Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 15 of 111123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:58 pm 

Thanks guys, I actually forgot about Yog-Sothoth as a reference site. :?   Anyway looking at Yog, they list it at $30, but that is what the retail price on it was back when they originally sold it.  

I went and checked Noble Knight again and realized that Aaron must have "borrowed" the picture I was looking at before, because even though his picture is of the Limited Edition book, his description clearly indicates it is a softcover 5th edition booklet form 1992, not the hardcover reprint from 1993.  Sadly, that is also not the first time I have seen him do something like that.  I don't know if its intentional or not, but he really needs to be more careful if its just a mistake. on the other hand, if its being done intentionally, well then thats just bull sh*t. :x

Anyway, back to the original topic.  Stephen, any chance you could find out for me?  I don't have an account at Yagoth currently and it might be easier rather than me stumble in there like some clueless n00b just to ask one question, if someone who was a little more familiar with the terrain was doing the asking. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:05 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
I went and checked Noble Knight again and realized that Aaron must have "borrowed" the picture I was looking at before, because even though his picture is of the Limited Edition book, his description clearly indicates it is a softcover 5th edition booklet form 1992, not the hardcover reprint from 1993.  Sadly, that is also not the first time I have seen him do something like that.  I don't know if its intentional or not, but he really needs to be more careful if its just a mistake. on the other hand, if its being done intentionally, well then thats just bull sh*t. :x

He uses stock photos, not sure if after he has one the pic gets used for any others he later has, or if he's pulled images from another source. I've asked him on some Judges Guild items before to get clarification, and he does at times list printings now for them (but then I've changed some printings since I believe. :) )

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:16 pm 

Plaag wrote:
He uses stock photos, not sure if after he has one the pic gets used for any others he later has, or if he's pulled images from another source. I've asked him on some Judges Guild items before to get clarification, and he does at times list printings now for them (but then I've changed some printings since I believe. :) )

ShaneG.

Well I was looking through his listing a few months ago and I happened to notice that in his Monster Manual section that he was using a 1st print MM "stock photo" for what I am guessing by the price he was asking and the fact that it was not specifically mentioned in the listing that it was a 1st print, that it was a much later print.   To me. that is kind of both reckless and irresponsible.

If you were not familiar with his site, its a distinct possibility that you could see a picture of a 1st print MM, not realize that its not a first print because it doesn't say specifically in the listing that its not a 1st print, and go ahead and buy it only to find out when you get it in the mail.   Its one thing to use stock photos of a common items rather than take a picture of every single item that you have for sale, but the lack of responsibility doing it using by using earlier printing books as your stock photos even though they are not coming from someone who should know better, its kind of disappointing.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:28 pm 

No worries - will ask.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:37 pm 

red_bus wrote:No worries - will ask.

Thanks Steven, you rock!  :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:34 pm 

bclarkie wrote:If you were not familiar with his site, its a distinct possibility that you could see a picture of a 1st print MM, not realize that its not a first print because it doesn't say specifically in the listing that its not a 1st print, and go ahead and buy it only to find out when you get it in the mail.   Its one thing to use stock photos of a common items rather than take a picture of every single item that you have for sale, but the lack of responsibility doing it using by using earlier printing books as your stock photos even though they are not coming from someone who should know better, its kind of disappointing.

Such a TNT thing to do...

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:54 pm 

bclarkie wrote:This came in the mail today:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I will say that regardless, just a quick glance through the book and it is a cool book.  :)

Ola Brian!

OK, there are two differences between the limited edition and the regular 5th edition rules.  Are you ready?  Sitting down?  Good.

1. it says Limited Edition on the top of the cover

2. it is hardback and not softback

That is it.

Chaosium have done similar recently when they released a hardcover 25th anniversery edition - which was effectively identical to the current sixth edition rule-set.  Although in this case the cover was different.

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php? ... le&sid=338

Still a nice catch - especially as quality hardcover Call of Cthulhu stuff has been a bit thin on the ground recently.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:23 pm 

red_bus wrote:
Ola Brian!

OK, there are two differences between the limited edition and the regular 5th edition rules.  Are you ready?  Sitting down?  Good.

1. it says Limited Edition on the top of the cover

2. it is hardback and not softback

That is it.

Chaosium have done similar recently when they released a hardcover 25th anniversery edition - which was effectively identical to the current sixth edition rule-set.  Although in this case the cover was different.
http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php? ... le&sid=338

Still a nice catch - especially as quality hardcover Call of Cthulhu stuff has been a bit thin on the ground recently.

Thanks a bunch for finding out Steven, I appreciate it.  :)  Did anyone you spoke with happen to give any idea on value?  Truthfully, I am not planning on selling it, its just for curiosity sake.  :)   No biggie if not though, its not that important.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:38 pm 

Got this in the mail today

Pretty happy with it.  Good price as well :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:42 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Dungeon Masters Guide is 2nd Alpha- with Monster Manual pages in.

The original owner photocopied the correct DMs Guide pages and scotch taped them over the Monster Manual entries. It's not in the best shape. Still:

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:55 pm 

Oh my gentle Jesus, that is sweet!   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:31 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:

The original owner photocopied the correct DMs Guide pages and scotch taped them over the Monster Manual entries. It's not in the best shape. Still:

The auction description doesn't mention that fact . . . serves the seller right!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:46 pm 

Was this pure luck or is there some visual way of spotting that particular printing which I missed?

Cheers,
Curt

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:27 am 

luck

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:22 pm 

Nice!
A "big find" like that is one of the best moments for a collector. I think I would have passed out.  :D

Cheers,
Curt

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:36 pm 

I was quite please in winning these 2 items.  These sets contain the "mini" Dragonlance module series DL1 through DL16.  I almost never see them for sale un-opened.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:55 pm 

At a recent con I picked up a mint (I mean MINT) Grenadier boxed set of orcs - these guys are shiny and still have all the flash attached to them, the box is crisp and clean and not dished at all.  It's like someone bought it and shelved it for 30+ years!

Also, I got three Chainmail booklets for $10 each.  The covers are orange, does that mean they're worth less than my silver cover?

:D

Kidding, kidding.  They're all silver comb-bound TSR prints (wizard logo, so probably 6th or 7th...)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:13 pm 

Well, I'm 1/3 of the way from collecting my set, and at a price I can afford!

8)

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 15 of 111123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 109110111