Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 105 of 111123 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:17 pm 

Okay, this may be a bit premature, but I figured I'd post it...

My sister and her husband clear out old estates for a living (reselling items in antique stores and thrift shops - they used to be an eBay Powerseller but after issues, they stopped using them - but that's a different story and I digress).  Anyway, she called me and said that they pulled a "four foot stack of D&D books and boxes" from an estate today and wanted me to look at it to see if there was anything valuable in it.  After telling her to make sure no boxes were getting crushed :-) , I told her I would stop over tomorrow morning to look at it.

I wonder what I'm going to find in the morning?  :-)

Pictures and details to follow...

~throwi

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:47 pm 

throwi wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:Okay, this may be a bit premature, but I figured I'd post it...

My sister and her husband clear out old estates for a living (reselling items in antique stores and thrift shops - they used to be an eBay Powerseller but after issues, they stopped using them - but that's a different story and I digress).  Anyway, she called me and said that they pulled a "four foot stack of D&D books and boxes" from an estate today and wanted me to look at it to see if there was anything valuable in it.  After telling her to make sure no boxes were getting crushed :-) , I told her I would stop over tomorrow morning to look at it.

I wonder what I'm going to find in the morning?  :-)

Pictures and details to follow...

~throwi

Think positive. Shoot for a Woodgrain

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:53 pm 

The waiting is half the fun :)

I've picked up, well not tons, but a couple dozen lots on kijiji and such, there's sometimes some very cool things tucked in box sets and as thrown-ins.... there's also lots of Monster Manual IIs  :?   I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:02 am 

Well, after schedules changed, I was finally was able to get out to my sister's last night.  Here's the breakdown:

The "four foot stack of D&D books and boxes" was really about 2 feet of books and one boxed set:  World of Greyhawk, nice box, missing one map... which was the theme of the day...

Nearly everything in the lot was either missing something or was in less than good condition (with a few exceptions).  Most of it smelled like an old basement but nothing was wet or had mold on it (a plus for sure).

First here's the ho-hum list:

A few b/x and 1e mods (Q1, S1, S4, S2, B1 mono, X1) - X1 was in the best condition... of course.
A near full run of DLs;  DL1-DL14;  DL10 - DL14 looked incomplete *except* a couple had full, unpunched counters.  A few maps were missing though.
A few hardbacks:  MMII [ thanks Thunderdave ;-) ], an orange spine PHB, a DMG (newer printing), Oriental Adventures, and either a DL or Greyhawk, I forget.
The basic, expert, companions, masters, and immortals rulebooks ... no boxes of course.  Expert rulebook w/o cover.

Several Gamma World parts (reboot rulebook, adventure guide from the boxed set), and a 1st Gamma World referee's screen w/ mini mod.
Bits and pieces of the Indiana Jones boxed set (no box of course)
Quite a few Top Secret mods (I think all of the first run, plus a few from the later run - a few missing the maps) plus a James Bond Q manual
A couple of Star Frontiers rulebooks

Also, there were tons of photocopies, apparently used for TS game sessions, and dozens of character sheets for all the game systems

A few interesting items:

Polyhedron #24, #25, #26 w/ covers including the Needle adventure (parts 1-3)
Polyhedron #23 w/ cover including part 2 of In the Black Hours mod
2 copies of the Armory 30 sided Dice Gaming Tables (I'm definitely keeping one of these!)
An interesting book entitled The Armory Book One - had firearms from 14th century later - had real pics of weaponry, pretty interesting book.
[EDIT:  The name of this book is: "The Armory Volume 1 Gunpowder Era Weapons from the Fourteenth Century to the Present"]

I gave my brother in law the going prices (estimates) for each item, highlighting the Polys.  In the end, he said he probably couldn't sell these in his antique/thrift store channels - he wanted to know if I wanted the lot for $50.  I told him that the Polys were probably worth close to that alone but he didn't want them so I took lot.

I needed the Polys for my collection, plus one TS and GW book... I probably would have spent over $50 to get those anyway.  I will likely sell whatever is "sell-able" on eBay next week.

So, nothing too great but loads of fun going through them all!

~throwi

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:16 pm 

Lol, toild you :)

Still about the best way to work on a collection, get enough re-sellable items to cover your cost, and keep the ones you need for free.  I'm glad you found something for yourself!

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:25 pm 

Finally got a first print Outdoor Geomorphs.  And it came with a second print Dungeon Geos Set One, a first print Dungeon Geos Set Two, and a third print Dungeon Geos Set Three.  All in really nice condition.   :D

** expired/removed eBay auction **

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 am 

Bracton wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:Finally got a first print Outdoor Geomorphs.  And it came with a second print Dungeon Geos Set One, a first print Dungeon Geos Set Two, and a third print Dungeon Geos Set Three.  All in really nice condition.   :D

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Very nice!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:23 am 

A couple of months ago was reviewing some lot sales on eBay and saw the cover of 'Wild Things'. The lot was not in great shape and couldn't see too much on photos. Took a leap and bought it at 70$, if I recall, got 4 rule books 6 modules, none in great shape and a little mildew smell (they were segregated from main collection), and the cover of and module 'Wild Things'. No Wilderness Survival Guide. Aired it and and bagged it seems to be in good shape.

I'm new here is that a good buy?  I keep telling myself to sell the other parts of the lot and maybe I can have gotten 'Wild Thing' almost for free.  Just haven't gotten time to list anything

Peter Green

It isn't easy being Green

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:21 am 

Peter Green wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:A couple of months ago was reviewing some lot sales on eBay and saw the cover of 'Wild Things'. The lot was not in great shape and couldn't see too much on photos. Took a leap and bought it at 70$, if I recall, got 4 rule books 6 modules, none in great shape and a little mildew smell (they were segregated from main collection), and the cover of and module 'Wild Things'. No Wilderness Survival Guide. Aired it and and bagged it seems to be in good shape.

I'm new here is that a good buy?  I keep telling myself to sell the other parts of the lot and maybe I can have gotten 'Wild Thing' almost for free.  Just haven't gotten time to list anything

Peter Green

Wild Things goes for at least $30?

So if the rulebooks and modules are unable to be aired out, it might have cost you a bit.

If the smell goes away, you'll at least get most of your money back.  :)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:55 pm 

Along with my recent fun finds (the post last week), I found two identical maps and can't identify them.

They are entitled "Southern Ergoth and the Lands of the Elves in Exile", with a DragonLance heading.  They have a date of 1983 and are hex maps.

I've confirmed they are not in DL1-DL14 (haven't checked DL15-DL16, but those dates don't line up), as well as the boxed sets Time of the Dragon, Dragon Mountain, Dwarven Kingdoms of Krynn, Council of Wyrms, and Tales of the Lance.    I have not checked the Dragonlance Atlas or DLC1-3.

Does anyone know what this map is from?  I can scan and post a picture tonight if that helps (hard to do from work at the moment).

~throwi

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:57 pm 

There's usually an ID code printed along the border somewhere, the first four digits generally correspond to the TSR product code.

Just google TSR xxxx and that should help...

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:43 pm 

throwi wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:Along with my recent fun finds (the post last week), I found two identical maps and can't identify them.

They are entitled "Southern Ergoth and the Lands of the Elves in Exile", with a DragonLance heading.  They have a date of 1983 and are hex maps.

I've confirmed they are not in DL1-DL14 (haven't checked DL15-DL16, but those dates don't line up), as well as the boxed sets Time of the Dragon, Dragon Mountain, Dwarven Kingdoms of Krynn, Council of Wyrms, and Tales of the Lance.    I have not checked the Dragonlance Atlas or DLC1-3.

Does anyone know what this map is from?  I can scan and post a picture tonight if that helps (hard to do from work at the moment).

~throwi

I think that map belongs to DL7 Dragons of Light, TSR 9136XXX1401

Here's a good place to go for info on the Dragonlance modules contents:

DL Expansion

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:42 pm 

Thunderdave and dbartman - thanks for the replies.

There isn't the normal code at the bottom of the map that the later mods/boxes had - I looked for this right away and it was absent.

If it's part of DL7, then my copy (which I thought was complete) is missing it too!  Having 2 copies may be extremely fortuitous!  I'll check in the am - just got back from an epic shopping afternoon, but at least I'm done!

Thanks guys,

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:49 pm 

This morning, my email alerts me that a seller has listed a copy of AC5 on ebay - I immediately go to the auction click the BIN, risking that it's remotely close to complete - there were several watchers already and the BIN was low enough for the risk.

I pay, I get an email that it's all set and a few hours later even get a tracking number for my package.  I begin celebrating that I just got the elusive AC5...

Then I get this message in ebay:  "Thank you for your purchase!  Unfortunately, it appears that we had an eBay database error and do not have this item in stock. We will have to cancel your order and provide you a refund. Very sorry. Hope you can find this item elsewhere for a reasonable price."  Really?  Even *after* a tracking number and several emails re: processing and sending it out??

Perhaps the seller realized he/she could sell it for more and pulled the plug on my item?  Thoughts anyone?

~throwi   :evil:

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:01 pm 

throwi wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:This morning, my email alerts me that a seller has listed a copy of AC5 on ebay - I immediately go to the auction click the BIN, risking that it's remotely close to complete - there were several watchers already and the BIN was low enough for the risk.

I pay, I get an email that it's all set and a few hours later even get a tracking number for my package.  I begin celebrating that I just got the elusive AC5...

Then I get this message in ebay:  "Thank you for your purchase!  Unfortunately, it appears that we had an eBay database error and do not have this item in stock. We will have to cancel your order and provide you a refund. Very sorry. Hope you can find this item elsewhere for a reasonable price."  Really?  Even *after* a tracking number and several emails re: processing and sending it out??

Perhaps the seller realized he/she could sell it for more and pulled the plug on my item?  Thoughts anyone?

When you print your own shipping label through ebay or one of the print your own shipping services you can also print a tracking number. With ebay you get an automatic 5 stars if you ship within 24 hours and once you have printed the label you are considered to have 'shipped' the item whether or not it is actually in the hands of the usps or not. They probably printed the shipping label before they checked whether or not they had the item in stock. Some sellers put their items up for sale on ebay while also having them for sale through their store or online catalog and some sellers will go back on a sale if they feel it didn't sell for enough. No way to tell which it is, but there isn't anything you can really do except note which seller screwed you over and not buy from them again.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:53 pm 

A most unusual fun find today... started with a small but very nice Skyrealms of Jorune lot local pickup:
Attachment:
DSCN2614.JPG

For the unusual part, here's the bonus... a Ramian sculpt!
Attachment:
DSCN2615.JPG

It's about the size and weight of a bowling ball... must be almost solid clay:
Attachment:
DSCN2616.JPG

Like many of you, I enjoy the character sheets, homegrown settings, and sketches that often come with rpg sets... this one takes the cake for me though, a wonderful show of care for a game and its setting.  Wow.

Merry Christmas everyone :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:36 am 

JasonZavoda wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:
throwi wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:This morning, my email alerts me that a seller has listed a copy of AC5 on ebay - I immediately go to the auction click the BIN, risking that it's remotely close to complete - there were several watchers already and the BIN was low enough for the risk.

When you print your own shipping label through ebay or one of the print your own shipping services you can also print a tracking number. With ebay you get an automatic 5 stars if you ship within 24 hours and once you have printed the label you are considered to have 'shipped' the item whether or not it is actually in the hands of the usps or not. They probably printed the shipping label before they checked whether or not they had the item in stock. Some sellers put their items up for sale on ebay while also having them for sale through their store or online catalog and some sellers will go back on a sale if they feel it didn't sell for enough. No way to tell which it is, but there isn't anything you can really do except note which seller screwed you over and not buy from them again.

Thanks for the clarification Jason.  I *assumed* that it worked in a different order but I can see that for big sellers, in order to retain their discounts and status, have to get creative with their packaging/notification.  oh well.  So it goes when collecting - joy to disappointment in a single moment.

~throwi

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:27 pm 

tool wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:
sauromatian wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:
So then the edition order would be (?):
1st: original cover with no bar at bottom; runic counters.
2nd: original cover with bar at bottom; figures on matte counters
3rd: new cover on digest-sized booklet; figures on glossy counters.

I wasn't aware that the map changed. My set has a map c. 1975, figures on counters with a textured surface but not especially glossy-looking (to me at least), & a digest booklet with the newer cover.

I believe that is correct.

I can compare the 2nd and 3rd counters again, but I'm pretty sure the finish was the only difference.

I am not sure that the map changed in a significant way. My 3rd edition map is missing the copyright notice in the bottom right corner that the other editions have, but it looks the same otherwise. However, I haven't done a close comparison.

I finally got my White Bear & Red Moon copies out of the basement and did a close comparison of the maps.

The 1st and 2nd edition maps look identical, assuming that I actually HAVE both editions. Since my "2nd edition" set actually has a 3rd edition rulebook, I can't swear the map is correct.

The 3rd edition map is functionally identical to the earlier version. However, it is on yellow paper instead of brown, is missing the copyright notice, and has some different colors of ink (water is blue instead of gray, the large green letters are a different shade, etc.).

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 105 of 111123 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 109110111