Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 99 of 111123 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:06 pm 

what a sleeper.  gratz.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 pm 

NICE Blackmoor...
VERY NICE!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:00 am 

Nice catch Blackmoor!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:48 am 

Was that a BIN? I'm not seeing any bid data available.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:05 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:Was that a BIN? I'm not seeing any bid data available.

Yes it was a BIN

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:22 pm 

mmmmm monster manual smell
nice buy Jeff

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm 

This was a fun find, Paypal just put $20 in my account & said Happy Holidays.  Completely not expected... Who says buying rpgs can't bring smiles :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:11 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I watched copies of this book sell for over $150 just a few weeks ago.
It was listed with a BIN of $39.99 (with a make an offer choice) and I offered $32 which was accepted.
I think what I paid for this copy is more reasonable than well over $100.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:43 am 

Hi Gnat,

I am glad that it went to a good home!!  I paid $5.00 for two of them in a game store clearance box, so I figured I would offer it up cheap for quick cash.  

Enjoy!!  :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:05 am 

That seems like a reasonable price.  $100+ for these is quite high, I think.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:17 am 

I had a pretty productive couple months of collection expansion. I plan to sell some of these in order to help recoup the expenses...

A full run of TSR UK's D&D Players Association News. These are keepers for sure, and definitely worth it for the reading value alone. I've been slowly adding issue & article details to rpggeek.

Met Alpha 1st print
Alma Mater
The Future King (somehow these things seem to find me when I am hunting)
Heroes of Poseidonis (ditto; Supergame stuff seems magnetically attracted to me)
Eldritch Wizardry (only a 9th print IIRC and not the best shape, but I don't own one, so I'll take it)
Wargame Rules (still researching this … maybe 1960-1970 or so)
AC2 in shrink, but with a slightly bent corner

A full run of The Strategic Review...

Two copies of The Dragon #1, one in great shape (to be sold), and one in lesser shape (to be kept)
The Dragon #9
Three additional issue of The Strategic Review (above and beyond the aforementioned full set)

Tegel Manor (1st printing, 2nd release)
City State of the World Emperor (sadly no cover sheet)
Modron (1st printing, no Journal M, but includes Monstrous Statistics sheet)
Revised City State of the Invincible Overlord (3rd or 4th print)

The Book of Treasure Maps 1-3
The Uknown Gods
The Book of Ruins

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:16 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote:I had a pretty productive couple months of collection expansion. I plan to sell some of these in order to help recoup the expenses...

Hey Guy,

Very nice items!
Looking them over, I can guess that I was involved in about half of those auctions if you had bought them off Ebay
I didn't know I was bidding off against you. :P

Best regards,
Ronald

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:30 pm 

That's possible we were bidding against one another in some of those, but IIRC less than half of those were from eBay. Most of my successful hunts happen in physical stores, flea markets, conventions, etc. Some of the above items were "rescued" from a store that knew what they had (and wanted fair prices), but didn't go out of their way to make the items known. For example, I bought one of The Dragon #1s and some of the SRs specifically so that I could turn around and sell them to some other appreciative collectors, instead of letting them languish forever in the store.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm 

Well, sometimes the item isn't the most valuable but the one that reminds you why you still play.  One that brings you back to your youth.

Recently, I saw the 'Tomb of St. Duncan' for sale from the '84 MassConfusion.  MassConfusion was my first convention and my D&D club in high school saved for a year for all of us to go.  

Well, I recall playing a tournament module at that con and thought that the description of this one matched.  As a group, we failed horribly in the tournament; I believe we were the first out - our mage cast a fireball that bounced back and killed us all.  Seriously, we were out in a few minutes.  We were victims of the tomb...

Although we died quickly, that Con was very memorable.  I met W.J. Wheeler from the Companions there, and he convinced me to buy 'Brotherhood of the Bolt'.  Loved that mod, still use it today.  Just wish I could have bought a few others then.

Anyway, picking up the 'Tomb of St. Duncan' was more than finding the final piece of a collection - it was reliving those exciting times of the 80s when it was all new and all consuming!

-Throwi

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:50 am 

I've been checking out a thrift store by my house for about the last 5 years and have rarely found anything D&D-related, but yesterday it finally happened!  Found the Master and Immortal Box Sets and the Moldvay Basic Set (just rulebook and module).  Cool things: 1) I don't have the Master and Immortal box sets and never imagined owning them considering their prices on ebay and such; 2) the boxes are in pretty decent condition and the Immortal set had IM1 and IM2 inside in addition to the rulebooks; and 3)  got all three boxes for a combined cost of $4.61!  Makes those 5 years of virtually nothing worth it!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:21 pm 

staro wrote:got all three boxes for a combined cost of $4.61!  Makes those 5 years of virtually nothing worth it!

Well, you've inspired me to start checking my local thrift stores again!  Congratulations on your finds (and I'm a bit jealous, missing those 2 boxed set too!).

-Throwi

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:25 am 

Bio One, with some nice & gory hit-location tables. The publication data is enigmatic: written in 1974, printed some time later. Suggested for use with Boot Hill, but no mention of D&D in either the text or the lengthy product listing. There is a little detail given here: Obscure Collecting Knowledge
And here: BIO ONE
But still more questions than answers.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:43 am 

Congrats to the winner of this:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Auction Hunter does find some diamonds-in-the-rough, from time to time!

Foul

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 99 of 111123 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 109110111