Best D&D "Style" Movies
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:15 pm 

If this has already been done, then I apologize, but I performed a few searches and did not see any topics about a "Best of" movie list. The idea was prompted by reading about the best modules and some topics ripping on the "movie that must not be named" (No, it's not a Cuthulu movie, but fans of Cuthulu 'might' enjoy a movie called Cast a Deadly Spell with David Warner, Fred Ward, and Clancy Brown).

I propose a list of fifteen (15) movies that are live-action (not animation or anime) within a fantasy (not modern) or historical setting. Any movies that have multiple versions (eg. The Lord of the Rings) count as one movie. The idea is for these movies to have some elements, not great acting or SFX, that provide creative elements that could be incorporated into a campaign or game setting. The lists should be in order, so that I can score each one accordingly (1st place gets 15pts, etc.) I will digest the data and regurgitate :mrgreen: the results on New Year's Day . . . maybe some movie lists will give us a chance to watch something "new" while recovering from New Year's Eve  :wink:

Here is a list that I put together, but I feel as though I am missing some:
1.) The LoTR Trilogy
2.) Golden Voyage of Sinbad
3.) Conan Series (incl. Red Sonja, for better or worse :P )
4.) Legend
5.) Jason & the Argonauts
6.) Dragonslayer
7.) The Odyssey
8.) Ladyhawk
9.) Excalibur
10.) Hawk the Slayer
11.) Dragonheart
12.) Pirates of the Caribbean (borderline modern & I love the Undead Pirates)
13.) Kull: The Conqueror
14.) Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
15.) Krull (teleporting fortress, some magic, Emerald Wizard, but no Toto)

Hopefully this is something that people might enjoy and find to be a fun outlet. If you have any questions about these movies, like Hawk the Slayer  :wink: , please email me. Likewise, someone else's list might prompt me to ask a question or two. I excluded Narnia, which I would vote for, and the Harry Potter series, as they start in modern times and end up in a fantasy setting. In addition, I have not seen Eragon yet, so I can not rank it.

Let's have some fun  :)

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:19 am 

well, the list is pretty fine but dont forget: Willow, Highlander (the first only!!! the remaining two are rubbish) and all the movies based on shakespeare's plays (macbeth, midsummer night's dream, ect)...

...prb i forgot other movies, but these are those that i remeber at the moment!

ciaooo

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:06 pm 

I know some of these are really cheesy but I've always enjoyed

Sword and the Sorcerer
BeastMaster (first one only)
DeathStalker (really awful B flick)

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:56 am 

Hey AIA & Simrion,

Thanks for responding, as I was hoping to get some more people posting about experiencing D&D vicariously through the movies.

I totally forgot about Willow, my bad, and Beast Master (1st one) deserve to be on the list. I had thought about Sword & Sorcerer, but all I remember was the Texas actor and a tri-blade sword that could shoot two of the blades, plus some nice looking ladies. I did not remember any good material to use for a game or campaign. As for Death Stalker, there were three (?) of those movies, but one of them was actually pretty good, aside from the T&A (I believe one even had Tanya Roberts :wink: in it) . . . of course my wife would never let me rent something like that :(

I will post a revised list and call it the definitive list of D&D Movies and see if that solicits some more responses.

Thank you both,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:40 am 

How about the D&D movies  :lol:  :lol:

Classics in every way :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:34 am 

You might insert...

Clash of the Titans
Narnia

Some off beat additions...

Army of Darkness
Ivanhoe

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:52 am 

Bram Stokers Dracula perhaps

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:43 pm 

simrion wrote:I know some of these are really cheesy but I've always enjoyed

Sword and the Sorcerer
BeastMaster (first one only)
DeathStalker (really awful B flick)

cheesy is good... :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:43 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Bram Stokers Dracula perhaps

Which version (or the original book) :?:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:52 pm 

The 13th Warrior.  Renamed from the book Eaters of the Dead by Chrichton.

Labyrinth

The never to be considered list is short:

Dragonslayer

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:54 pm 

bbarsh wrote:
The never to be considered list is short:

Dragonslayer

Blasphemy I say, Dragonslayer rules!!!   :wink:

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:25 pm 

This is more like it . . . some good feedback and people with better memories than mine :oops:

Dragonslayer is on the list at #6, which was a great D&D style movie, even though it had the 'whiney' Peter MacNicol in it. Unfortunately, the actress who played Valerian (Caitlin Clarke) passed away in 2004 at 52 years of age :cry:

Of the other movies mentioned:
13th Warrior is a good one (classic re-telling of a portion of the Beowulf saga)
Labyrinth - I have never seen, but my friend Tony (D&D artist) said it was great, but he always loved those muppets, so should I include DARK CRYSTAL :? ???
Clash of the Titans was a good one, which I should have included with the other Greek stories done by Harryhausen 8)
Narnia was a great movie, but I was trying to aviod any movies that have a foundation in reality, like the Harry Potter movies. They start with the real world and then end up in fantasy.
Army of Darkness has some features that were pretty cool & funny, maybe we should give it an honorable mention.
Invahoe is a classic film with some great acting, but there are several other films like this one: The Adventures of Sir Galahad (1949), The Black Knight (1954), Camelot (1967), etc.
Dracula - Both the 1979 & 1992 versions should be here for fans of Ravenloft :twisted:
Sword of the Valiant should be on this list as well. Not the best effects or acting, but a good story (quest) with Sean Connery as the Green Knight 8)
Time Bandits - this is a classic with all kinds of settings and a few potential high-level (Planescape or Spelljammer) ideas.

I look forward to those of you who can think up more that have not been covered here. I will re-do a comprehensive list for us over the weekend.

Thank you all & have a safe & Happy New Year,

[email protected]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:08 pm 

Don't forget:

The Princess Bride

Hello!  My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die!

Oh yeah . . .  The Neverending Story.  

And an awesome animated movie:  The Secret of Nimh.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:13 pm 

WARNING:  PLOT SPOILERS FOR THE MOVIE, ERAGON.

WARNING:  PLOT SPOILERS FOR THE MOVIE, ERAGON.

Today I took my daughter to a matinee showing of Eragon.

First off...it is a reasonably good fantasy film.  There are pretty decent special effects, very little political correctness and an acceptable story.

Second...you are unlikely to see a better remake of Star Wars.  First to last, Eragon IS Star Wars.  It is the same movie told in a slightly different order, including the same cast of charcters.

All of the dragonriders (Jedi) got wiped out by one evil dragonrider (Sith) who betrays his fellows and siezes ultimate power using an army of storm troopers and a Darth Vader-esque wizard minion.

The story begins with Princess Aria (Leia Organa) keeping a crucial item from a Darth Vader wizard by sending it away just before she is captured (down to the planet?) to a boy named Eragon (Luke Skywalker) who wonders who his true parents were.

The Darth Vader wizard works for an evil king (Palpatine?) who has usurped power...he is the last of the Jedi (I mean, dragonriders).

Eragon lives with his uncle (not joking) and his cousin (Biggs) who leaves early in the film to join the rebellion.  

Eragon finds the crucial item, which causes his uncle to be murdered (by evil troopers looking for him) and puts him in contact with Jeremy Irons' character, who might as well be named Obi Wan Kenobi.  (My daughter tells me that in the book Eragon lived with both his uncle and his aunt...who also gets killed...seriously.)

The Obi Wan character has a sword from the old wars that he gives to Eragon.  He trains Eragon (Luke) to use a sword and how to harness his magic powers.  (Sound familiar?)

Eragon is troubled by visions (sound familiar?) and is deceived by them into trying to rescue the princess (seriously) despite being warned that to risk himself in this endeavor would ruin everything.

"That boy is our last hope."
"No, there is another."

Jeremy Irons (Obi Wan) gets killed by the Darth Vader wizard as Eragon (Luke) rescues Aria (Leia) (yes...it happens).

But Eragon's escape simply leads the Empire (I mean, the king's forces...) straight to a rebel stronghold, which the Darth Vader wizard brings overwhelming forces to destroy.  (I'm not making this up.)

Meanwhile a free-wheeling rogue joins up (Han Solo) and Eragon (Luke) is not sure he can trust him.

Eragon (Luke) battles the Darth Vader wizard's evil (Deathstar) giant bat IN A CANYON and the Empire's forces are frustrated.

The Darth Vader wizard can only be killed by a deathblow struck in a specific spot.  Good thing Eragon (Luke) used to bullseye womp rats back home in Beggar's Canyon!

Toss in a scene where an evil minion is magically killed for failure and his second in command gulps at having to replace him (seriously!).

Darken in the face paint on the Darth Vader wizard and I suspect he will look exactly like Darth Maul.

The movie ends with the rebels cheering Eragon (Luke) and Aria (Leia) giving Eragon (Luke) a provacative smile.

The dragon functions in the story exactly as Eragon's (Luke's) X-Wing fighter...with a bit of Millenium Falcon tossed in.

I kept expecting Jeremy Irons (Obi Wan) to appear as a ghost and give Eragon advice.  By mid-movie, Eragon is actually wearing a Jedi robe as he sneaks into the badguy's fortress (I'm not making this up).

The only thing missing was "Eragon, I am your father," or possibly advice dispensed in passive voice, such as, "Always in motion is the future."

Toss in a Wookie and two droids and you've got Star Wars all the way.

Is it any surprise to read the credits and discover that George Lucas' company did all of the special effects for the film.

OH...and the movie was shot in Slovakia, where (if the film credits are a guide) 9/10ths of the males are named Lazlo.

This is not to say that Eragon was a bad movie.  It was Star Wars played in a fantasy setting just as Star Wars itself was a fantasy film played in a science fiction setting.

It was worth $4.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:18 am 

Here is one for the list:
Reign of Fire

Dragon slaying to the max!

or humanoid slaying to the max :D

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:36 am 

Despite all of its non-sensical features, I like Reign of Fire.

But then, I also liked Dragonslayer.

Interesting that Dungeons and Dragons does not even qualify as a D&D movie in the minds of D&D players.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:29 am 

Biggs was Luke's friend in Star Wars................. he joined the rebellion as well. He was the last one to die in the movie, blown up in the last trench run by Vader.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:46 pm 

May I?

Hawk the Slayer, Ator the Eagle, Gor...ow, ow hey stop throwing stuff at me!  Ow!  That troll mini hurt!

:)

Okay, all kidding aside, Dragonslayer, and (strangely enough) Big Trouble in Little China are a couple of good ones.

Next