Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 44 of 111123 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:53 am 

Wow....that's just an amazing find!  I really need to make a point to go looking for stuff in out of the way book and comic book stores when I go on vacation.  I'd probably piss myself if I ever found a woodgrain in a place like that.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:55 am 

That's a great find!  I firmly believe there is still a ton of good stuff hiding in small bookstores etc.  I wish I could get to more of them these days too :)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:36 am 

WOWSERS!  8O

We are very happy for you and thank for sharing that wonderful find!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:37 am 

8O
Nice to see that there are still treasures to be found in used book stores in Canada.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:41 am 

Damn Canucks!!!!!

Great find dude....everyone deserves at least one during their collecting lifetime.

Now, don't go expecting to find a Tsojancth next time you are trundling about...!  :D

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:53 am 

Amazing!  Congrats on what's gotta be the find of the year! :salut:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 am 

davidc wrote:Wasn't it just the Penthouse letters that started with 'I never thought this would happen to me..."

I just want to go on record stating that apparently I have rare-hunting superpowers.  Hopefully davidc won't mind, but in a private message to him months ago:

deimos3428 wrote:If you're ever heading to Belleville, let me know...I just "smell" something wonderful about that town, but I haven't found time to look into it.  Right demographics, right size...probably has a nice little old bookstore somewhere with a Fazzle or something. :lol:

And he broke my record, too! My tsojconth cost almost eight times as much.   :lol:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:55 am 

Holy Balls! That's got to be the deal of the year hands down!! Congrats!!  :cheers:

Eulaliaaa!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:56 am 

You need to come to KS sometime soon, Deimos:  I'll even pay you a finders fee to put your olfactory powers to good use! :D :D

And congratulations to davidc for his wonderful find!!---your perseverance was clearly key in finding the module, after slogging through dog-eared, coverless Dragons, and such :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:00 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:If you're ever heading to Belleville, let me know..

Belleville was on my list of places to check out too but I hadn't managed to get much East past Oshawa in Ontario.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:12 pm 

grodog wrote:You need to come to KS sometime soon, Deimos:  I'll even pay you a finders fee to put your olfactory powers to good use! :D :D

Green Dragon Books in Hutchinson!  Go!  Go now!

Just kidding.  :lol:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:28 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0359663569

I've been keeping my eye out for a reasonably priced copy since playing in Tim Kask's game at the North Texas con.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:48 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

I've been keeping my eye out for a reasonably priced copy since playing in Tim Kask's game at the North Texas con.

Wow! Good price!

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:42 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

Nice one.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:04 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

Nice grab...a little shocked...ok...a lot shocked that you got it for under $50 shipped!  8O

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:13 pm 

GreyM wrote:

Nice grab...a little shocked...ok...a lot shocked that you got it for under $50 shipped!  8O

Not in the same universe as finding a tournament module for $2.50 but both go to show that there are still good (or amazingly fantastic) finds to be had out there, even on ebay.

Probably because of the economy there is a bit of a glut of rpg material on ebay, though most of them are buried in the game store posts. There have been some fantastic deals in the last two weeks (a good many I missed do to work, its finals time for my colleges summer session I).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Wow - that's a great and lucky day!

Actually, that's so good that I might feel a little bad about it.  If it's a store you actually like, go back soon and see if they have any other comics or whatever that you'd be interested in - spend a few more bucks there.

I'm not saying you should have revealed anything - a seller should research an item before assigning a price.  But they did miss a huge opportunity, and spending another $50 there won't really hurt you.

Besides, it's self serving; if these little stores close, this sort of stuff will all move to ebay.  And I don't think you'd get it for $5 in an open auction.   :wink:

Oh, I think I'll visit the store every time I'm in town... heck I was back there three times last night before I even woke up :)

(I will spend my money there again - promise!)

It's actually in pretty nice shape given that I suspect it's spent 30 years being treated as nothing special... there's a bit of a bump in the top-left corner, and the magic-user character sheet has been filled out (lightly, and in pencil!).  I was mostly worried that it had missing pages - the pages were all out-of-order and the numbering is kinda odd:  1-38, then 1 to 5a/b, so I was concerned (but not really worried :) ) but I count 24 sheets so I guess all is good :)

I've told the story once, ok, ten times today, and I'm glad to have been  able to share it with y'all.  Actually, the hairest most heart-stopping moment was after I paid, and I was headed for the door:  I heard "Wait..."  I though 'uh oh... am I a thief?  am I caught? does he know what this is?  I paid - it's mine, mine, mine...'  Then the clerk hollered 'don't you want a bag'... I'm such a polite Canadian, I actually turned around to say no thanks before the door closed.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.  I realize that a year-and-a-bit into this hobby, I've probably already peaked.  And... my friend Mars still has stuff way rarer than this...

(I could probably post a better image if anyone's interested...)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:29 pm 

davidc wrote:And... my friend Mars still has stuff way rarer than this..

I may have a few things that are rarer but nothing that is as "valuable" on the market.  It truly is one of the best finds of the modern era (aka the Ebay era).  Congrats again!

My first years in the hobby had some great finds too - maybe it is when you are the hungriest as a collector.  Now I have been lolled into slow and steady collecting ;)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 44 of 111123 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 109110111