Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 14 of 111123 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:38 pm 

bombadil wrote:Well, this puppy finally arrived.  It's the first one I've owned that actually has the errata sheet:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Kinda sweeeeet.   8)

Thats a real nice win Stephen.  It's a shame it took over a month to recieve.  I guess the wait was worth it though. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:39 pm 

dsaunders wrote:this arrived today, nicely scrunched and forced into my mailbox  :evil:   lazy mailman...

Scrunched and folded into your mail box?  8O  :evil:  :cry:   When I hear stuff like that it makes me really appreciate my mail man, who never does crap like that.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:54 pm 

dsaunders wrote:this arrived today, nicely scrunched and forced into my mailbox  :evil:   lazy mailman...

Man, that really, really sucks!  Did you insure the package?

That's one of my ultimate pet peeves.  Sometimes you get lucky, though.  I recenty won a 1st print GW Holmes Basic book that was shipped from the UK wrapped in nothing but thin brown paper.  It arrived in perfect condition.   8O

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:29 pm 

bombadil wrote:Well, this puppy finally arrived.  It's the first one I've owned that actually has the errata sheet:

Kinda sweeeeet.   8)

Nice score Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:08 pm 

How was it packaged? It should have been in a stiff, unbendable carton. For $530, you can't take any risks. I am aghast to read that. 8O Was it just the mailman, or has the seller not taken proper packaging precautions?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:03 pm 

the modules came in a regular priority mail envelope.  they were in the usual protective sleave with acid free backing.  only thing beyond that to supplement it was a cut out piece of regular cardboard.  the seller sent it priority with delivery confirmation..  unfortunately, no where on the outside did he write anything to the effect of "please, please, please, do not bend under any circumstances!"...

-dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:11 pm 

after glancing over both the modules (which are now stored in hard plastic cases, displayed on my bookshelves  :P ) the only wear and tear from the travels i've immediately noticed is some slight corner damage on the upper corners of both, and a small (1/2") vertical crease on the bottom of the RPGA1.  it could've been worse.  i almost had a heart attack when i opened the mailbox and saw it crammed inside.  this weekend i'm going to go buy the biggest mailbox i can find, since i don't think my mailman will get any better...  :roll:

-dave

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:51 pm 

We put a large metal bin (a little smaller than a clothes basket) outside the mailbox slot (which in our case is only about 1" tall and 5" wide), and a sign asking them to use the bin, which is now where all of our mail goes, as well as any packages if there's no one home when deliveries arrive (which is rare).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:02 am 

dsaunders wrote:the modules came in a regular priority mail envelope.  they were in the usual protective sleave with acid free backing.  only thing beyond that to supplement it was a cut out piece of regular cardboard.  the seller sent it priority with delivery confirmation..  unfortunately, no where on the outside did he write anything to the effect of "please, please, please, do not bend under any circumstances!"...

8O  8O  8O

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:01 am 

dsaunders wrote:the modules came in a regular priority mail envelope.  they were in the usual protective sleave with acid free backing.  only thing beyond that to supplement it was a cut out piece of regular cardboard.  the seller sent it priority with delivery confirmation..  unfortunately, no where on the outside did he write anything to the effect of "please, please, please, do not bend under any circumstances!"...

Ugh! I remember when those auctions came up and was a little stunned that the seller had almost 10,000 feedbacks, and yet only a 97.2%(!) rating. I imagine crap like that is part of the reason why.  :evil:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:47 am 

Saunders,

I came home yesterday to find a "pick-up" slip from the post office for my R3 & R4 from the same seller (as I wasn't home when they tried to deliver it).  I pLan to pick it up on Saturday.

Man I'm glad my postman didn't try to jam my R4 into my mail box!

I'll let you all know what the conditions really are over the weekend...

Hey, where did you get the "hard plastic cases" you mentioned?  Are they completely sealed, or are they "top loaders"?

Thanks,

Erik.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:11 pm 

Kires1 wrote:Hey, where did you get the "hard plastic cases" you mentioned?  Are they completely sealed, or are they "top loaders"?

Thanks,

Erik.

i got them from www.bcwsupplies.com.  they're top loaders.  they have a little flap on the back you can use to stand them up, but the flap wears out eventually, so i use plastic stands from the same site.

-dave

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:33 pm 

Thanks Dave,

I've got a bunch of those from another mfr, just without the integrated back stand.

I'm on the lookout for similiar cases which are totally sealed (air and water tight), kind of like what you see CGC does with comic books they grade.  Ever seen anything like that?  Maybe the same type of top loader that BCW carries, except with a rigid top that mates with a hard plastic slide (interference fit), such that you could insert your module and then slide the hard plastic strip across the top sealing the module inside...

I had another idea; Ever seen those food storage vacuum sealers?  The bags are sturdy plastic (plyable but not weak like sandwich bags) and come in a big roll - you just cut to size.  Anyway, I was thinking of trying it out on a module or 2 to see if I could vacuum seal the module inside (air and water tight), then maybe place it in a top loader so it doesn't bend..

Just some thoughts...

Erik.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:33 pm 

they're top loaders. they have a little flap on the back you can use to stand them up, but the flap wears out eventually, so i use plastic stands from the same site.

Are they the 9x11.5x7 magazine top loaders?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:44 pm 

This came in the mail today, although I am not sure how "Fun" of a find it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Anyone know what one of these typically goes for?  I checked Ebay and found nothing and I also checked Drgons Trove & Noble Knight, but not with much success.  Aaron does have one listed for $18, but its a softcover not a hardcover. Anyone know what this might fetch?

I will say that regardless, just a quick glance through the book and it is a cool book.  :)

Last edited by bclarkie on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:40 pm 

Ekim Toor wrote:
Are they the 9x11.5x7 magazine top loaders?

from my order history, it was the TLCH-9X11.5X7MM-S 9 X 11.5 X 7 mm - Magazine Topload Holder with Stand.  i have all my R and RPGA modules in those, they fit perfectly.

-dave

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:19 pm 

bclarkie wrote:This came in the mail today, although I am not sure how "Fun" of a find it is:

Anyone know what one of these typically goes for?  I checked Ebay and found nothing and I also checked Drgons Trove & Noble Knight, but not with much success.  aron does have one listed for $18, but its a softcover not a hardcover. Anyone know what this might fetch?

I will say that regardless, just a quick glance through the book and it is a cool book.  :)

According to the Yog-Sothoth site there was 1000 of them printed and only available through their mail order arm (Wizard's Attic). They list the value as $30 but they have not updated their product database info for a couple of years now. I have not spotted any being sold recently.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:41 pm 

Nice buy! If I recall it is identical to the regular 5th Edition (it has the same cover art) - but it had something extra - perhaps signatures? It would be interesting to do a comparison. I don't have one, someone else here might know, or perhaps on Y-S.com, Paul there has a huge collection, as does GBSteve.  Could try posting there if you get naught here - and you will deffo get an answer.

As to value, I do recall seeing one on ebay about a year ago for about (hmmm), $40-50ish.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Last edited by red_bus on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 14 of 111123 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 109110111