't mean it that way, OK.  How about taking my advice about a ceasefire?  If you haven't meant to be a troll then how about simply saying, "OK, guys.  Sorry if I was being trollish.  I didn't mean to."

You will notice that I am not trying to zing you or score points on you.  That should tell you something.

Sorry to everybody else for pursuing this here.  Either way, I'll stop now.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:30 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Sarumatian:

Sorry to everybody else for pursuing this here.  Either way, I'll stop now.

Mark  8)

You have nothing to be sorry about Mark!

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:17 pm 

So, on to that Viking/Indian movie, Pathfinder.

(Wasn't that the Viking/Indian movie?)

Aside from the stereotypes I saw on the teaser....virtuous Indians who somehow know kung fu...gigantic Vikings in a total rage...evil Europeans being insensitive to everything...how was it?

One thing that interests me is how many depictions I see of Vikings that don't resemble Vikings...even with a huge amount of historically accurate information available.

Take berserkers, for instance.  The implication is that lots and lots of Vikings were always going berserk.  In fact, the berserkers rated special mention because they were unusual...different from the other Vikings.

So...how was the movie, for those of you who have seen it?

Mark 8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 pm 

Hi, I remember hearing about a movie project that was in the works several years ago: a documentary about the history of D&D games called "Dragons in the Basement" (I think there was an article about it that appeared in Dragon Magazine)

Does any one have any info on this movie or what became of it? Thanks

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:43 pm 

Saw the sneak of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising at Dragonflight.

http://www.the-gamers.com/

Easily the best D&D based movie I've ever seen (never saw the first one -- but will have to find it now).  Of course non-gamers wouldn't get 90% of the jokes.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:51 pm 

tdewey10 wrote:Saw the sneak of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising at Dragonflight.

http://www.the-gamers.com/

Easily the best D&D based movie I've ever seen (never saw the first one -- but will have to find it now).  Of course non-gamers wouldn't get 90% of the jokes.

Looks better than the 1st.  There are two movies called The Gamers.  I believe the one on 2002 (not 2003) is the one by the same group.  

The girl is cute ....

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:59 am 

Afrika Corps wrote:Hi, I remember hearing about a movie project that was in the works several years ago: a documentary about the history of D&D games called "Dragons in the Basement" (I think there was an article about it that appeared in Dragon Magazine)

Does any one have any info on this movie or what became of it? Thanks

Last I read about it the movie had not gotten into production...or out of production.

I believe I read about it on Dave Arneson's website.  He was involved in it in some way.

Do a Google search for Blackmoor.  (there is a free pdf download of Blackmoor on the site as well)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:06 am 

Yeah, it's mentioned on his site.  I believe I heard rumours that it was all but finished, but something (don't recall what exactly) was keeping it from being released.

PreviousNext