Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 5 of 11112, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:02 pm 

NetRodent wrote:
I don't have it in front of me at the moment but I'm 99% sure the map doesn't have staple holes in it.  I'll check when I get home.

Heh, thats what I get for not reading all of Allan's post.  :oops:   I will check mine as well, but I have to dig it out. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:12 pm 

Alright, I just dug out my copy and now I now remember why I was a bit disappointed with mine....the last page of the booklet which is a perforated tear out page has been removed from my booklet. It is included but it has been detached. :x  

After looking at my copy, I found that I actually have 2 of those maps sheets, not just one(perhaps the second one came from a second copy the previous owner had or perhaps when TSR was assembling the booklet someone inadvertantly put a second map in by mistake). :?  I am almost 100% positive that they are both originals  and neither one of them have staple holes in them, so they were most certainly inserted after the fact and they were not bound into the book. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:55 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
NetRodent wrote:I picked this up this 1st print Boot Hill from the seller today.  The seller bought it back in the 70's and never used it.  Its in perfect condition and has the extra map sheet.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Very nice!!

*nodnods* Yep, nice one NR. Seems well worth that extra lil' push, there, now... :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:53 am 

I just checked and the map does not have staple holes in it.  I don't see any sign that the map was attached to the booklet in any way.  It looks like it was just folded in half and tucked inside the cover, which makes me wonder how the map stayed with the booklet in a retail setting.  Could it have been sold in some sort of sleeve or envelope?  

The tear-out tables at the back are still attached.

Its good to see that Faro has returned, if only temporarily.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:00 pm 

Nice win, David, especially at that price.  I was wondering whether anyone would notice it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0078896636

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:02 pm 

And a great one for Brian, too.  Nice!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0077521333

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:21 pm 

bombadil wrote:Nice win, David, especially at that price.  I was wondering whether anyone would notice it:

I didn't bother bidding, given that 1st GHs were going for $50-ish not that long ago, and I'm still hopeful that I'll find one on the cheap :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:11 pm 

Kamelion wrote:The business card that's shown in the picture isn't from Wallflower Productions (theirs was included, but not shown).  Instead, it appears to be from the shop where the set was originall bought - a place called Brookhurst Hobbies on Brookhurst Way in Garden Grove CA.  It's really cute ("Imported Model Products From Around The World").  The box even had Brookhurst Hobbies' $5.00 price sticker in it (long since become non-adhesive).  Talk about complete, heh heh.

Looks like they are still around in Garden Grove, CA:
http://brookhursthobbies.com/

!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:32 pm 

Well, its been awhile since I posted anything in this thread, so I figured what the hell.  this was a one a long time waiting and considering that the last that I saw sold by Monte & Sue Cook went for over $500, I was quite happy to get this at this price:

A few other nice SW module pick ups for me here:

And then the granddaddy that I alluded to late last week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Now here is the really really good part.  I received this in the mail today and a couple of things happened that just made this an even better buy than I thought it was.  First off, the seller in the ad claimed that the original staples were removed from the booklets and were replced.  After asking the seller about this he ended up getting back to me letting me know that this was not in fact the case.  The previous owner from whom he was selling this on behalf of did remove the staples however he did not replace them with new ones, he just put the old ones back in. Now finding that out I was very happy, but the news just got a whole hell of a lot better today when I got this in the mail.  There is something else about this listing that was entirely wrong.  This listing indicates that this set was a second printing set, which is flat out wrong.  This set is actually a First Print Set. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

Granted the interior of the pages are abit damaged from the staples being removed and replaced and alos appaears that the previous owner did some other fixing by using a couple of extremely small pieces of scotch tape to help fasten the pages to the staples and the box top hasis split along all four corners, but everything else is actually pretty nice.  Much nicer that the set I currently own.  Hmm, 2 first print sets means one should be up for sale shortly....

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:45 pm 

*points you back to my PM*

You'd've been doing the seller a *big* favor by just telling them to lob it back on eBay...

I'd strongly advise against just throwing it back on eBay as-is. If you need me to explain why, let me know. ;)

Can't believe you were going to ditch that 'coz of the staples. :)

=>  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:45 pm 

Bri

i think you duplicated one of the listings at the end there chummer....the I10 shows twice..

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:47 pm 

faro wrote:*points you back to my PM*

Can't believe you were going to ditch that 'coz of the staples. :)

=>  

Ahh, it all makes sense now.  I was scratching my head wondering why and now I know. You have a PM BTW D.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:51 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Ahh, it all makes sense now.  I was scratching my head wondering why and now I know. You have a PM BTW D.

Already replied.

Even if the books had been 2nd print, the box would've fetched more than that (horizontal grain).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:09 pm 

Wow, really nice win, Brian!  (The auction doesn't show up in your post, though.  The link is in David's reply).  

Great one!

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:33 pm 

bombadil wrote:Wow, really nice win, Brian!  (The auction doesn't show up in your post, though.  The link is in David's reply).  

Great one!

Thanks! I am quite pleased right now. :D  After just finding somethings out about this particular sale though, it has kind of taken a bit of the luster off of it as it seems that "my" lucky find has quite a bit of blood on it (through no fault of my own and I wan't even aware of it until today), but I am still pretty happy overall.

*link is fixed too*

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:36 pm 

I think I know what you're referring to.

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:19 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Thanks! I am quite pleased right now. :D  After just finding somethings out about this particular sale though, it has kind of taken a bit of the luster off of it as it seems that "my" lucky find has quite a bit of blood on it (through no fault of my own and I wan't even aware of it until today), but I am still pretty happy overall.

*link is fixed too*

Well done Brian!  :wink:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:50 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Thanks! I am quite pleased right now. :D  After just finding somethings out about this particular sale though, it has kind of taken a bit of the luster off of it as it seems that "my" lucky find has quite a bit of blood on it (through no fault of my own and I wan't even aware of it until today), but I am still pretty happy overall.

That's a bummer:  taking the lustre off of such a nice find is rather disappointing, all-around :(

If you find, however, that the guilt/angst/distress is too much to bear, please let me know and I'll be happy to try to help assuage your conscience by taking such a tainted item off of your hands :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 5 of 11112, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 109110111