Packaging Tips
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:48 am 

I thought that maybe some Acaeum members (those that sell items particularily) could share their packaging methods in this thread.  Maybe, just maybe, some industrious new seller might learn something.  The last straw for me came when a very nice copy of M1 Into the Malestorm I won came water damaged/creased/rolled/spindled because the seller used only paper thin envelopes to send it in.

Here's my method and envelope mailing typically costs me .30 to .35 in supplies:

1.  All modules/books are bagged and the bag taped shut.
2.  I purchase 48 x 96 inch sheets of corrugated cardboard pads and cut them down to 9 x 12 inch sections (slightly larger than most modules/books).  Or just cut up some old boxes in the garage.
3.  For envelope shipping I simply sandwich the modules/books between 2 pieces of cardboard and tape all 4 ends.  Depending on book thickness I can usually get 3-5 modules into the cardboard package and still have it fit the envelope.
4.  I use standard 10 x 13 mailing envelopes.
5.  I do have to modify the size of the cardboard to fit Priority Mail flat-rate envelopes.

:idea: I've been known to offer to mail my own packing supplies to the seller to ensure the item is packaged safely.

The end result is a package that is fairly rigid and difficult to bend.  Unless the postal carrier uses super-human efforts he/she cannot force the package into a mailbox.  Plastic or mylar comic bags are improtant to help resist moisture damage.

In my opinion, bubble-mailers are a waste of money and they don't protect softcover modules from bends and need to be re-inforced.  Priority mail flat-rate envelopes are easily bent by themselves.

For large orders consider breaking up the merchandise into 2 smaller boxes and strap or tape the boxes together so you are shipping only 1 package.  Ideally boxes should weigh no more than 10-15 lbs.  Large, heavy boxes are typically dropped on conveyer belts by mail sorters.  Packages that contain box sets and books/modules should be packed with the box sets on or near the top to prevent crushing.

Any comments/ideas?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:26 am 

I have what I believe is the best packing system possible. I have my wife do it. By the time she's done, it can survive a nuclear strike.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:32 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I have what I believe is the best packing system possible. I have my wife do it. By the time she's done, it can survive a nuclear strike.

What does that make your shipping costs for media mail? $4.95? $5.95? + half for every auction combined onto that? (You do give your wife $1 for each package right?) :lol:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:37 pm 

She actually scavenges a lot of materials. She gets a few boxes from the liquor store to tear up and use as backing with Prio envelopes, and I bring peanuts from work when she needs them.
I don't do the "1/2 of each extra auction" thing. She packs all the items, gives me a weight, I look up the cost, and that is what I charge. If she has to use a padded envelope or something, that might get added on, but I've always been put off by the handleme fee that some people charge. Handling fees are for businesses who pay employees to pack and ship.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:30 pm 

I had a guy tack on a $1 charge the other day...hidden in the fine print at the bottom of the listing...for bubble wrap.

What he meant was a bubble wrap envelope that did exactly nothing to protect the publication inside.  He charged a buck for a special envelope, but could not be bothered to put a piece of cardboard in with it.

One thing that worries me is when a package is bound and taped and bound and taped so well that I have to risk damage to the contents just to get it opened.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:25 pm 

One thing that worries me is when a package is bound and taped and bound and taped so well that I have to risk damage to the contents just to get it opened.

Now that's the truth :!:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:55 am 

I confess, I'm an overtaper.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:41 am 

The first time you slip and jab a pair of scissors into your new book...aaargh!   :x

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."