Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 95 of 111123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Bargain? (not me, I forgot to bid :( )

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Yes me too.. well up my bid anyway..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:36 am 

An unused Holmes set, $10 from HPB. Best of Dragon flyer, customer response card, dice in baggie. Crisp, white, un-turned pages. November '78 first printing, with a mis-aligned B1 cover. Now filled with bubble wrap & encased in plastic.

A fun find, but something which hasn't always been my cup of tea. I usually like copies that look like they're old & worn, & I don't seek out multiples. So I'll keep this, but it now occupies a somewhat unique position in my collection. Maybe it shall be the one thing I take with me to the old folks home, for use as a time machine to start all over before the end.

Let's review how B1-era Holmes changed the world. By early 1979, this printing would have reached store shelves. In July of that year, the Disco Sucks riots erupted. President Jimmy Carter attempted to stem the chaos with his "malaise" speech, but to no avail. One full year after my set was printed, the Evil High Priest's minions stormed the American embassy in Tehran. The first commercial rap record was published. Things would never be the same.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:02 pm 

First off-I'm back-I took a long break from collecting, because I was getting bored and it was getting expensive. I still had an ad up on Kijiji-and I would get offers to buy from time to time-but nothing exciting.
Guy emailed me saying he had a big collection for sale-all 1st ed. Everything was in great shape-I managed to get grade upgrades on a significant portion of my collection. But these were the real gems:
The Bloodstone Pass set is unpunched and uncut. QotS has the map. EotP is in VG shape.
The only downside? This guy was no rube-He wanted 400 for everything-and wouldn't split anything up. He also had some monochrome modules too.
Watch for ads in Classified soon  :)

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:47 pm 

Nice lot of stuff!!

flyingmelon wrote:First off-I'm back-I took a long break from collecting, because I was getting bored and it was getting expensive. I still had an ad up on Kijiji-and I would get offers to buy from time to time-but nothing exciting.
Guy emailed me saying he had a big collection for sale-all 1st ed. Everything was in great shape-I managed to get grade upgrades on a significant portion of my collection. But these were the real gems:
[ Image ]
The Bloodstone Pass set is unpunched and uncut. QotS has the map. EotP is in VG shape.
The only downside? This guy was no rube-He wanted 400 for everything-and wouldn't split anything up. He also had some monochrome modules too.
Watch for ads in Classified soon  :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:50 pm 

Expert Set, 1981. I had ignored this publication in the old days, making the leap from Basic to Advanced. Plus I never liked the cover for the 1981 Basic Set. There was an entire era of color painting, from the Basic edition Character Sheets cover to Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, which looked like paint smeared directly from tube to canvas. The Expert Set cover looks much better.

The Expert book was another big snooze back then, didn't seem to add anything. But these days I'm more appreciative of compact, efficient rules. As is, I've filled the box with the the Basic book, X2, & the Hexagonal Mapping Booklet. All from 1981 & a mostly Moldvay production. Together they are a good survey of the D&D world, from the sample dungeons, to the wilderness of X1, to the intrigue & extra-dimensional portals of X2, with enough tiny little blank hexes to record it all. The overall game experience you would get from playing it out would be similar to OD&D + Outdoor Survival, with the PCs wandering unsettled areas & getting lost a lot, then happening upon isolated spots of deranged civilization.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:01 pm 

Thought I would share a fun and rather unusual find with you folks...
Recently purchased a lot that included the PHB and MM UK Softcover version Rule Books.

Below are some pictures of the Monster Manual
All pages are present and intact, however, pages 62 and 63 are totally blank with no printing whatsoever, not even the page numbers.
All other pages are as they should be including the other side of the same sheets for those pages.
IE. The front side of page 62 is blank but the other side (page 61) is normal, and page 64 is normal while the other side of that same sheet (page 63) is blank.
See pictures below.

I have never seen this before and neither of my two other copies of the UK sofcover MM have this issue.

ImageImage

ImageImage

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:49 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Thought I would share a fun and rather unusual find with you folks...
Recently purchased a lot that included the PHB and MM UK Softcover version Rule Books.

Below are some pictures of the Monster Manual
All pages are present and intact, however, pages 62 and 63 are totally blank with no printing whatsoever, not even the page numbers.
All other pages are as they should be including the other side of the same sheets for those pages.
IE. The front side of page 62 is blank but the other side (page 61) is normal, and page 64 is normal while the other side of that same sheet (page 63) is blank.
See pictures below.

I have never seen this before and neither of my two other copies of the UK sofcover MM have this issue.

Thanks for sharing!
Never seen such print error in a UK softcover book.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:50 pm 

Actually, it's not a recent fun find, but I finally got these framed.  Original maps from Harn.  I'm mighty pleased.  The wife even let me hang one in my office near the front door.  The other is in the basement.

:D

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:26 pm 

Those were a great buy, and very nice looking frames, especially for the size of those maps. PDT_Armataz_01_37

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:38 pm 

Nice job Bracton, those look very sharp.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:52 am 

Best part about these, not through ebay!  Kijiji rocks :)

Here's a SW Greyhawk lot...
Attachment:
DSCN3717.JPG

And some AD&D minis all NIB :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:44 pm 

Are those from Sudbury?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:47 pm 

Yes, did you pick anything up?  There were a bunch of lots, very fair prices :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:31 pm 

davidc wrote:Best part about these, not through ebay!  Kijiji rocks :)

Here's a SW Greyhawk lot...
Attachment:
DSCN3717.JPG

And some AD&D minis all NIB :)

Nice catch David ! :D
A few rather high value items in the Greyhawk SW lot !

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:14 pm 

I went to a yard sale this morning and this guy was selling a pretty large collection of 1st and 2nd ed.-Everything's in fantastic shape and complete, plus i managed to fill in some gaps and upgrade pieces of my collection. I was especially pleased to get a bunch of DL stuff, and the Cardmaster game-complete and uncut. The icing on this cake? DL2, DL7 DL8 and 9 were in shrink.
Now I know you are wondering, how did I stumble across such a lucky find? He called me the night before-saw my want ad on Kijiji  :D
Other best part-200 for everything.

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:47 pm 

flyingmelon
FYI: Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (5th picture) is a mini adventure that was originally part of the DM Screen shown in your 4th pic.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:20 am 

You got your money's worth.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:52 am 

A couple of weekend ago I went to a local collectors fair; mainly baseball cards (which I have been collecting for many years), but other odds and ends as well. I have never been a fan of comic books of any kind, but my wife found me these:

Dungeons and Dragons comics in spanish 'Dragones y Mazmorras'. Never seen them before.

'Conan Rey' and 'Conan el Barbaro'. Fun stuff

The Justice League comic I bought to show my kids that Green Lantern and all of the rest were around when I was a kid. They think the world started when they were born.  :)

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 95 of 111123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 109110111