Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 3 of 11112, 3, 4 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:33 pm 

Nice win netrodent:  I'm surprised that this 4th went so cheaply:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:09 am 

It's the exact same one I sold to her at auction for $30 two months ago. She stripped off the duct tape. Seems to have come off OK

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:45 am 

Still regret having sold mine.  It was minty.  On the other hand, it went to a good member of the boards here, so it's still "in the family" so to speak.

Let mirth prevail!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:31 pm 

bombadil wrote:Still regret having sold mine.  It was minty.  On the other hand, it went to a good member of the boards here, so it's still "in the family" so to speak.

I've never even seen any of the earlier prints, let alone had one to sell :(.  I have an OCE (box slightly battered, books minty perfection) that came along with an ancient pair of d10s (the 20-sided variety) still in a wee blister pack.  I was lucky to snag it for just under $60 from my old flgs, who didn't seem to know what it was.  Although, to be fair, I didn't really know what it was either and only discovered its value later.  Heh, not exactly a "recent" fun find, but it got me started on collecting the good old stuff.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:50 pm 

Kamelion wrote:I've never even seen any of the earlier prints, let alone had one to sell :(.  I have an OCE (box slightly battered, books minty perfection) that came along with an ancient pair of d10s (the 20-sided variety) still in a wee blister pack.  I was lucky to snag it for just under $60 from my old flgs, who didn't seem to know what it was.  Although, to be fair, I didn't really know what it was either and only discovered its value later.  Heh, not exactly a "recent" fun find, but it got me started on collecting the good old stuff.

At one time I think I had about 12-14 of the White Box Sets in all. What can I say, except that I was crazy for them...... :oops:  8)  :lol:

As I recall 3 of them were OCE's and the rest were other various print runs, including one set of the uncommon 4 plus and another set for which the box and each book were all signed by Gary Gygax.

I still have a near mint 4th print White Box, and a near mint 2nd Print wood grain box set with Minty books.

While it was a pleasure having them all back then, I cannot imagine owning 12-14 White Box Sets ever again........

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:26 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
At one time I think I had about 12-14 of the White Box Sets in all. What can I say, except that I was crazy for them...... :oops:  8)  :lol:

As I recall 3 of them were OCE's and the rest were other various print runs, including one set of the uncommon 4 plus and another set for which the box and each book were all signed by Gary Gygax.

I still have a near mint 4th print White Box, and a near mint 2nd Print wood grain box set with Minty books.

While it was a pleasure having them all back then, I cannot imagine owning 12-14 White Box Sets ever again........

Don't worry Aneoth I still have two of them!!!!  The Gygax signed version, and one of the 4th prints. And the rest went to Acaeum members for the most part, so they all got good homes.
  Interestingly, the prices for white boxes seem to flucuate a lot.  I bet with time and persistance someone could collect in the double digits in about a year's time without too much effort or cost.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:52 pm 

Been after one for a long time and finally got one, at a good price too!

Warriors of the Gray Queen

Last edited by a2jeff on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:40 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

The Dungeon Masters Guide is an Acaeum ranked 5th printing, which I hadn't managed to get a hold of until now.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:05 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:

The Dungeon Masters Guide is an Acaeum ranked 5th printing, which I hadn't managed to get a hold of until now.

All that for $29.00?  Sweet :).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:15 pm 

Nice win Grubbiv...

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:49 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Don't despair! The Collector's Trove will be offering a 1977 Grenadier TSR Lizard Man Logo Miniature in the Kevin Hendryx auction in the upcoming months. I am just waiting to receive a few manuscripts from Kevin and a run of the Random Events TSR newsletter.

Hey Paul, any chance that Trudy would be able to release a limited-edition reissue of this figure, to help support Dave's kids' college fund?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:46 pm 

Howdy Allan,

grodog wrote:Hey Paul, any chance that Trudy would be able to release a limited-edition reissue of this figure, to help support Dave's kids' college fund?

It belongs to Kevin Hendryx. As to the re-issue of it, it is copyrighted by Grenadier and is an original corporate logo of TSR. So I dunno.

I bet Richard could have his sculptor make up one from the original Bell drawing. :wink:

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:17 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:It belongs to Kevin Hendryx. As to the re-issue of it, it is copyrighted by Grenadier and is an original corporate logo of TSR. So I dunno.

Ah, sorry, I was crossing my mental wires there.  Does Andy Chernak (sp?) own most of the rights to the Grenadier lines, or would the sculptor of that original Lizardman still retain them??

The Collector's Trove wrote:I bet Richard could have his sculptor make up one from the original Bell drawing. :wink:

=)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:59 am 

I jump-started my collection of Dragon magazines last night with this:

I thought $17 +S/H was a reasonable price.

I already had two issues from 1979, so I'm now looking to fill in the rest of my collection from issues 1 through 150.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 am 

Keith wrote:I already had two issues from 1979, so I'm now looking to fill in the rest of my collection from issues 1 through 150.

That's interesting; earlier this week, I came to a decision to collect only #'s 1 through 125 and to say "hell with it" to the rest of them.

In fact, I'm throwing a bunch of Dragons out. It feels weird to say that, but it's the sad truth. I've always felt the magazine itself got galactically dull from about #125 through about #250, so I have no personal interest in keeping them; also, as we've discussed a couple of times in other threads, the damn things basically can't even be given away. I have no interest in opening an eBay store just to make the occasional 75-cent Dragon sale ... I'll stick with what I said above: hell with it.

(God bless 3e for some things, though — the value of Dragons goes way up beginning with the early 3e issues. Those are definitely worth an eBay listing).

Okay, ending threadjack. Good luck with aquiring your missing issues.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:53 am 

I just grabbed this yesterday evening:

A Holmes Basic set (2nd printing as far as I can tell) and an OD&D Greyhawk supplement (not sure which printing), all apparently in near mint condition.

I don't have any of these items, so was willing to bid a fair bid to get them.  Looking at the Acaeum product pages, though, it looks like I got a decent deal - depending on the final condition it seems like I paid either the right amount or just under it.  Either way, I'll be happy when they arrive :).

Still looking for a couple of OD&D supplements (Blackmoor and Deities, Demigods & Heroes).  Got sniped real bad on a mint Blackmoor yesterday morning, but them's the breaks.  Thankfully I'm not a diehard 1st printing hunter, so I figure it's just a matter of time...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:00 am 

Nice win, Kamelion. The Holmes sets are one of my favorite D&D products (as some here may have guessed...). The condition looks fabulous in that auction.

Do you know what the business card in the photo is from? If not, let us know when it arrives.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:09 am 

zhowar wrote:Nice win, Kamelion. The Holmes sets are one of my favorite D&D products (as some here may have guessed...). The condition looks fabulous in that auction.

Yeah, looks nice - it was the Greyhawk that sold me on it.  I was originally looking for a Holmes set with the dice chits (for novelty value, really), but couldn't pass this up, especially as the Geomorphs and M/T Assortment were intact.  I guess I can get a beat up copy with some chits some other day (...and so it begins... ;) )

Do you know what the business card in the photo is from? If not, let us know when it arrives.

It might be from the seller (Wallflower Productions) but I'll be sure to post more when I know for sure.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 3 of 11112, 3, 4 ... 109110111