Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 15 of 111123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 109110111
Author


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:58 pm 
 

Thanks guys, I actually forgot about Yog-Sothoth as a reference site. :?   Anyway looking at Yog, they list it at $30, but that is what the retail price on it was back when they originally sold it.  

I went and checked Noble Knight again and realized that Aaron must have "borrowed" the picture I was looking at before, because even though his picture is of the Limited Edition book, his description clearly indicates it is a softcover 5th edition booklet form 1992, not the hardcover reprint from 1993.  Sadly, that is also not the first time I have seen him do something like that.  I don't know if its intentional or not, but he really needs to be more careful if its just a mistake. on the other hand, if its being done intentionally, well then thats just bull sh*t. :x

Anyway, back to the original topic.  Stephen, any chance you could find out for me?  I don't have an account at Yagoth currently and it might be easier rather than me stumble in there like some clueless n00b just to ask one question, if someone who was a little more familiar with the terrain was doing the asking. :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4505
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:05 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:
I went and checked Noble Knight again and realized that Aaron must have "borrowed" the picture I was looking at before, because even though his picture is of the Limited Edition book, his description clearly indicates it is a softcover 5th edition booklet form 1992, not the hardcover reprint from 1993.  Sadly, that is also not the first time I have seen him do something like that.  I don't know if its intentional or not, but he really needs to be more careful if its just a mistake. on the other hand, if its being done intentionally, well then thats just bull sh*t. :x


He uses stock photos, not sure if after he has one the pic gets used for any others he later has, or if he's pulled images from another source. I've asked him on some Judges Guild items before to get clarification, and he does at times list printings now for them (but then I've changed some printings since I believe. :) )

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:16 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:
He uses stock photos, not sure if after he has one the pic gets used for any others he later has, or if he's pulled images from another source. I've asked him on some Judges Guild items before to get clarification, and he does at times list printings now for them (but then I've changed some printings since I believe. :) )

ShaneG.


Well I was looking through his listing a few months ago and I happened to notice that in his Monster Manual section that he was using a 1st print MM "stock photo" for what I am guessing by the price he was asking and the fact that it was not specifically mentioned in the listing that it was a 1st print, that it was a much later print.   To me. that is kind of both reckless and irresponsible.

If you were not familiar with his site, its a distinct possibility that you could see a picture of a 1st print MM, not realize that its not a first print because it doesn't say specifically in the listing that its not a 1st print, and go ahead and buy it only to find out when you get it in the mail.   Its one thing to use stock photos of a common items rather than take a picture of every single item that you have for sale, but the lack of responsibility doing it using by using earlier printing books as your stock photos even though they are not coming from someone who should know better, its kind of disappointing.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2766
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:28 pm 
 

No worries - will ask.


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:37 pm 
 

red_bus wrote:No worries - will ask.


Thanks Steven, you rock!  :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 477
Joined: Nov 25, 2006
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:34 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:If you were not familiar with his site, its a distinct possibility that you could see a picture of a 1st print MM, not realize that its not a first print because it doesn't say specifically in the listing that its not a 1st print, and go ahead and buy it only to find out when you get it in the mail.   Its one thing to use stock photos of a common items rather than take a picture of every single item that you have for sale, but the lack of responsibility doing it using by using earlier printing books as your stock photos even though they are not coming from someone who should know better, its kind of disappointing.


Such a TNT thing to do...

 WWW  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2766
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:54 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:This came in the mail today:


** expired eBay auction **


I will say that regardless, just a quick glance through the book and it is a cool book.  :)




Ola Brian!



OK, there are two differences between the limited edition and the regular 5th edition rules.  Are you ready?  Sitting down?  Good.



1. it says Limited Edition on the top of the cover



2. it is hardback and not softback



That is it.



Chaosium have done similar recently when they released a hardcover 25th anniversery edition - which was effectively identical to the current sixth edition rule-set.  Although in this case the cover was different.

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php? ... le&sid=338



Still a nice catch - especially as quality hardcover Call of Cthulhu stuff has been a bit thin on the ground recently.


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:23 pm 
 

red_bus wrote:
Ola Brian!

OK, there are two differences between the limited edition and the regular 5th edition rules.  Are you ready?  Sitting down?  Good.

1. it says Limited Edition on the top of the cover

2. it is hardback and not softback

That is it.

Chaosium have done similar recently when they released a hardcover 25th anniversery edition - which was effectively identical to the current sixth edition rule-set.  Although in this case the cover was different.
http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php? ... le&sid=338

Still a nice catch - especially as quality hardcover Call of Cthulhu stuff has been a bit thin on the ground recently.


Thanks a bunch for finding out Steven, I appreciate it.  :)  Did anyone you spoke with happen to give any idea on value?  Truthfully, I am not planning on selling it, its just for curiosity sake.  :)   No biggie if not though, its not that important.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 25, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:38 pm 
 

Got this in the mail today




** expired eBay auction **




Pretty happy with it.  Good price as well :D


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 188
Joined: Jun 30, 2004
Last Visit: Feb 21, 2021
Location: Del Norte, CO

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:42 pm 
 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1



Dungeon Masters Guide is 2nd Alpha- with Monster Manual pages in.

The original owner photocopied the correct DMs Guide pages and scotch taped them over the Monster Manual entries. It's not in the best shape. Still:



Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3798
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 02, 2021

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:55 pm 
 

Oh my gentle Jesus, that is sweet!   :D


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:31 pm 
 

ifearyeti wrote:
** expired eBay auction **


Dungeon Masters Guide is 2nd Alpha- with Monster Manual pages in.
The original owner photocopied the correct DMs Guide pages and scotch taped them over the Monster Manual entries. It's not in the best shape. Still:

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!


The auction description doesn't mention that fact . . . serves the seller right!

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 199
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: Seattle, WA USA

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:46 pm 
 

Dungeon Masters Guide is 2nd Alpha- with Monster Manual pages in.
The original owner photocopied the correct DMs Guide pages and scotch taped them over the Monster Manual entries. It's not in the best shape. Still:

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!


Was this pure luck or is there some visual way of spotting that particular printing which I missed?

Cheers,
Curt

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 188
Joined: Jun 30, 2004
Last Visit: Feb 21, 2021
Location: Del Norte, CO

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:27 am 
 

luck

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 199
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: Seattle, WA USA

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:22 pm 
 

Nice!
A "big find" like that is one of the best moments for a collector. I think I would have passed out.  :D

Cheers,
Curt

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 246
Joined: Nov 30, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 29, 2009
Location: Boise, ID

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:36 pm 
 


** expired eBay auction **





** expired eBay auction **




I was quite please in winning these 2 items.  These sets contain the "mini" Dragonlance module series DL1 through DL16.  I almost never see them for sale un-opened.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:55 pm 
 

At a recent con I picked up a mint (I mean MINT) Grenadier boxed set of orcs - these guys are shiny and still have all the flash attached to them, the box is crisp and clean and not dished at all.  It's like someone bought it and shelved it for 30+ years!

Also, I got three Chainmail booklets for $10 each.  The covers are orange, does that mean they're worth less than my silver cover?







:D

Kidding, kidding.  They're all silver comb-bound TSR prints (wizard logo, so probably 6th or 7th...)

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 601
Joined: Apr 15, 2007
Last Visit: Nov 06, 2021
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:13 pm 
 

Well, I'm 1/3 of the way from collecting my set, and at a price I can afford!




** expired eBay auction **




8)


Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 15 of 111123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 109110111