Best D&D "Style" Movies
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:12 pm 

sauromatian wrote: I'm a better writer than you are & I can handle it.

Okay then, if you say so.  Just please feel free to PM me and let me know when it starts okay?

Moving on....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:28 pm 

silver_beetle wrote:Getting this thread back on topic, there is a Dragonlance movie coming out next month. It's animated, though.

I haven't seen any previews or read any blurbs on it, so what's the animation style?  Who wrote the script?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:30 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:I haven't seen any previews or read any blurbs on it, so what's the animation style?  Who wrote the script?

Here's the IMBD page on it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825245/

I had read several months ago that is was supposed to hit theaters next month(September), but looking at its IMDB page(and its Yahoo page for that matter), it doesn't look like thats going to be happening.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:35 pm 

sauromatian wrote:The problem with the D&D movie is that it's too accurate. It's like the experience of sitting through an actual grueling six-hour gaming session. Although the film itself is much shorter than that, the dramatic flair of the actors is such that you really feel like you've spent all day waiting for it to end.

In fact it might even inspire a bit of nostalgia for that time in your past, perhaps ripe with young adulthood, when you decided to abandon gaming for the first time. Was it that special girl, or a favorite rock 'n roll combo, or just the realization that you were hanging out with a bunch of losers?

So what you are suggesting is gaming, rock 'n roll and girls are mutually exclusive?  This wasn't my experience. Maybe this was yours.  I feel sorry for you if it was.

sauromatian wrote:I once played it often enough to know every single 1st edition rule in existence, but don't know if I can return to proper 6-hour sessions. My recent return to interest in these games is because of my son. He's played D&D for a few years but is just getting into the Players Handbook-level of gaming [11 years old]. Besides helping him out with that, I've been returning to the old books I remember from the 70s.

Aren't you worried your son will miss out on girls and rock 'n roll?

Sauromatian, I can clearly see why you have irked a few members of this board.  I am hoping that was not your intention ...

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:40 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Several have mentioned 13th Warrior and I must add my agreement. That movie is Classic D&D throughout and was well acted, well directed, and well written.

How can you miss with a character named:

Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan Ibn Al Abbas Ibn Rashid Ibn Hamad

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:56 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Here's the IMBD page on it:

I had read several months ago that is was supposed to hit theaters next month(September), but looking at its IMBD page(and its Yahoo page for that matter), it doesn't look like thats going to be happening.

Ah, ick.  It looks like another CGI movie.   :x

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:01 pm 

improvstone wrote: I am hoping that was not your intention ...

No it has not been, & I think I'm being held to a double standard. There are many satirical depictions of gaming on this forum which you could have chosen to police. Stuff like Knights of the Dinner Table is some of the very best there is -does it offend you?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:33 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
No it has not been, & I think I'm being held to a double standard. There are many satirical depictions of gaming on this forum which you could have chosen to police. Stuff like Knights of the Dinner Table is some of the very best there is -does it offend you?

Not in the least! Troll boy! You come across in such a rambling fashion no one can really discern what you are trying to say? What point are you trying to put across? Bar disagreeing with everyone here?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:20 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Here's the IMBD page on it:

I had read several months ago that is was supposed to hit theaters next month(September), but looking at its IMDB page(and its Yahoo page for that matter), it doesn't look like thats going to be happening.

Good lord...Keifer Sutherland is doing the voice of Raistlin?  That is just f'ed up.  Every time Raistlin talks all I will hear is Jack Bauer from 24 telling someone to freeze or he will shoot them.  Why the heck cant they just get a bunch of no-names to do the voices?

I guess it could be worse.  Seth Green as Tasslehoff or Andy Dick as Dragon Highlord Verminaard comes to mind.

PDT_Armataz_01_22

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:27 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Why the heck cant they just get a bunch of no-names to do the voices?

Because Hollywood works on the beliefs that using big name stars will help sell the movie.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:31 am 

I can't see where anyone has threatened you, sauromatian...and if you feel that I did then I apologize.

What I did was ask you why you are here, with all of us losers...which is what you called us.

I didn't think it was funny.  I thought it was hurtful...dredging up old high  school stereotypes that turned out to be dead wrong.  If anyone was being a school yard bully it was you.  If you were aiming to hurt, then congratulations...you made me feel bad.

Was that really what you wanted to do?

Some of your posts are actually about collecting or games, which is good.  

Your other posts seem intended to hurt with sarcasm, or to provoke an angry response.

This particular strand does involve some sarcastic comments, but those comments are directed at movies...works of commercial art that are legitimate targets of criticism.

I understand what you seem to be doing.  I did it myself once on a different discussion group where I got angry at a bunch of college professors who seemed to me to be mostly engaged in impressing each other.  I decided to be a troll.

It was fun for a while.  I enjoyed popping their intellectual balloons.  Finally, I realized that I wasn't being funny...I was just being a jerk...so I left them to their discussions and quit bothering them.

If you are having fun, then OK....but you seem to be having it at other people's expense.

Your writing skills seem pretty good, but there is a difference between saying something clever and saying something wise or constructive.  Us losers know that intelligence and wisdom are separate attributes for a reason.

It isn't too late.  You could declare a sarcasm truce and just join in the fun of game collecting.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:10 am 

FormCritic wrote:.  Us losers know that intelligence and wisdom are separate attributes for a reason.

I generally knock off a couple of points of both to build up Constitution - those extra hit points come in handy! (Don't have much use for Charisma either :roll:  :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:08 am 

FormCritic wrote:I can't see where anyone has threatened you

You made a threat that you would tell your friends to join in in on a flame war, & that's what has happened. I was even agreeing with you in my original post- you made critical remarks about the D&D movie, & I made similarly critical remarks. If agreement with you is upsetting, what does it take to get along?

FormCritic wrote:ask you why you are here, with all of us losers...which is what you called us.

This accusation is no more true than the first time you said it; I have not made any comments more satirical than anyone else on this board. On the dinner meeting thread you can be found joking that the Acaeum members would be a bunch of middle-aged bearded guys, while others make fat jokes about the t-shirt sizes which will be required. Exactly why are you privileged to do this while I am not?

FormCritic wrote:I decided to be a troll.

Troll? Now I remember. Ten years ago when Quincey still ran Titan, rec.games.frp.dnd was the main board of interest. Accusations of troll-hood ran fast & thick, exponentially more so than anywhere else.

Its FAQ actually encouraged members to attack each other on this basis, & there was a guy named David Broman who would do it regularly. Someone with a username like 'halitosisdingleberry' bragged that he had gotten another member's internet service cancelled.

I dropped out of that board when 3.0 made it too large to download, but would hate to think that spurious 'troll' labels have become a longstanding tradition.

Last edited by sauromatian on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:26 am 

sauromatian wrote:
Then quit being a bully, & quit ganging up on me with your friends.

I think there is a little bit of paranoia setting in.  No one is ganging up on you.  

You mentioned before you are a good writer.  I believe you.  You are a good writer.  And as a good writer you know exactly what effect your words will have and the response that would ensue.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:30 am 

improvstone wrote:
Because Hollywood works on the beliefs that using big name stars will help sell the movie.  :wink:

Exactly. People will see it because they like Kiefer Sutherland. The audience for Dragonlance is too small to support a feature film on its own without star power.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:48 am 

I wonder how much of the DL movie is real animation, or that cheap (actually, it costs a lot but that's not what I mean) CG crapola they're pushing as "modern."

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:56 am 

sauromatian wrote:
Troll? Now I remember. Ten years ago when Quincey still ran Titan, rec.games.frp.dnd was the main board of interest. Accusations of troll-hood ran fast & thick, exponentially more so than anywhere else.

Its FAQ actually encouraged members to attack each other on this basis, & there was a guy named David Broman who would do it regularly. Someone with a username like 'halitosisdingleberry' bragged that he had gotten another member's internet service cancelled.

I dropped out of that board when 3.0 made it too large to download, but would hate to think that spurious 'troll' labels have become a longstanding tradition.

You know, I have been trying really hard to be polite, but you are making it exceedingly difficult.  First off and foremost, how about not acting like you have been a member of this board for something more than the 3 weeks that you really have.

Secondly and more importantly you twit, Mark is without a doubt the most even tempered poster on this board.  He f*cking called you out for acting like an asshat, so something must be wrong.

You want to get the Sea-to-sky-games treatment by the board, then by all means continue, but if not I suggest you take you supposed great writing skills and apply them to something other than your paranoid delusions and elitist remarks about how gamers are all losers and can't get laid.  Either way, quit clogging up this thread with all this crap, start a new one if you must and write whatever you want, just don't expect a lot of participation from anyone else.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:02 am 

bclarkie wrote:
You know, I have been trying really hard to be polite....

Morning Brian ....   8)

PreviousNext