Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 53 of 111123 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:40 am 

Pipswich wrote:I waited to post until it arrived, of course.

I don't understand...what was the worry on this? You were the only one bidding, right? :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:43 am 

It was pointed out to me a couple years ago, that piece, on Ebay. I'm unsure what the price was (then) and if it had been re-listed since that time until now.
It's problematic "investment wise" as the artist is indeed popular but he's not a notable TSR artist.
  It's similar to getting a Larry Elmore "Popular Mechanics" cover (as an example). It would be a hard sell to his typical collectors (our crowd) and then it would be an oddity as far as the collectors of those kinds of covers. You really have to buy those types of items out of love for the art cause you will not likely recoup the $$$ if you were to resell.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:58 am 

Hardly relevant as its not for sale. :lol:    And those who can accurately predict future values.... should focus on more lucrative fields.  I wasn't collecting this material two years ago...  so I have no idea what was for sale back then.  I am glad I got a shot at it now and so I pulled the trigger quickly.  :D

But...  :idea:  I do expect there will be people collecting in a couple of years who haven't started yet!  And, like the rest of us, they will decide for themselves what they want to collect and are willing to pay for things.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:49 am 

misterspock wrote:I don't understand...what was the worry on this? You were the only one bidding, right? :?

The worry is that something could happen either on the seller's end or during shipping.  It wouldn't be the first time a seller received an offer after the auction from a 3rd party or a losing bidder, then the item "went missing" or was lost during shipping.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:16 pm 

Didn't that happen with a $200 Pharaoh a few years ago, or did the seller deliver?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:18 pm 

bombadil wrote:Didn't that happen with a $200 Pharaoh a few years ago, or did the seller deliver?

I've had it happen a couple times for some small press stuff that went cheap but I think it did happen with that Paraoh as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:52 pm 

I'm pretty sure it was a $100 dollar Pharaoh...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:39 pm 

Pipswich wrote:Hardly relevant as its not for sale. :lol:    And those who can accurately predict future values.... should focus on more lucrative fields.  I wasn't collecting this material two years ago...  so I have no idea what was for sale back then.  I am glad I got a shot at it now and so I pulled the trigger quickly.  :D

But...  :idea:  I do expect there will be people collecting in a couple of years who haven't started yet!  And, like the rest of us, they will decide for themselves what they want to collect and are willing to pay for things.

Sounds like you scored BIG time here. What do you think is a more accurate value on this find?

And what happened with the seller? Did he mention something to make you think he might renege on you? I could almost see a reality show here, with this tense drama as you're waiting by the door for this rare item to show up.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 pm 

I have no idea if it is a BIG score in terms of value.  The market appears to be so small that speculating would be extremely risky.  Especially short term speculating... as Tharizdun notes and he has more experience than I have in this field.  However, I do know that in small markets its easy to think "no one will pay that" and then end up regretting not buying something that never comes along.  For me.... I wasn't willing to live with regrets for this one.  

The seller didn't say anything in particular to cause concern.  But, I have read the same stories here that were quickly brought up again and simply try to exercise reasonable self preservation, lol.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:38 pm 

It's really hard to accurately value unique stuff. I think that nobody is really good in this area except that everyone wants to get a deal buying and make a killing selling :wink: It's a very ambiguous thing when you try and think about "real value".

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:38 am 

Pipswich wrote:I have no idea if it is a BIG score in terms of value.  The market appears to be so small that speculating would be extremely risky.  Especially short term speculating... as Tharizdun notes and he has more experience than I have in this field.  However, I do know that in small markets its easy to think "no one will pay that" and then end up regretting not buying something that never comes along.  For me.... I wasn't willing to live with regrets for this one.  

The seller didn't say anything in particular to cause concern.  But, I have read the same stories here that were quickly brought up again and simply try to exercise reasonable self preservation, lol.

:) Come on now...don't be bashful!  :lol:  That's what this particular thread is for --- show off and tell!  :cheers: You're going to have to post some photos of the painting, by the way.

But you have to tell us -- and I just sense something here, call it a Vulcan Spidey Sense if you will  :alien:  :spiderman: -- something MUST have happened to make you think that another buyer was going to make a play for it behind your back.  I mean, you don't get this same nagging feeling on every Ebay purchase you make, do you?

Come on, we want the gossip here ...did you piss off another seller?  :) Do you have a heated rivalry with some other ebayer? I mean, are there THAT many art buyers out there who collect D&D works that would attempt a +4  backstab on another D&D collector?!?!! :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:09 am 

No gossip, no drama.  No more than routine caution that people reading these forums a year might decide prudent.  But, mainly, I delayed long enough to make sure the purchase would not lead to a cache of other d&d material that I might want to purchase.  By the time my questions were resolved the painting arrived.  Sorta simple, really.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:30 am 

A wise move IMO.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:05 am 

Bummer. I was expecting a good juicy story ...

So what other art gems have you besides this painting? You mentioned you have some other finds?

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:22 pm 

Not sure if this qualifies as a "find", since I've been staring at it through the cybernetic shop window for a while now, but I finally broke down and purchased this Image from NKG. My first acquisition rarer than a DDG w/ Cthulhu, so I'm fairly excited :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:58 pm 

Nice snag... I wish had the dough to grab it.

I still need one of those.

I also still need the 2nd and 3rd Dungeon geos

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:55 pm 

$2.50 plus tax.

Some shelf wear... no rust. Nice, crisp, white pages.

Did I score?

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:21 pm 

TheMilford wrote:Did I score?

Some day someone will ask that of a $2.50 purchase and the answer will be "no". Until then... ;)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 53 of 111123 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 109110111