Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 102 of 111123 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:54 pm 

Mars wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:The only problem is that now I have breached the $1K+ for 1 item benchmark.  15 years ago I thought I was insane for spending $100 on a single item.  After the first purchase at that price, the second was so much easier, ... slippery slope.

I'm 15 years behind Mars.  This is good to know.   :D

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:15 pm 

So Steve, that means by the time you're willing to spend 1K on an item, mullets will be back in vogue!

Oh and thank you for the mention of the warpstone magazine. By ebay search did pick it up, but that was a full day after you referenced it.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:13 pm 

These just arrived last night and I was pretty happy with all of them, except for the Player's Handbook, which appeared to be cropped poorly. The bottom of the pages have too much white space and the tops of the pages are cut at the header, almost cutting off the text.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I know that these were not a great deal, but pretty good considering no shipping costs and the Arduin Grimoire books were in great shape, but laminated, so I will use them as play copies ;-)

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:42 pm 

PM-Knight wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:These just arrived last night and I was pretty happy with all of them, except for the Player's Handbook, which appeared to be cropped poorly. The bottom of the pages have too much white space and the tops of the pages are cut at the header, almost cutting off the text.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I know that these were not a great deal, but pretty good considering no shipping costs and the Arduin Grimoire books were in great shape, but laminated, so I will use them as play copies ;-)

Um... no... This is a great deal...   :D

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 pm 

Suspicion, TSR boardgame from 1977. Basically Clue I guess, but with cover sort of like the pink ad on the 2nd post here:
Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs
Same artist?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:19 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:Suspicion, TSR boardgame from 1977. Basically Clue I guess, but with cover sort of like the pink ad on the 2nd post here:
Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs
Same artist?

I was once told (I forget who told me) that the Suspicion cover was a photograph of TSR staffers.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:16 pm 

tool wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:I was once told (I forget who told me) that the Suspicion cover was a photograph of TSR staffers.

That would account for all the beards. The Top Secret module Orient Express has photos of TSR staff as well.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:01 am 

On the face of it the BIN was a decent price for a later Holmes Box Set in good condition...
5th or 6th print
However: this listing offered a little something extra.
Check the right side of the first picture.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:48 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

On the face of it the BIN was a decent price for a later Holmes Box Set in good condition...
5th or 6th print
However: this listing offered a little something extra.
Check the right side of the first picture.

I saw that one. What's in the shrinkwrap?

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:55 am 

It looks like an Outdoor Geomorphs.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:08 am 

Set one of Dungeon Geos.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:32 am 

Yep, that's what I get for answering without checking.  ST is right.  Dungeon Geomorphs Set One.  That's standard for a Holmes box set, but they weren't shrinkwrapped, if I recall correctly.  This one is.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:47 am 

The Dungeon Geos were only present in Lizard-logo Basic Sets (replaced by B1 in Wizard-logo sets, which this one has).  So the Dungeon Geo was definitely an aftermarket addition.

A great score for $25!

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:29 pm 

The $20 shipping takes the polish off, but still not shabby.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:38 pm 

SimperingToad wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:The $20 shipping takes the polish off, but still not shabby.

Yes, and this is the main reason I hesitated for a while after seeing the listing.
Also because I already have this printing (5th/6th) of Holmes.

Eventually, the SWed Dungeon Geos pulled me in.
I will likely keep the Geos and re-list the box set with a MUCH lower shipping rate BTW...

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:40 pm 

Toad and Foul are both right.
It is (I am fairly sure) the Set One Dungeon Geos in SW, which were not a part of the later Wizard Logo Holmes Box Set.
So this set is an additional bonus item.

Gnat the Beggar wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:
SimperingToad wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:The $20 shipping takes the polish off, but still not shabby.

Yes, and this is the main reason I hesitated for a while after seeing the listing.
Also because I already have this printing (5th/6th) of Holmes.

Eventually, the SWed Dungeon Geos pulled me in.
I will likely keep the Geos and re-list the box set with a MUCH lower shipping rate BTW...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:02 pm 

Gnat, when you get that set can you take a close look at this little sheet?

Obviously it is a cut-out of the equipment list, perhaps from a photocopy, but it also looks like some writing was added to the bottom. I'd be interested in finding out what this says. Is it some form of player handout or improvised character sheet? Also if there is anything on the back or if there are any other sheets.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:36 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:Gnat, when you get that set can you take a close look at this little sheet?

[ Image ]

Obviously it is a cut-out of the equipment list, perhaps from a photocopy, but it also looks like some writing was added to the bottom. I'd be interested in finding out what this says. Is it some form of player handout or improvised character sheet? Also if there is anything on the back or if there are any other sheets.

Will let you know.
Can scan both sides and post them if you want.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 102 of 111123 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 109110111