Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 17 of 111123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:08 am 

serleran wrote:Just got a BiN for 7 AD&D2e DMGRs, including Complete Necromancer, in VG+ - Excellent, for a whopping $50, which I see CN going for by itself. So, I'm happy, seeing as I needed it, and can just feel the others were "free." Yay!

I really don't want to burst your bubble Serleran but I think $50 for the lot is probably about right.  Complete Necromancers is about $15-$20 book at best these days.  I would be happy to sell the others for $5 each which adds up to $50 so you are right on target (in my mind).  A quick check ... the last 3 Necros on Ebay sold for $14.51 - $16.59 - the days of a Necro hitting $50 are long gone.  

Again I don't want to burst your bubble on these but just be careful when you are doing your valuations.  Another good example is the FR Harpers book.  It used to hold a lot of value but now can be had for $5 if you are a little patient.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:34 am 

Nope, my bubble is as thick as it ever was. Even if CN isn't as "investment worthy" as it used to be (never cared about that anyway), I still got it, and the others, for a good deal, especially considering shipping costs had I had to buy them separately. A $20 book with $6.00 S/H adding to 6 * ($3 ~ 6 + ~$4 S/H) is slightly more expensive than the lot itself. I needed 6 of the 7 books (mostly replacements) so it wasn't all about the CN in it. But, thanks for the heads-up on its value decrease. Makes me wary of several stores that still had it listed at $50+.

See, I use them (retailers) as an indicator of value (I try to find at least ten stores and average the price)... not eBay which is random and fickle (just because bclarkie can find an OCE for $7.00 doesn't mean that the average cost is that low, for example; the site itself says this.) Of course, I typically cut a store's cost by 40% so, yeah. Stupid me.

But, anyway... I'm still happy with the BIN. Guess I'll go add myself to the idiot buyers list.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:10 am 

I got my cn for um... next to nothing I think. I could sell it for a tidy profit.. but it's a cool book damnit! great reading material in there.

Nothing much interesting on ebay for me except a few super awesome pewter planescape pins, HORAH!

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:39 am 

This isn't actually a "fun find", but I wanted to post some specifics about the recent 2nd Edition Chainmail I got on eBay.

What's interesting is how the book was put together.

The inside pages were all folded and the stapled along the fold or "spine" in 2 places. Then the yellow cover was stapled onto the inside booklet, but all the way through to the center pages like the booklet was done.

In other words, from the outside it appears there are 2 staples, but in the center of the book there are 4 staples. You can see the 2 staples used to put the inside booklet portion together from inside the front cover.

I have checked the cover and pages carefully and this is deliberate, there are no second holes like someone had to reattached the cover or something, just 2 clean sets of staples at different distances along the "spine"... I'll get some pictures later to show it in more detail. Just an unusual way to put the book together, like the cover was an after thought ??? or maybe they wanted to get the booklets ready and put the covers on as they came in ? just odd.

This is the 1st print of the Second Edition with the Evansville, Indiana on the copyright page.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:52 am 

Sounds familiar.  I think there's been at least one other copy like that posted here.  But I can't remember whether it was a 1st print of the 2nd edition.  

Try PMing Paul Stormberg (The Collector's Trove).

Nice win!   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:26 am 

Early Christmas gift for my daughter . . . okay, she will only be 3 1/2 by Christmas, so maybe I will have to wait for two years.  

In any case, it is eventually going to get opened and used.  I've never played this before, so I look forward to checking it out!  

:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:54 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Early Christmas gift for my daughter . . . okay, she will only be 3 1/2 by Christmas, so maybe I will have to wait for two years.  

In any case, it is eventually going to get opened and used.  I've never played this before, so I look forward to checking it out!  

** expired/removed eBay auction **

thats a great win paul! am sure you will all have lots of fun playing it :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:56 am 

bombadil wrote:Sounds familiar.  I think there's been at least one other copy like that posted here.  But I can't remember whether it was a 1st print of the 2nd edition.  

Try PMing Paul Stormberg (The Collector's Trove).

Nice win!   :D

I was just going to suggest that, too.  Paul and I chatted about Chainmail variants while at the LGGC a few weeks ago:  I'm sure he'd appreciate additional confirmation if that's one of the versions that he's still tracking.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:57 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Early Christmas gift for my daughter . . . okay, she will only be 3 1/2 by Christmas, so maybe I will have to wait for two years.  

Nice win, Paul!  You scored your copy for about $12-15 less that I did mine :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:15 am 

not sure on the real conditions since i havent received it so far...

anyway i was looking for a 4th print whitey and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0124358580

happy to have paid as a VG item according to the Aceaum (and it seems to be better than VG from the pic)...  PDT_Armataz_01_14

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:29 pm 

aia wrote:not sure on the real conditions since i havent received it so far...

happy to have paid as a VG item according to the Aceaum (and it seems to be better than VG from the pic)...  PDT_Armataz_01_14

Damn nice win Axel!   :cheers:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:41 pm 

Heh, Fantasy Forest is different. My fiancee's sister has it, and I got to play it before. Neat little game for the very young, and a very good intro to Dungeon!

Nice win, especially with it being sealed.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:49 pm 

Hamilcar had a absolute mint copy a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to grab it for my daughter but it got out of my price range.

Did anyone see the final price on that? I think it went for around $50

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:54 pm 

$31, actually

Appears to be a different printing though.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:59 pm 

Only $31 I would have paid that, what was I thinking  :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:39 pm 

I was looking for some stuff and came across this listing from 2000

The Dwarven Glory, Wee Warriors, 1976. 'Dungeon Masters Kit Number 2.'
$2.

The Finieous Fingers Treasury, TSR, 1981. Collection, 42 pages, of
Finieous Fingers cartoons. $10.

Palace of the Vampire Queen, Wee Warriors, 1977. 'Dungeon Masters Kit
Number 1, Levels I-V.' Mint. $2.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:45 pm 

aia wrote:not sure on the real conditions since i havent received it so far...

Axel, that's a really nice looking 4th.  Congrats!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:04 pm 

Not necessarily a "fun" find or that great a deal really :roll: , but a very satisfactory win vs another buyer who is much more carefree with his money than me :D . Please check out the bid history on this:

By the way, the question I asked was about 2 hours or less before the auction was supposed to end. I had completely forgotten to ask about item conditions and was not going to bid, especially due to propensity for "Mr. Fin" to usually bid high right before the auction ends. He has outbid me so many times that I have lost count and tend to walk away from items when I see his name listed :evil:

Hopefully I can mix & match with my prior set and make a minty complete set and re-sell the rest :wink: .

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 17 of 111123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 109110111