Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 34 of 111123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:45 am 

Nice one, Mark.  Was that an ebay find, or something off-line?

Oh, and for some reason I'm thinking they were maroon-ish.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:38 pm 

bombadil wrote:Nice one, Mark.  Was that an ebay find, or something off-line?

This is part of one of my top 5 finds.  I ended up buying a complete set of Strategic Review and Dragon 1-6 for $100 from abebooks.  This must have been 5+ years ago now (and is probably somewhere in the past fun find threads) but I will retell it since it's still a good fun find story.  

They were listed as being "bound in a book" and at the time I hadn't spent $100 in one lump on RPG stuff so it seemed like a lot of money.  I figured "bound in a book" meant spines chopped off and glued along the spine into a cover.  With the price of Dragon #1 being $250+ at the time I figured this might be the best chance I had of ever getting one and Strategic Review as well - even if they were bound in a book.  So after a day or two of mulling it over I placed the order, then the next day had buyer's remorse and canceled the order.  Then a couple days later, I repurchased them.  When they arrived, "bound in a book" actually meant they were stored in a binder that pinched at the spines and during shipping most had shaken loose.  Each issue came out without any damage and the binder protected them from any damage over the years so most of the issues are close to NM.

As part of the package there was this note and flyer pack from the time where Strategic Review was switching to The Dragon:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/flyers/flyers.html

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:18 pm 

! everyone loves cake!

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Last edited by Pipswich on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:15 pm 

Mars wrote:
As part of the package there was this note and flyer pack from the time where Strategic Review was switching to The Dragon:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/flyers/flyers.html

Thanks for posting that.  That's cool to look through.

Mike.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:32 pm 

Pipswich wrote:Hey, not a great find, but a Mint First Print SW FR11 at the Flea this AM for a buck makes me smile.  And I didn't have that one!

Anything for a dollar is a fun find.  :)

I drove to Cosmic Comics in Grand Prairie, Texas, today.  I am now much closer to completing my Spelljammer set.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:59 pm 

There are a few Dragon Magazine advertisement sheets. I would guess that it didn't originally arrive in the white box.

Probably you're right... I was interested because it was a single page, folded over, and printed to be readable like an overleaf, that is, it fit the box like the reference sheets... and I hadn't seen one before.

Unless the group minds, what I will do is attach an image of the sheet and ask for feedback just in case it looks familiar.
image to coming soon..
Thanks,
David

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:25 pm 

I think I might have finally found something worthwhile...

Brotherhood of the Bolt. Doesn't this usually sell for more?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:43 pm 

serleran wrote:I think I might have finally found something worthwhile...

Brotherhood of the Bolt. Doesn't this usually sell for more?

I have seen them go for over $100 in the past.  I think you got a pretty darn good deal there.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:56 pm 

davidc wrote:I recently picked up an OCE (a fun-find for me!), and found a Dragon Magazine insert inside... I've never seen one in sets pictured on ebay.  I wonder if they were/are common, or if I've found a curiosity, or even something rare?

I sold my original OCE to JasonZ nearly 20 years ago on r.g.f.m, but I'm pretty sure that it also had an insert (sized to the box).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:43 pm 

grodog wrote:
I sold my original OCE to JasonZ nearly 20 years ago on r.g.f.m, but I'm pretty sure that it also had an insert (sized to the box).

Mine does not and never did. I am original owner and the only I ever did was take it out of the shrink... 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:43 pm 

bbarsh wrote:
Mine does not and never did. I am original owner and the only I ever did was take it out of the shrink... 8O

Same here, only ever opened up the box.  Never used it or any of its components.  No inserts were in it.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:00 pm 

Here is the insert:

Here is the reverse:

On the inside is a full page green monotone view of Best of The Dragon.

I'm not too sure of the origin of this set; the seller said he was the original owner, but I didn't ask where he bought it.  

Thanks for your thoughts everyone,
David

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:39 pm 

Thanks, davidc, that's the one I had as well:  I bought my OCE c. 1984 or so via Mail Order Hobby Shop, so the insert may not have been present in original printings??

PS:  Mark and davidc:  would you please repost your pics over to the thread @ too (for later searchers :D ):  viewtopic.php?t=4298

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:10 am 

grodog wrote:Thanks, davidc, that's the one I had as well:  I bought my OCE c. 1984 or so via Mail Order Hobby Shop, so the insert may not have been present in original printings??

PS:  Mark and davidc:  would you please repost your pics over to the thread @ too (for later searchers :D ):  viewtopic.php?t=4298

I bought mine in 1982 or so.  No inserts then.  Got it off the shelf of my local small town hobby shop so who knows how long it sat there.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:48 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
I bought mine in 1982 or so.  No inserts then.  Got it off the shelf of my local small town hobby shop so who knows how long it sat there.

ditto. off the shelf; had to be 1981 or 1982. And it was sitting on that shelf for about a year collecting dust.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:06 am 

Here's an auction with a picture of the whole flyer from the small boxed set:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This version is on green paper but it looks like it is suppose to be a full page flyer rather than a folded over one.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33 am 

I sold a whitey a few years ago with a Dragon insert, but my (poor) memory tells me it was printed on white paper in green ink.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:37 am 

Right...just to demonstrate how poor my memory actually is, turns out I didn't sell the whitey, and just checking it now I realize that it's the green insert as in the auction Mark linked to, which is white on the other side with green ink.

Let mirth prevail!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 34 of 111123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 109110111