Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 96 of 111123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:26 pm 

The Holmes Basic sets have long had a hold on me, and the UK printing of this box set was an item I have hoped to one day obtain.
This has long been on my wish list and I thought I might never obtain a nice copy, much less at such a relatively low cost.
My most recent fun find....
Purchased from a UK seller for less than $35 plus shipping costs...

I think that this is the Second UK print of the Holmes Edition Basic Box Set, though the copyright page (blue rulebook) states 2nd Edition, November 1978.
References Halflings instead of Hobbits at bottom of page 11, in blue rulebook.

2-1/4" Tall Box: Has the Lizard Logo on the box top (lower left corner), stock number 1001 (top right corner), and the GW fairy logo on the box bottom.
Box has light to moderate shelf wear with small bit of top dishing, has a damaged bit on the box top on one side but no serious crushing or torn corners.
Contents are all Near Mint and it does include the loose extra copy of Page 31/32 of the Module B-1.

The single box on the right side is the featured box for this post, the other two are later US prints of the Holmes set.
ImageImage

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:02 pm 

Nice pick up on that Gnat :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:30 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:2-1/4" Tall Box: Has the Lizard Logo on the box top (lower left corner), stock number 1001 (top right corner), and the GW fairy logo on the box bottom.
Box has light to moderate shelf wear with small bit of top dishing, has a damaged bit on the box top on one side but no serious crushing or torn corners.
Contents are all Near Mint and it does include the loose extra copy of Page 31/32 of the Module B-1.

Nice one, John.  I didn't even know this existed.  What's the story on the loose extra page from B1?---is it unique to the GW B1 printings, or it is something that's usually lost since it's a loose sheet, etc.?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:43 pm 

And there is one more print than what is stated on Acaeum. I opened a thread about this box few weeks ago, if I am able to raise dead, we could compare your copies and mine.

EDIT: here is the topic
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11537

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:52 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:And there is one more print than what is stated on Acaeum. I opened a thread about this box few weeks ago, if I am able to raise dead, we could compare your copies and mine.
EDIT: here is the topic
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11537

My blue book is exactly like your blue book (on the right), with prices for every item on the back cover.

I think perhaps the Acaeum's foreign editions listing is slightly off in that Hobbits are not mentioned on page 11 in either book, though I am only guessing as I do not have a copy of that other one.
Perhaps someone here has one or more copies and will check the book(s) for that Hobbit Reference on page 11.

Grodog; the loose extra copy of the back page of B-1 is a new thing for me as was the Holmes UK Edition Basic Set.
In fact the only reason I knew it was supposed to be there is once it arrived I looked at the UK listings and read about it there.
I thought perhaps it was just a zerox sheet, though the copiers made back then could not have made that sheet when this box set was new.
As for rarity: I would guess this loose page gets lost or tossed out at least as often as the mailers and flyers do in these sorts of Basic sets.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm 

I seem to recall not too long ago finding an extra loose sheet in a late Holmes box (U.S. version). Alas! I no longer have any sets other than the 4th+ I kept. I believe this was the exact printing I began with, though I never owned a copy until about 4-5 years ago.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:51 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:The single box on the right side is the featured box for this post, the other two are later US prints of the Holmes set.

Thanks for the nice side-by-side pic. I just re-posted it on my blog to share with the Holmes fandom.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:56 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:The Holmes Basic sets have long had a hold on me, and the UK printing of this box set was an item I have hoped to one day obtain.
This has long been on my wish list and I thought I might never obtain a nice copy, much less at such a relatively low cost.
My most recent fun find....
Purchased from a UK seller for less than $35 plus shipping costs...

I think that this is the Second UK print of the Holmes Edition Basic Box Set, though the copyright page (blue rulebook) states 2nd Edition, November 1978.
References Halflings instead of Hobbits at bottom of page 11, in blue rulebook.

2-1/4" Tall Box: Has the Lizard Logo on the box top (lower left corner), stock number 1001 (top right corner), and the GW fairy logo on the box bottom.

]

I just found myself a (possibly) 6th print of this in good condition after seeing your post Gnat. Got that and the Best of Dragon Games box set for £20 inc shipping, which I didn't think was too bad.
My Holmes has B2 in it though, not B1, but it has the dice and the chits which are unpunched. :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:37 am 

I just made a huge score on eBay...

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/20 ... it-on.html

Joe / GG

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:15 am 

That's a great score of oldness :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:46 am 

Indeed, even if boxes are incomplete, this is an awesome score!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:12 am 

Greyhawk Grognard wrote:I just made a huge score on eBay...

Joe / GG

WOW!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:52 am 

Greyhawk Grognard wrote:I just made a huge score on eBay...

Joe / GG

I am very interested in hearing about that loose leaf copy of Thieves Guild 10.

By the time 10 came out, they were no longer printing loose leaf....as far as I know.

Are we looking at an unknown printing, or is that a photocopy?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:36 pm 

That has to be a photocopy.  Only 1-5 had looseleaf versions, as far as I know.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:22 pm 

I have been looking for these "on the cheap" for a while. Individually, they seem to go for $75-100, so (assuming these are in the condition that they appear to be in) I am pretty happy with them at $50 per book. I am not really a 3.X collector, but the price on these 3.5 volumes has me pretty happy  :D

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:56 am 

nevcoup wrote:I have been looking for these "on the cheap" for a while. Individually, they seem to go for $75-100, so (assuming these are in the condition that they appear to be in) I am pretty happy with them at $50 per book. I am not really a 3.X collector, but the price on these 3.5 volumes has me pretty happy  :D

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

That's a great purchase!  :D

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:09 am 

I haven't posted any pics in a while but I just had a spell of good fortune and thought I'd share...

So I was visiting my flgs picking up my pre-order yesterday:
Attachment:
DSCN5056.JPG

...which are superb and I quite like, then the owner pointed out a stack of old books that came in from a customer that he put aside for me (knowing that I like this stuff :))
Attachment:
DSCN5057.JPG

... which looked very interesting, here's what they were:
Attachment:
DSCN5058.JPG

Except for the stain on the G1, all in tip-top shape, complete (even the DL11), and a few of them first prints too...  I've got a spot in my collection for most of those goodies :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:37 pm 

davidc wrote:
Except for the stain on the G1, all in tip-top shape, complete (even the DL11), and a few of them first prints too...  I've got a spot in my collection for most of those goodies :)

Freakin' Sweet!  :)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 96 of 111123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 109110111