Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 101 of 111123 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:34 am 

ExTSR wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:After moving, dug thru over 200 old cassettes to be sold/tossed/whatever.
Found 4 of gamer interest...

* "The Mountain of Time" D&D audio adventure prototype (IJE/Kidstuff Records);
* "D&D Radio Pilot", from when I spent the day in Chicago rewriting the script in the studio (only aired a couple of times iirc);
* a radio interview (about RPGA and cons) with me, Penny Petticord, and Rembert Parker from June 1985; and
* a tape poorly marked "RPGA Interviews", which I can't play at the moment, but which might have the original audio of my 1981 interview with Gary, published in "RPGA News" #1+2 (prior to it becoming The Polyhedron).

Looking forward to transferring all to digital.

F

If you need help transferring, I do that kind of stuff for a living. I'd be happy to help.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:16 am 

Morning all!

While in Salem MA this past weekend (daughter is looking at the college there), I happened to find a few D&D books in town.  Two gazetteers I'm missing aren't altogether exciting, but I happened to find a Basic Boxed Set in near mint condition (magenta box with Otus work).  I noticed a few interesting things with this set, different than my boxed sets at home.  One, the rule book and B2 book seem to be too big for the box.  The B2 is not a first print.  Second, the sealed dice bag had the older style dice (red) but included a yellow crayon.  I've never seen a yellow crayon before (I have plenty of white and blue crayons).  Needless to say, I bought the box set.  it was nicer than mine and had a sealed dice/crayon bag (and the price was right!).

Questions:  Is there a rarity to crayon color?  Has anyone seen a yellow crayon before?  Also, do others have books that are too big for the box?  I've seen this for other boxed sets but my other two copies of this basic box aren't this way (I think).

Side note:   the comic book store had several Gazetteers (a couple were incomplete though) and an average copy of Planescape Dead Gods, if anyone is close to Salem and interested.  They wanted $90 for it but you can negotiate 10% off (as I did for the four books I purchased).

~throwi

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:03 pm 

e-Bay can still be a mini gold mine if you get lucky and look at the right time in the right place.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Just ended a short time ago, a D&D lot that I noticed with just a few minutes left in the auction.
I checked the pictures and decided to risk it.
After I placed my bid; I sent the seller some questions, some of which he has already answered (after the listing ended).
1) The Deities and Demigods book is a first print with no thank you note on page 4 and it has 144 numbered pages (two of my questions).
It is in decent condition with some dinged corner issues; this book made this lot worth a good portion of the purchase price.
2) The dice are the old school softer rounded corner type, worth a good amount as well.
3) There are two metal Miniatures Boxed Sets, one being Wizards & Warriors and the other is the Stock number 2003 Dwarves Set, do not know if either is complete.
4) A copy of each of the three main Core Rules books (DMG/PHB/MM); None of them are 1st prints and the DMG is in very rough condition, the PHB is a play copy, and the MM looks better.
5) A Holmes Basic Box Set (Incomplete, with a torn up rule book, thrashed box, and no module, but it does include the dice mentioned above).
and
6) An early DM Screen. The DM Screen pictured is a 2nd or 3rd print with the Wizard Logo, but no - "Printed in USA" on the bottom left of the front cover and the art print does wrap around to the inside of the cover as seen in the last few pics.
Seller listed two screens in the description, but I think it is just the one screen including both sets of panels.

Cannot wait to get this box of goodies in my mail box.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:07 am 

I picked this up from the post office today:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

The box is in great shape, the books are in great shape.  The only drawback is the stain on the bottom of the sticker and some fading on the coloured lettering on the box.  Happy to have add the first woodgrain set to my collection.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:21 am 

Nice pick-up, John.

Congrats, Mark. The box looks like it's in really great shape.  Sharp corners and all.  Very sweet.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:40 am 

Very nice   :)

Mars wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:I picked this up from the post office today:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

The box is in great shape, the books are in great shape.  The only drawback is the stain on the bottom of the sticker and some fading on the coloured lettering on the box.  Happy to have add the first woodgrain set to my collection.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:25 am 

Mars wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:I picked this up from the post office today:

I had a looooong look at that when it went up for auction. A lovely looking set and from the pictures the minor cover stain did not look too bad at all. Congratulations, a very very nice set indeed.  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:32 am 

I almost bid on that as well, but got distracted and forgot. Enjoy!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:36 am 

nice looking set Mark, congratulations!

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:15 am 

The box is in great shape, the books are in great shape.  
The only drawback is the stain on the bottom of the sticker and some fading on the coloured lettering on the box.  
Happy to have add the first woodgrain set to my collection.

I also seriously considered bidding on this listing and did bid early on just to get it into my queue.
Decided to pass... as I was also seriously considering a large purchase at the same time and could not do both.
Passed on that one too though.... sigh...
Nice pick up Mark and the price is amazingly low.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:07 pm 

I never post here because I really never find a really, really good deal but maybe once every few years. Anyway, at a HPB yesterday I found a 1st edition, 1st print Deities and Demigods, in really nice shape, for $10.  Time to reset the clock for another couple years until I make another nice find......!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:35 pm 

Badmike wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:I never post here because I really never find a really, really good deal but maybe once every few years. Anyway, at a HPB yesterday I found a 1st edition, 1st print Deities and Demigods, in really nice shape, for $10.  Time to reset the clock for another couple years until I make another nice find......!

Mike B.

Congrats!  I know what you mean about the intervals between good finds/deals.  Speaking of which, I am now due...any year now.   :|

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:23 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:Nice pick up Mark and the price is amazingly low.

I think it was a good price for the quality too.

The only problem is that now I have breached the $1K+ for 1 item benchmark.  15 years ago I thought I was insane for spending $100 on a single item.  After the first purchase at that price, the second was so much easier, ... slippery slope.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:35 am 

Welcome to the dark side, Mark!

Here's my latest slippery slope...

Attachment:
DSCN0266.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:20 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Fun Finds in the Past:Welcome to the dark side, Mark!

Here's my latest slippery slope...

Attachment:
DSCN0266.JPG

That's not a slope. That's the Grand Canyon!  :D

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:50 pm 

Very nice :) where did you pick those up from?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:02 pm 

Thank you :)

Rahasia came from ebay a couple weeks ago.  The tape on the binding is pretty brittle.  I'm concerned it may lift right off if I'm not careful handling it.  

Pharoah was from an Acaeum deal a few months back.  That copy is sweet, only blemish would be the price tag residue in the corner.

Neither was as pricey as the author copy(ies) sold recently  :wink:

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:57 pm 

Hi Mark,

I am actually somewhat relieved to find out that I lost this auction to you, but I'm surprised that this is your first woodie (no pun intended). I have been trying to get one for several years now, but tough to find in collectible condition and for a fair price. I was the bidder just under you and I had submitted a 2nd bid near the $1,500 mark, but eBay puked after I clicked submit. My wife went to other room as the slew of expletives aimed at eBay came pouring out  :oops:

Enjoy for all of us who are still trying and hopefully I will be lucky enough one of these days to get a collectible set.

Take care - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 101 of 111123 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 109110111