Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 11112, 3, 4, 5 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 am 

Keith wrote:I already had two issues from 1979, so I'm now looking to fill in the rest of my collection from issues 1 through 150.

That's interesting; earlier this week, I came to a decision to collect only #'s 1 through 125 and to say "hell with it" to the rest of them.

In fact, I'm throwing a bunch of Dragons out. It feels weird to say that, but it's the sad truth. I've always felt the magazine itself got galactically dull from about #125 through about #250, so I have no personal interest in keeping them; also, as we've discussed a couple of times in other threads, the damn things basically can't even be given away. I have no interest in opening an eBay store just to make the occasional 75-cent Dragon sale ... I'll stick with what I said above: hell with it.

(God bless 3e for some things, though — the value of Dragons goes way up beginning with the early 3e issues. Those are definitely worth an eBay listing).

Okay, ending threadjack. Good luck with aquiring your missing issues.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:53 am 

I just grabbed this yesterday evening:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0081327870

A Holmes Basic set (2nd printing as far as I can tell) and an OD&D Greyhawk supplement (not sure which printing), all apparently in near mint condition.

I don't have any of these items, so was willing to bid a fair bid to get them.  Looking at the Acaeum product pages, though, it looks like I got a decent deal - depending on the final condition it seems like I paid either the right amount or just under it.  Either way, I'll be happy when they arrive :).

Still looking for a couple of OD&D supplements (Blackmoor and Deities, Demigods & Heroes).  Got sniped real bad on a mint Blackmoor yesterday morning, but them's the breaks.  Thankfully I'm not a diehard 1st printing hunter, so I figure it's just a matter of time...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:00 am 

Nice win, Kamelion. The Holmes sets are one of my favorite D&D products (as some here may have guessed...). The condition looks fabulous in that auction.

Do you know what the business card in the photo is from? If not, let us know when it arrives.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:09 am 

zhowar wrote:Nice win, Kamelion. The Holmes sets are one of my favorite D&D products (as some here may have guessed...). The condition looks fabulous in that auction.

Yeah, looks nice - it was the Greyhawk that sold me on it.  I was originally looking for a Holmes set with the dice chits (for novelty value, really), but couldn't pass this up, especially as the Geomorphs and M/T Assortment were intact.  I guess I can get a beat up copy with some chits some other day (...and so it begins... ;) )

Do you know what the business card in the photo is from? If not, let us know when it arrives.

It might be from the seller (Wallflower Productions) but I'll be sure to post more when I know for sure.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:20 pm 

Looks lovely Kamelion. Good pics that show off an item are increasingly important - they certainly make me bid that much more

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:29 pm 

Nice fun find - for a print run junkie  :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

I have been looking for a 2nd print for a while now.

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:43 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:Nice fun find - for a print run junkie  :D

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I have been looking for a 2nd print for a while now.

Mike

Plus hexpad, not bad.  Good win!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:44 pm 

Thanks Bombadil!

Actually it was the hex pad that was a 2nd :oops:  :D
The folio is a 4th, which is also cool  :D

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:08 pm 

Oh, my mistake.   :D

I have to admit, I was wondering how you could tell the folio was a 2nd!

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:44 am 

bombadil wrote:I have to admit, I was wondering how you could tell the folio was a 2nd!

Chromaticknight ruined my fun by flat out telling us it's a 4th, but you can tell the printing from the auction photos.  Blue "World of Greyhawk" font + double-folded folio spine.  :wink:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 pm 

bombadil wrote:Still regret having sold mine.  It was minty.  On the other hand, it went to a good member of the boards here, so it's still "in the family" so to speak.

If it helps ease the woe that is easily the best thing I ever bought D&D wise.  That thing is so old I feel the eldritch power in my veins everytime I pick it up.   :)   And so minty too ...a nice representative of the era it came from.

If I had to keep one thing in my humble collection and give the rest away this would be it, so I thank you for selling it to me.  Besides you did well with your own little upgrade there, so feel good for having spread the wealth a bit!   :wink:

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:09 pm 

I picked this up this 1st print Boot Hill from the seller today.  The seller bought it back in the 70's and never used it.  Its in perfect condition and has the extra map sheet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0079880060

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:16 pm 

NetRodent wrote:I picked this up this 1st print Boot Hill from the seller today.  The seller bought it back in the 70's and never used it.  Its in perfect condition and has the extra map sheet.

Very nice!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:22 am 

Very cool, NetRodent:  I didn't know about the other mapsheet (don't recall seeing that in other BH 1st auctions before---was it supposed to be bound into the center of the book, or is a completely separate sheet?).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:25 am 

grodog wrote:Very cool, NetRodent:  I didn't know about the other mapsheet (don't recall seeing that in other BH 1st auctions before---was it supposed to be bound into the center of the book, or is a completely separate sheet?).

Actually that makes me a very happy camper.  The copy that I won last year had the loose map and I was under the impression that the previous owner had removed it from the staples. Good news for me! :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:20 am 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0081327870

Well, this arrived in the mail this morning :D

All components are in beautiful condition and the Greyhawk supplement that was included is a 9th printing and is as near to mint as you can get.  Very happy.  The sellers (Wallflower Productions, who sell on Ebay as cdrewcweb) provided excellent communication, accurate descriptions and pictures and really great packaging.  I'd recommend them very highly.

The dice appear to be two separate sets (both with an old-style d20 that's numbered 1-10 twice).  I think that one is a little more recent than the other as one of the d4s has the flattened points that you didn't see until later.  The other d4 has points sharp enough to take someone's eye out with, lol.  And one set has a two pipped d6s, while the other is a regular numbered one.

The business card that's shown in the picture isn't from Wallflower Productions (theirs was included, but not shown).  Instead, it appears to be from the shop where the set was originall bought - a place called Brookhurst Hobbies on Brookhurst Way in Garden Grove CA.  It's really cute ("Imported Model Products From Around The World").  The box even had Brookhurst Hobbies' $5.00 price sticker in it (long since become non-adhesive).  Talk about complete, heh heh.

I also grabbed one of those 32 page AD&D 2nd Edition Preview booklets for 99p yesterday (although not the one that LittlePrincessCouglander is selling, lol).  A novelty purchase, really.  I'm enjoying reading through it and seeing all the thinly-veiled swipes at Gygax-era AD&D1e.  The phrase "Where is the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game headed in the future?" gave me quite a chuckle.  Ah, the benefit of hindsight...  :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:34 am 

Kamelion wrote:

Well, this arrived in the mail this morning :D

All components are in beautiful condition and the Greyhawk supplement that was included is a 9th printing and is as near to mint as you can get.  Very happy.  The sellers (Wallflower Productions, who sell on Ebay as cdrewcweb) provided excellent communication, accurate descriptions and pictures and really great packaging.  I'd recommend them very highly.

The dice appear to be two separate sets (both with an old-style d20 that's numbered 1-10 twice).  I think that one is a little more recent than the other as one of the d4s has the flattened points that you didn't see until later.  The other d4 has points sharp enough to take someone's eye out with, lol.  And one set has a two pipped d6s, while the other is a regular numbered one.

The business card that's shown in the picture isn't from Wallflower Productions (theirs was included, but not shown).  Instead, it appears to be from the shop where the set was originall bought - a place called Brookhurst Hobbies on Brookhurst Way in Garden Grove CA.  It's really cute ("Imported Model Products From Around The World").  The box even had Brookhurst Hobbies' $5.00 price sticker in it (long since become non-adhesive).  Talk about complete, heh heh.

I also grabbed one of those 32 page AD&D 2nd Edition Preview booklets for 99p yesterday (although not the one that LittlePrincessCouglander is selling, lol).  A novelty purchase, really.  I'm enjoying reading through it and seeing all the thinly-veiled swipes at Gygax-era AD&D1e.  The phrase "Where is the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game headed in the future?" gave me quite a chuckle.  Ah, the benefit of hindsight...  :P

Nice win... :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:55 am 

grodog wrote:Very cool, NetRodent:  I didn't know about the other mapsheet (don't recall seeing that in other BH 1st auctions before---was it supposed to be bound into the center of the book, or is a completely separate sheet?).

I don't have it in front of me at the moment but I'm 99% sure the map doesn't have staple holes in it.  I'll check when I get home.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 11112, 3, 4, 5 ... 109110111