Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 111123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:39 am 

benjoshua wrote:First, the top has a very slight dip and was curious about any way to straighten that out.  Or would you recommend leaving it alone?  Second, how do you recommend storing box contents?

If a box contains nothing but flat paper, I over-stuff it with more paper -booklets, homebrew material, old newspapers. A box containing odd-shaped parts [chit, counters] would need something to fill out the gaps, like packing peanuts or bubble wrap.

Then the boxes may be stacked, with the weight flattening things out. Just make sure the boxes are filled evenly, with no side sticking up past the others. It that happens, the flaps & corners will be subject to destructive stress.

The boxes are stacked at slight angles to one another, so the edge of one box intersects & crosses the edges of the boxes above & below it. If this is not done, & the boxes are stacked at an even angle one on top of the other, the corners of one dig into the surface of the others, producing cave-ins.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:27 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Got this yesterday in the mail.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Nice win! I'm in the market for one of those as well.

And, I got a 1st print G1 in great condition in the mail today!

Very happy with this item.

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:52 pm 

I won this item for taking 1st place in an AD&D tournament when I was only twelve. I saw it on eBay a few times, and actually won one in crummy condition. Thanks to smarmy1 for pointing out this one, which I won for a song and dance - in shrink, no less! A great piece of nostalgia to replace the one I won back in the day, which is sadly long, long gone.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:24 pm 

i cant believe to what i have won... really for a ridicolous price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0212368430

:D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:51 pm 

aia wrote:i cant believe to what i have won... really for a ridicolous price!

Listed in the wrong place.  Should have been under Games\Miniatures, War Games instead of Toy Soldiers.

Nice price though!  :D

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:09 pm 

nice win axel

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:35 pm 

I had my eye on that myself, but chose not to bid. :) Definitely a nice win.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:36 pm 

Yeah. Nice win! :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:15 pm 

I won the 2-piece bikini-set. Just hoping my arse squeezes into it now.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 pm 

I picked a good day to go to the local thrift store.

Forgotten Realm's Atlas, FA1, and H4 for $12 total.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:57 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:H4

I thought I had heard the wind pick up outside, but I just realized it was actually Cougie, screaming:

"Noooooooooo!!!"

Heard it all the way from Portsmouth!  8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:25 pm 

eyeofvecna made a nice pickup on the "Finger in the Wind" tourney @  

I missed my follow-up bid when Eric Shook called me and I was informing him of Gary's death :(

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:50 pm 

This will probably get me burned at the stake, but I picked up a very great copy of B2 at the con that just went buy last month.

It's the first copy of it that I've ever owned.

I went from whitebox to ad&d and I had a basic set, but it was b1, not b2. I've never DM'd or played B2. =(

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:21 pm 

This may get me crucified, but I had my best eBay wins ever.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=008

They are all in very fine to near mint shape except for I1 which is fair and H1 which has near mint contents with very good condition box.  I couldn't believe my luck.  He even gave me a fair combined shipping charge and boxed everything up fairly well.  But the story gets better...

Once I realized this seller wasn't going to list anything else D&D, I called him up.  I wanted to see if he had more stuff.  Nicest guy ever.  He told me that he realized that he had indeed failed to list some things and was just going to throw them in since I won the most of his D&D auctions.  I offered to pay him for the stuff (I didn't even know what it was).  He refused and told me the stuff was really old.  I am thinking, do I hope the stuff is good so the deal is even better or hope it's junk so I don't feel even more guilty about the difference between what I paid and what it's worth?  I didn't complain.  "Sure, throw it in."  Anyway, the "old" stuff was pretty nice.

The free stuff he threw in were mono, D1, D2, D3, T1(1st), B1, S2(1st) & C1(2nd). Plus, he threw in AC3(Revenge of Rusack), Role Aids Tower of Magicks and Question of Gravity.  All were in excellent shape.

Couple of questions, what is Question of Gravity worth? Any good? Why are there two AC3 D&D products?

Anyway, WOW, a VERY good haul. :oops:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm 

benjoshua wrote:This may get me crucified, but I had my best eBay wins ever.

They are all in very fine to near mint shape except for I1 which is fair and H1 which has near mint contents with very good condition box.  I couldn't believe my luck.  He even gave me a fair combined shipping charge and boxed everything up fairly well.  But the story gets better...

Once I realized this seller wasn't going to list anything else D&D, I called him up.  I wanted to see if he had more stuff.  Nicest guy ever.  He told me that he realized that he had indeed failed to list some things and was just going to throw them in since I won the most of his D&D auctions.  I offered to pay him for the stuff (I didn't even know what it was).  He refused and told me the stuff was really old.  I am thinking, do I hope the stuff is good so the deal is even better or hope it's junk so I don't feel even more guilty about the difference between what I paid and what it's worth?  I didn't complain.  "Sure, throw it in."  Anyway, the "old" stuff was pretty nice.

The free stuff he threw in were mono, D1, D2, D3, T1(1st), B1, S2(1st) & C1(2nd). Plus, he threw in AC3(Revenge of Rusack), Role Aids Tower of Magicks and Question of Gravity.  All were in excellent shape.

Couple of questions, what is Question of Gravity worth? Any good? Why are there two AC3 D&D products?

Anyway, WOW, a VERY good haul. :oops:

Everyone gets at least one of those sometime in their collecting career. Congrats!

Question of Gravity is one of those things that seem like they should be worth a lot, but isn't.  I think I got about $15 for my last copy.

The saga of the AC3/AC5 mess up was a case of TSR accidentally misprinting AC5; later versions had a sticker over the offending "AC3".

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:29 am 

Badmike wrote:
Everyone gets at least one of those sometime in their collecting career. Congrats!

After seven years of collecting I am still waiting for mine! Guess I'll just have to sit up 24 hours a day watching for BINs as items get listed!!!!

I'm very envious benjoshua!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:56 pm 

benjoshua, I am insanely jealous.  lol  You hit the mother lode with that transaction!  Wow!  :)  Congrats on not only getting some great prices for those auctions, but also getting all of those extra gems as a bonus!

~Kat  ^_^

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:59 pm 

Don't know if I've ever had someone throw stuff in after the fact, but I have had extra things not listed or tucked inside box sets.  That is always fun to find, even if it is a character sheet or something.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 111123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 109110111